Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I drove the car just fine to my mom's house. Once I got there I came back out about 20 minutes later to move the car and now it wont even start... Let me explain though. I've had trouble with the K40 Relay in the past. I removed the relay and resoldered a good number of points in the relay. However, I'm not the best at soldering. I was sure not to make any of the links touch and I have not checked the relay again, I did not clean old solder off and resolder, i just basically heated up, reseated the solder and added more to it. I probably should watch some soldering techniques online. ANYWAYS...

This occasion I couldn't get the lights to flash or door locks to open... I've previously self diagnosed a bad PSE pump... but kind of trying to deal without it seeing as how i dont have 600$ for a new one and cant find a good replacement... BUT... the locks still mostly work... but i tried to open with the key and start... fired right up but IMMEDIATELY shut itself off.... i thought hmmm... weird... tried to start up again.... same thing... fired up and immediately died... on the third try... it didn't even turn over... dome lights still work in the car... and I just replaced the battery not much over a year ago so the battery is good and plus the battery was tested not long ago to see if it was bad... i let it go... drove mom's car for an hour or two came back... plugged up my handy dandy Carsoft i980 and went to diagnose and accidentally turned too far out of haste and it started right up.... weird right? it gets worse.... i thought well i dont want to get stranded... and im not sure whats wrong so ill come back to this and figure something out... turned off... came back... same thing happened... started right up then shut off twice... third time it wont even turn over... It's like there's some sort of antitheft **** going wrong with it or something? I'm so blown away by this... ALSO... im getting CEL transmission codes about circuits being low but im unsure whether this is because of a problem in the actual connection or what... pretty much dont really know where to start... they read as some sort of CAN Bus communication fault... but I have no idea what the CAN bus is, if i can replace it... repair it... or what? I'm just kind of up a creek right now... ANY SUGGESTIONS WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!! PLEASE AND THANK YOU GUYS!!!:crying::crying::crying:

·
Founding Member 2006
108,893 Posts
Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from Valrico, Florida!

Some tips to make your visit here more enjoyable:
If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
If you wish to become PM (Private Message) capable, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM.
Want to post a picture? Start a new thread or make a post, click ‘edit’, click on the ‘paper clip’ or ‘advanced’ and/or ‘manage attachments’ then ‘choose file’ then ‘upload’ and ‘submit’! If Iphone pics, you need to rename any additional pics as Iphone names its pics all the same, image.jpg.
Want to ‘like’ or thank’ someone’s comments? Use the ‘like’ button to the right or the ‘Thanks’ button, bottom right of any post you like. This saves you having to comment.
New members should be aware that the 'New Posts' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under ‘quick links’ when you leave.
Post your vin in the Vehicle Datacard Request section to get a free datacard (options on your car). You must update your profile with vehicle info and your location and post an introduction first.
Also vote or enter our Ride of the Month competition: ROTM Submissions & Voting - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum

Thank you
Jeff
Moderator/Founding Member/Ride of the Month Coordinator

·
Registered 2000 SLK320
348 Posts
Hi had a similar problem with my 320 and took 6 months
Of intermittent faults before I finally tracked it down so it may well be worth checking out on your car.
Follow the +I've cable from the battery terminal until you get to a small black box take the box off its mount and open the lid there should be the main fuses in there 2 X 50 amp and the main 200amp fuse that supplies everything, check the nuts on the 200amp fuse are tight if they are a bit loose remove the nuts and check the fuse for arcing and pitting give it a good clean then refit the fuse and nuts and tighten to required torque.

Worth a try.

Regards Stuart

·
*Premium Member
2009 SLK55 AMG
14,633 Posts
Welcome from the Sacramento Valley SLK Enthusiasts!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i actually thought about buying it honestly.... but its hard to find and rather expensive last time i checked they were like 200$ or so? i dont know... but i'm actually at wits end with this car... I've replaced everything and everything just keeps on messing up man... such a great car when it runs right but i am chalking this car up to being a lemon really.... seals are horrible and really bad on this car... everywhere theres rubber its majorly disintegrated.... pretty crappy for such an expensive car....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
definitely will try this! thanks! are you referring to the box the k40 relay is in? or no? I'm actually going to be around the car tomorrow but wont be around it until then its 30 minutes away at the parents house and im home for the night... :/ this whole situation is sooo lame....

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG
11,537 Posts
Hi and welcome from the UK Midlands! :)

Also, when replying to individual posts, rather than clicking the "Quick Reply" button, if you click "Quote" below the post you're responding to, it will provide a quote of the post that you're responding to. This is useful because it makes it clear which post you're replying to, and it's more likely to notifying the original poster that you've responded to what they posted too. :D

Reactions: jbanks15

·
Registered 2000 SLK320
348 Posts
definitely will try this! thanks! are you referring to the box the k40 relay is in? or no? I'm actually going to be around the car tomorrow but wont be around it until then its 30 minutes away at the parents house and im home for the night... :/ this whole situation is sooo lame....
No it's not the box the k40 relay is in, put your hand on the positive terminal and follow the wire to the black box it should be near the negative side of the battery.

Regards Stuart.

·
Registered 2000 SLK320
348 Posts
oh my fault guys!!! I have no idea how to do this forum thing, this is the first time ive ever been on something like this! thanks for the advice t140v and dbgrn
Stick with the forum and the car and I'm sure you will get to know how both work, its pretty daunting trying a forum out never mind first time ever.

I am sure Jeff and the other moderators will point you in the right direction and other SLK 320 owners will have some fault finding tips, for you.

Regards Stuart.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.