Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to trace an oil leak in my 2001 SLK320. The area where the upper oil pan and the transmission are joined is wet with a light amber colored fluid. The lower most section of the oil pan and transmission is where the leak is most noticeable. There is no oil stain on the garage floor; therefore, it seems like a small leak/seepage. I suspect it may be engine oil. I am trying to isolate and identify what is actually leaking before I visit my mechanic.

My question is related to a black plastic door/cover located on the rear of the upper oil pan. Specifically, what is the proper way to remove the cover to continue the inspection?

(Would try prying it off and risk breaking it, if I had a replacement. I have looked online for a replacement cover. Unfortunately, unable to find it. Will go to the dealer if necessary.)

·
Registered 2002 R170 SLK V8 5.0
2,593 Posts
Hi,

Most likely Rear Main Bearing Oil Seal.

M112 / M113 Engines seem to suffer with that when they get a bit leggy ;)

Transmission out to do it ;)

That cover is the Torque Converter Bolt access door, usually pops off with careful prying :)

HTH,

Cheers Dave

·
Premium Member 2002 SLK320
654 Posts
That sounds like the leak I had. When the transmission was dropped the source of the leak wasn't apparent. It didn't look like the rear main oil seal so the surrounding plate came out (see attached) and was re-sealed. Of course the oil seal was replaced while the transmission was out. No leak since.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the information.

I also suspect it is the rear main seal. Have cleaned off the engine and transmission housing. Will inspect periodically over the next few weeks to determine exact location of leak. Want to make sure it's not a failed top oil pan seal leaking into the transmission housing. Hoping to confirm this when I remove the plastic access door located on the top oil pan. The car has 80,000 miles on it. If the rear main seal is gone, will seriously consider replacing the clutch at time seal is replaced. Will be interesting to see what my mechanic has to say.

Kindest regards, Steve

1 - 4 of 4 Posts