Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
WESTERN BILL
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got the trailer hitch installed. It took less than 30 minutes. Wiring isn't too pretty (hanging out of trunk now) but that will be cleaned up soon. The trailer is custom-made aluminum engineered to be light weight, and the total trailer weight with the golf cart is about 1150 pounds. Tongue weight is only 40 pounds. There were two impacts: first, the spare is a little difficult to get out because of the brace inside the spare well (see picture). The second is that the transmission shifts at slightly higher RPM (automatic). It pulls fine.

·
Super Moderator 2010 SLK300 2LOOK
14,891 Posts
OMG I like it! Love the way the golf cart and trailer all match the SLK! Good job!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Im thinking about pulling a small motorcycle, Im not very mechanically inclined to install a hitch by myself. But if someone can help me with a bit more detail on what to buy, I think I'll be able to install this with confidence.

From what I can see its about $400 for parts on a small hitch, if I pay U-Haul est. $800.

-Im trying to pull a trailer that comes at about 160lb. with a 500lb. bike -

·
Registered 2001 SLK230K
22 Posts
You said "the spare is a little difficult to get out because of the brace inside the spare well (see picture)".

Did you post this photo somewhere? Thanks

·
Registered
156 Posts
wow... now that thread/post caught my attention... I don't think ive ever seen a roadster/two door with a trailer hitch other than an awesome custom old Mercedes 190 model back in an old "Mercedes enthusiast" magazine... a black custom 190 with a custom matching one axle trailer which was beautiful.. there's a thought maybe.. an mini trailer for an SLK!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Im thinking about pulling a small motorcycle, Im not very mechanically inclined to install a hitch by myself. But if someone can help me with a bit more detail on what to buy, I think I'll be able to install this with confidence.

From what I can see its about $400 for parts on a small hitch, if I pay U-Haul est. $800.

-Im trying to pull a trailer that comes at about 160lb. with a 500lb. bike -
Here you go:

https://www.etrailer.com/hitch-2002_Mercedes-Benz_SLK-Class.htm

and the wiring kit:

https://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Fit-Vehicle-Wiring/Mercedes-Benz/SLK-Class/2002/56146KIT.html?vehicleid=20021174583

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
28,611 Posts
You said "the spare is a little difficult to get out because of the brace inside the spare well (see picture)".

Did you post this photo somewhere? Thanks
@Western Bill has not been on since July 2016.

This mention might make him aware if he is still around. (Since he spent money to do the trailer he probably is).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.