Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, have an '01 SLK320 with the stock head unit. The previous owner (actually my dad) had an external sirius radio unit installed in it, set at a particular FM station on the radio. I think it has been hard wired installed somehow, cause the signal is crystal clear with that, unlike the standard FM modulator I use to play my ipod.

Question is, what are the current recs for replacing the stock head unit with something that includes BT for phone, and USB/aux input/iphone integration, that would work with this setup? Don't need Navi. I'd like to keep the little sat radio addon if possible but again it's unclear how whatever audio shop he used has it installed. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Check out Crutchfield for car radios. They have a lot of single DIN units that have satellite radio built in, as well as bluetooth and the other new technology. I looked at a couple with navigation, but the screen pops up and covers the air controls. For now I'm leaving it stock.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I also have a 01 slk320. check out my posts to "installation of after market radio with photos" in the DIY section of the r170 forum. I am near the end of the post. I installed my radio a month ago.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I just put in(20 mins) a Kenwood Excelon KDC-X799. $178 ,free install kit,bought the $6 neat wire joiners.Free 3 day ship.

Bought the sirius (hide away ) SiriusXM SXV300v1 Connect Vehicle Tuner Kit for Satellite Radio for 1/2 list,$37 Amazon .If no previous subscription,its free + 3 months service .
The unit had a faulty removable face plate,they sent a complete unit out in 3 days!
Sirius,HD ,FM,AM ,blue tooth apple and android.Hands free phone (mic included) CR single player (incl MP3s!) USB port on front.and aux input too.Lots of colors in display,I went with RGB to get brightest display in sunny FL.R=9,G=9,B=9
Had pops when changing inputs, they sent FOC,2 ground loop adapters,plugged right into speaker line,NO pos now!.
Oh, and a nice tiny remote that I cant mount on console as its line of sight.
Its a single din,really great service from Crutchfield and BTW,do not reverse red and yellow power feeds! I did....lost settings every time I turned off.

·
Registered
194 Posts
eventually, just on dash,to left of top of glove box.
Hard to find a good spot
BTW,cant find a good place to mount remote as it needs to see the eye.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the reply, everyone! I've been looking at the Blaupunkt Toronto 420 BT, it looks like that just hooks right into whatever harness MB uses. It's been about 3 decades since I've swapped out car stereos so the easier the better. The issue is the existing satellite radio I have now that is hooked into the MB OEM radio, not sure how it is connected, nor how it will hook into the new head unit.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Microphone

Isn't there a microphone above the rear view mirror? Is this wired into the radio harness somewhere?

eventually, just on dash,to left of top of glove box.
Hard to find a good spot
BTW,cant find a good place to mount remote as it needs to see the eye.

·
Registered 2001 SLK320
20 Posts
I purchased a 2001 SLK 320 about 6 weeks ago. It had replacement Kenwood unit installed; but didn't have BT, and no Aux cord. Whoever did the installation had added a new amp behind the driver seat, I think they disabled the OEM amp in the passenger footwell.

I replaced the Kenwood with a Pioneer DEX-X8700BH for $150 on Amazon ($35 cheaper than Crutchfield). Installation was quite easy because the hard work of switching harnesses, adapters, etc was already done.

I'm really liking the Pioneer. I set the button illumination to yellow which matches the interior dash lights etc. The main display color I have set to White - it is VERY visible in the summer sun, with the top down. Much better than the Kenwood was. The one drawback to the stereo is that there aren't preset buttons to switch radio stations quickly; however there is one button (labeled "mix") which cycles through the presets - it works quite well for me.

The BT works very well. I ran the microphone up the passenger pillar, and over the top the windscreen (just pushed the cable under a rubber flap), and have it mounted on the visor, close to where the factory microphone is. It would be nice to try and utilize that microphone, but this was quick and easy. When I have the "wind blocker" mesh installed behind my seat; and the windows rolled up, I have been able to have phone calls while on the concrete interstate at 70mph, with the top down. A few weeks ago, I started having people complain that they couldn't hear me - then I realized I had removed the wind blocker :) Guess it really blocks the wind from the microphone :)

·
Registered
194 Posts
I had an ext xm Onyx unit,on a plate in the cup holder.Ugly but worked for 10 years.
The new radios take a matchbox size adapter,powered from radio,own input jack,uses existing xm antenna.
Much neater, fantastic sound,the included antenna is 25% larger than my old one,but old one works fine.
If you have wires in already, use antenna, feed mic up to dash.no need to use power wires,SO easy.tuck in behind new head unit.
Crutchfield supplied adapter for SLK free of charge!
Radio included 2 free removal tools too.For about $6 they have really neat wire connectors,much better than my old red and yellow cones.

I would like any advise to put new sirius antenna on trunk,in the existing antenna bump.I know old one is not compatible but want the neat install!

·
Registered
140 Posts
I installed a Pioneer DEH-X9600BHS and love it. I was able to exactly match my orange interior lights. It feels very sturdy and looks very nice with the silver trim in my slk. There is a promotion going right now for Sirius. If you buy the Sirius reciever, you get back $70 and they give you a 3 month free no activation fee.

Get into satellite radio plus get a $70 Visa® prepaid card to spend

Get a SiriusXM Rewards $70 Visa Prepaid Card when you purchase a select satellite radio and activate a Select or greater subscription package for that radio from SiriusXM.

Once you've received your satellite radio, all you need to do to get your $70 prepaid card is visit Sirius XM Rewards Center, select the promotion, and follow the instructions; or use the mail-in form below.

Get three free months of All Access service and free activation (a $70 value) when you commit to at least six months of SiriusXM All Access programming for your car, computer, and smartphone.

Note: You must maintain 60 days of continuous service before your rebate will be processed.

Offer ends 12/31/2015. Subscription sold separately. Some restrictions apply. For details, see this information page. Print this rebate form if you prefer to mail in the form instead. (You'll need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view this PDF file; if you don't already have Acrobat Reader on your computer, you can download it for free.)

·
Registered
287 Posts
Thanks for the reply, everyone! I've been looking at the Blaupunkt Toronto 420 BT, it looks like that just hooks right into whatever harness MB uses. It's been about 3 decades since I've swapped out car stereos so the easier the better. The issue is the existing satellite radio I have now that is hooked into the MB OEM radio, not sure how it is connected, nor how it will hook into the new head unit.
I also installed a Blaupunkt in my 320. It was truly plug and play. It has the same input connectors as the MB harness. You should be able to find where the output of the Sirius radio is tied in and install it the same way as with the MB radio.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I also installed a Blaupunkt in my 320. It was truly plug and play. It has the same input connectors as the MB harness. You should be able to find where the output of the Sirius radio is tied in and install it the same way as with the MB radio.

Thanks! Just ordered this from Crutchfield, will put it in this week. Appreciate all the replies.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow that Blaupunkt install took 10 minutes! Thanks for the advice - really was just plug and play with the orginial wiring harness, works great! There was a connector at the top of the orginial radio that doesn't seem to have a corresponding connection on the new radio, but even without it, everything works great. I appreciate it.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Wow that Blaupunkt install took 10 minutes! Thanks for the advice - really was just plug and play with the orginial wiring harness, works great! There was a connector at the top of the orginial radio that doesn't seem to have a corresponding connection on the new radio, but even without it, everything works great. I appreciate it.
I just love a success story:grin:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.