Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a thread about the spark plug service on the SLK320? I thought there was one, but I sure can't find it. I did the job once before with help from this forum and I feel comfortable doing it again, but I just wanted to review things before I went at it. I thought it was here that I found out about using the special tool to help with the removal of the plug wires.

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
28,798 Posts
I think there is one too.

Perhaps it is within another thread like cylinder head rebuilds?

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, thanks. That's a good review. Too bad the photos are gone.

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've got the tool - borrowed it from an old time Mercedes mechanic.

Reactions: Avel Du

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,513 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did half the plugs today, i.e. the right (passenger) side. Took maybe an hour and a half, but I work slowly. No surprises. No anti-seize used or recommended. Torque to 28 nm. Used a dab of dielectric grease in the wire connectors. Had the recommended tool and it was very, very helpful both to remove and to reinstall the connectors. I wouldn't recommend doing the job without it. Only plug that gave me any trouble was the one closest to the firewall. Had to get a little creative with my extensions to get it out. BTW, used a 3" extension on all of the plugs except that one at the firewall. All the plugs came out without any serious difficulty. Hope to get the next six in the next day or so.

Old plugs had less than 20K miles on them, but they had been in there for over seven years. Plugs are a 100K mile/five year service. Car will be going to my daughter this spring, so I figured if I changed them out now that she would never have to mess with them. If I was keeping the car, I might have let it go a little while longer.

Attachments

·
Premium Member 2002 SLK320
733 Posts
Why do they need replacing after five years, with low mileage? They don't seem the sort of product that degrades over time, only degrading with use.

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
28,798 Posts
Why do they need replacing after five years, with low mileage? They don't seem the sort of product that degrades over time, only degrading with use.
Worth looking at.

As the car is going to his daughter he is making sure it is the very best condition.

Avoiding the potential for a 4am call that starts 'Daaad!...':wink:

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm guessing that it may be a CYA thing with Mercedes so they don't get complaints from owners not being able to remove fifteen year old original spark plugs from the block without doing damage. Their response would like be, "Hey, not our fault. We said that those plugs need to come out every five years." :)

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Worth looking at.

As the car is going to his daughter he is making sure it is the very best condition.

Avoiding the potential for a 4am call that starts 'Daaad!...':wink:
And since my daughter will be driving the car 2500 miles to her home in AZ, I wanted everything to at least start out in good condition.

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Did the last six plugs today. Took about an hour. It went a little quicker because I knew what I doing and the plugs on the left (driver's side) were a little easier to get to. Took the car for a ride and all seems good. I'll still hook up a scanner to make sure there are no fault codes that I'm not aware of.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.