Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member 2001 SLK320
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am driving the SLK320 up to my weekend retreat recently and I pass a sign on the highway "Weighbridge Open" !
Well, I wonder,,,
So I pull in and look around,, no Road Authority staff, but the scales are live, great.

Drive onto the first scale, ,, 1510kg. Wow that's good.

The specs say it should be 1405kg,

and with myself and my luggage, and general stuff I carry, I think I've got a load of 120kg And a towbar of 12kg

so the car is only 1370kg ! and that's was with a full tank and spare wheel. I am pretty happy with that.

I drive forward to put my front wheels on the next scale and I get 755kg front , 755kg rear.

50:50

Wow, perfect weight distribution

But hey! I've got 35 kg of stuff missing, where did it go?

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
28,617 Posts
I am driving the SLK320 up to my weekend retreat recently and I pass a sign on the highway "Weighbridge Open" !
Well, I wonder,,,
So I pull in and look around,, no Road Authority staff, but the scales are live, great.

Drive onto the first scale, ,, 1510kg. Wow that's good.

The specs say it should be 1405kg,

and with myself and my luggage, and general stuff I carry, I think I've got a load of 120kg And a towbar of 12kg

so the car is only 1370kg ! and that's was with a full tank and spare wheel. I am pretty happy with that.

I drive forward to put my front wheels on the next scale and I get 755kg front , 755kg rear.

50:50

Wow, perfect weight distribution

But hey! I've got 35 kg of stuff missing, where did it go?

Ever wondered how the fines system works?

Now you know :D

·
Premium Member 2001 SLK320
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, let's try this again.

Owners manual says 1405kg soec weight for SLK320 is with 68kg driver, 7kg luggage, 90% fuel.

I'd mistakenly assumed it was without driver.

Tank was full. Add 4-5kg .
So boot full of luggage , tow bar, my additional weight above 68kg, sundry stuff in glovebox and console, carpet mats, tools and fire extinguisher are another 100kg that day to get to 1510.

I think the car is somewhere 15-25 kg more than the advertised 1405kg, but that does not surprise as there maybe some options that are standard in this market, not in the list weight. Like the spare,
Even air-con! As the owners manual shows there was a non-Air-Con heater only model offerred.

Buy hey, I've still got 50/50 weight distribution.

With half tank and no travelling luggage, it's still probably 52/48 Fr/Rr

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
Ok, let's try this again.

Owners manual says 1405kg soec weight for SLK320 is with 68kg driver, 7kg luggage, 90% fuel.

I'd mistakenly assumed it was without driver.

Tank was full. Add 4-5kg .
So boot full of luggage , tow bar, my additional weight above 68kg, sundry stuff in glovebox and console, carpet mats, tools and fire extinguisher are another 100kg that day to get to 1510.

I think the car is somewhere 15-25 kg more than the advertised 1405kg, but that does not surprise as there maybe some options that are standard in this market, not in the list weight. Like the spare,
Even air-con! As the owners manual shows there was a non-Air-Con heater only model offerred.

Buy hey, I've still got 50/50 weight distribution.

With half tank and no travelling luggage, it's still probably 52/48 Fr/Rr
15-25kg sounds like a lot, but if you spread it out across the whole of the vehicle, not too much. It'll probably be the dirt, dust, residue etc that has built up inside panels, in the engine bay etc all over it really. Plus your tyres may weigh differently to the standard equipment maybe?

Dez

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.