Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Had a spare afternoon yesterday so finally got around to installing my Eisenmann Race exhaust!

Laid out prior to installation

View from under the car

Much angle grinding later...

Job done

Extreme close up!

All up it took me a bit over four hours, but a lot of time was spent cutting and re-cutting the first pipe on the stock exhaust to get the length just right. After that, the second pipe was a breeze. The stock mufflers were a pain in the rear to remove as they have large caps on the ends to stop them sliding off the hangers.

I was initially concerned how I'd go about enlarging the cutout in the rear bumper to make room for the quad tips, but ended up just using a flexible hacksaw blade and some fine sandpaper and all was good.

Quite pleased with the overall result and saved myself $250 with the DIY. :D

Cheers,
Brian

·
Registered
343 Posts
you did it! you are one skillful mechanic! i dont think i can ever do this DIY. and i didn't know that it costs this much in Australia.

wow, and the bumper exhaust holes are very clean, you did a good job grinding it!

do you like the sound of it? where is the audio file?! :)

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you did it! you are one skillful mechanic! i dont think i can ever do this DIY. and i didn't know that it costs this much in Australia.

wow, and the bumper exhaust holes are very clean, you did a good job grinding it!
Thanks for that, I am willing to have a go at most things although not particularly expert in anything. Plus in Australia there is always the DIY incentive of the obscene prices that tradespeople charge: $100 an hour is not uncommon. :mad:

I was worried about cutting the bumper but I just traced out the shape I wanted and took it slow with a flexible hacksaw blade - one of the best bang for your buck tools IMHO.

do you like the sound of it? where is the audio file?! :)
The sound when you crack the throttle is just insane! :D

I've not heard anything like it and I'm no stranger to cars with performance exhausts. I'm still getting used to it at cruising speed though - it doesn't drone at all but it's significantly louder than stock.

Audio file is coming, but it's a only a weekend car so you guys will have to be patient... ;)

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
OK, this is for all those who wanted a sample of the exhaust sound.

As with pretty much every other recording of an exhaust, this doesn't even begin to do the Eisenmann system justice. You just can't capture the rawness and vibration of the experience that you feel as well as hear. So in an attempt to compensate, please make sure you turn the volume up LOUD! :D

Anyway, without any further ado, here's a short clip of yours truly leaving the supermarket and taking the groceries home:

http://s865.photobucket.com/user/bacccy/media/Eisenmann_zps5b6e9a32.mp4.html

I do apologise for the camera positioning and the hairiness of my arms, not to mention the camera falling over at the end due to the extreme acceleration... ;)

Cheers,
Brian

·
Premium Member 2008 SLK55 AMG "Mabel"
14,447 Posts
finally got to hear file (see bite me)!! worth the effort ..... sounds sweet ... nice 1, and good job on the fitting.

·
Banned
992 Posts
Sounds so much better than stock. Well worth the effort.

BTW, my neighbour is not so keen at 7.15 am on a Sunday morning, meh...

;)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Its very difficult to capture the feel of a sound, but you can tell its there. Its sounds great!
I'm very impressed with you and your hack saw blade !
Good Job

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
great work man , be good to get together and compare car notes... clean job by you and your welding
The car really sounds fully sik now, bro! :D

Can't take the credit for the welding, the sleeves were put on for me by a mate who is very handy and owns lots of expensive tools.

Cheers,
Brian

1 - 17 of 17 Posts