Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys so I'm liking into either rebuilding or buying a new tranny for a slk. I was looking for prices for tranny or rebuild kit.

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
Tell us more please. Why do you need a new tranny? Have you looked at all of the tranny messages and issues with the 722.6 tranny that don't require a new tranny?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The reason I'm asking is because I'm looking into purchasing a slk and the owner says the transmission is shot, therefore I'm looking either into rebuilding, if possible, or buying a new transmission. I'm not set into buying it, unless I know for sure, the pricing for a tranny, or cost to rebuild. As stated I know nothing about these cars but I am mechanically inclined. I just haven't had much time to look into this, that's why I'm asking you guys. The car is a slk320 kompressor 140k miles

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,648 Posts
If you post the vin we can get you a datacard and then you would know for sure.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,648 Posts
I owe u a coke Chicky!

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
The reason I'm asking is because I'm looking into purchasing a slk and the owner says the transmission is shot, therefore I'm looking either into rebuilding, if possible, or buying a new transmission. I'm not set into buying it, unless I know for sure, the pricing for a tranny, or cost to rebuild. As stated I know nothing about these cars but I am mechanically inclined. I just haven't had much time to look into this, that's why I'm asking you guys. The car is a slk320 kompressor 140k miles
Okay, good info. Figure to get the price reduced by the cost of a new transmission (I'd guess $3K) and hope that your fix is the common ten dollar part and cleaning of oil in the harness.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay, good info. Figure to get the price reduced by the cost of a new transmission (I'd guess $3K) and hope that your fix is the common ten dollar part and cleaning of oil in the harness.
The price is set at$3,500 for the car.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The price is set at$3,500 for the car.
Do yourself a big favor and spend $150-200 on a pre-purchase inspection at a good benz shop that knows R170's before buying this car. The tranny could be fine but the transmission control unit shot because tranny fluid wicked up into it (because the $10 part alluded to earlier wasn't replaced when it should have). There are a whole host of problems that could make the car a money pit. You might end up with a list of repairs that cost two or three times the sale price. Then maybe the seller will just give you the car :)

140k miles is not really that much for a benz drive train if well maintained ... the clincher is 'well maintained'. On one hand a lot of benz owners are compulsive about every little thing (a '98 e430 I bought was brought to the dealer by the previous/original owner for the slightest squeak or blown bulb and I have a inch-thick set of records to prove it). On the other hand there are car owners, benz or otherwise, that wait until something catastrophic happens before even changing the oil. When the guy says the transmission is shot, is he saying that because a mechanic told him that, or because the tranny doesn't behave and he's too cheap to have it even looked at? If the latter, what does that mean about the maintenance history of the car?

$3500 is cheap for a 320 but there is much truth to the adage:

"There is nothing quite as expensive as a cheap Mercedes".

The reason why I have an '02 SLK32 instead of a '03 SL500 (that would have cost maybe $3000 more out the door than the '32) is because I took that saying to heart. My brother has spend more repairing his '03 SL than I spent TOTAL on my SLK.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Do yourself a big favor and spend $150-200 on a pre-purchase inspection at a good benz shop that knows R170's before buying this car. The tranny could be fine but the transmission control unit shot because tranny fluid wicked up into it (because the $10 part alluded to earlier wasn't replaced when it should have). There are a whole host of problems that could make the car a money pit. You might end up with a list of repairs that cost two or three times the sale price. Then maybe the seller will just give you the car :)

140k miles is not really that much for a benz drive train if well maintained ... the clincher is 'well maintained'. On one hand a lot of benz owners are compulsive about every little thing (a '98 e430 I bought was brought to the dealer by the previous/original owner for the slightest squeak or blown bulb and I have a inch-thick set of records to prove it). On the other hand there are car owners, benz or otherwise, that wait until something catastrophic happens before even changing the oil. When the guy says the transmission is shot, is he saying that because a mechanic told him that, or because the tranny doesn't behave and he's too cheap to have it even looked at? If the latter, what does that mean about the maintenance history of the car?

$3500 is cheap for a 320 but there is much truth to the adage:

"There is nothing quite as expensive as a cheap Mercedes".

The reason why I have an '02 SLK32 instead of a '03 SL500 (that would have cost maybe $3000 more out the door than the '32) is because I took that saying to heart. My brother has spend more repairing his '03 SL than I spent TOTAL on my SLK.
Alright so I'll set up a meeting with the guy then ill get the vin and I'll see what we find. Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
Ask to see service receipts too if he has any. The service stamps in the service book are not service records, but at least they will tell you something. If you've got a friend at a Mercedes dealer, ask him to run a VMI (vehicle master inquiry) for you.

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
Car had been sold to bad for me:(
Or maybe not. There will always be another one come along, probably better than the one you lost anyway.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.