Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When my car is completely warmed up and I am sitting at idle, I hear a weird popping sound from the rear passenger side. I can actually also "feel" when it pops if my hand is on the handbrake or shifter. It could be described as a knocking, too. Almost like something is faintly knocking on the underside of the car. I looked under the car while it was running and there was no popping heard from the outside, but if I went inside the interior I could hear the popping. It is very strange. Has anyone had a similar issue? I thought it may have been the exhaust moving around but that doesn't seem like what it is. This only happens at idle. The car is completely smooth when driving with no popping sounds.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I also have 2001 320.

First off you may just be hearing the fuel pump. It's located on the passenger side just ahead of the fuel tank. Not a problem.

You can check several exhaust items. Check for loose heat shields that rattle on the bodywork. There is a large one in the center, and a less obvious one above the muffler. Cats on these cars fail. Kick the exhaust assembly and listen for a rattle. Check for broken exhaust hangers at the transmission, car center, and muffler.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,411 Posts
And if not the fuel pump, then it is the charcoal canister doing its thing :D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.