Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm a bit worried about my car and hoping for a little advice before I take it to the garage

Last week my car developed a horrible rattle. It just so happened it was going to the garage for another problem with the boot and I asked the mechanic to check it out while I was there, he told me the catalytic converter had blown, but he said don't worry about it, just get it sorted before the next MOT which is 9 months away.

Today the CEL came on and the acceleration is a bit jumpy, like hesitant so suspect that the cat blowing was caused by something else? or would a blown cat cause this?

TO be honest I'm worried about taking it to a garage and they're going to rip me off. I'm thinking I should get the sparks and all the filters replaced too, and would like to buy the catalytic converter and paying for the labour to fit it, but there's more than one cat right? Or are they all the same?

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,217 Posts
Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from Valrico, Florida!

Please update your vehicle (model and year) in your profile as it helps the members answer your questions which usually are based on that information.
‘Usercp’ at the top left of page, then ‘edit your details’ on the left side, ‘additional information’ near the bottom, edit your ‘vehicle’. And it only takes about 30 seconds to do!

You might want to post an introduction in the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section, if you haven’t already.

Some tips to make your visit here more enjoyable:

If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
In addition, if you haven’t, please post your question in the appropriate discussion forum for a quicker response and only once. Be patient and a knowledgeable member will address your question.
If you wish to become PM (Private Message) - capable, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM.
New members should be aware that the 'New Posts' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under ‘quick links’ when you leave.
Also vote or enter our Ride of the Month competition: http://www.slkworld.com/rotm-submissions-voting/

Thank you
Jeff
Moderator/Founding Member

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I suspect the CEL light is the O2 sensor. The lag I experienced has stopped and the car seems to be running smoothly

I've ordered an OBDII scanner and my plan is to get a major service and get the cat part identified, order it and get it fitted. Seems like there's two parts, a nearside and offside - the latter being a lot cheaper. The noise does appear to be coming from offside so fingers crossed.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Yeah, get yourself an OBDII coder reader and start with that. The Cats are known to 'blow' and develop rattles in these cars, and it a Cat isn't functioning properly, it is likely to throw a "check engine light". So I'd suspect that you just need a new Cat.

The Cat on my truck developed a similar rattle, so to test I slid underneath with a rubber mallet and gave the Cat a few good whacks, listening for the rattle. Sure enough, when I hit the Cat I could hear the rattle inside. This truck only had one Cat, but that might be a good method for you to determine which one is rattling.

·
Registered 2003 SLK320
613 Posts
The Cat on my truck developed a similar rattle, so to test I slid underneath with a rubber mallet and gave the Cat a few good whacks, listening for the rattle. Sure enough, when I hit the Cat I could hear the rattle inside. This truck only had one Cat, but that might be a good method for you to determine which one is rattling.[/QUOTE]

Good idea but far easier to to slid underneath a truck than a SLK with a rubber mallet you need to be very small Ha Ha

·
Registered
320 Posts
lol, true. My truck is lowered, so it doesn't sit much higher than the SLK, but I usually just park them over the shallow ditch along the bottom of my driveway which gives me enough room to slide under without jacking them up.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
P0100 - Powertrain. Mass or volume air flow circuit
P0301 - Powertrain. Cylinder 1 Misfire Detected

So not the o2 sensor. I don't know if these are related to the cat blowing, the Cel came on about 500 miles after. It's gone out now.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
BTW I don't have enought posts to answer the PM's, just to say my plan is to get the garage to clean the MAF and then get some advice on the cat

The rattling is really annoying and causing the car to shake a bit too

·
Registered
320 Posts
Based on the codes I'd say cleaning and/or replacing the MAF should take care of the CELs.
I agree that I'd find the rattling cat very annoying too. Keep us posted with what you find.

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK350
6,796 Posts
Is that from an independent shop?? Perhaps some of our UK members know a good shop - but you need to update your profile with a more specific area...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes it's independant - All the fittings were corroded and both cats were rattling. That's for BM catalyst complete exhaust. offside and nearside, he said it was 3 hours work but quoted for 2.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just to say the job has been done - cost me all together £293 for the offside, nearside and gaskets which all came from BM catalysts

+ £180 for the work after the garage wangled some extra labour out of me for various problems like "seized bolts".

SO far no O2 failure :tu:

They said the p0100 and p0301 errors were cause by the cat so hopefully that's the end of it.

·
98,217 Posts
BTW I don't have enought posts to answer the PM's, just to say my plan is to get the garage to clean the MAF and then get some advice on the cat

The rattling is really annoying and causing the car to shake a bit too
I keep telling people how to get enuff posts! no one listens! This is like being married!

If you wish to become PM (Private Message) - capable, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK 280-sold
3,552 Posts
I keep telling people how to get enuff posts! no one listens! This is like being married!
Then again, they may be listening, but choose not to do it.

Once again, like being married. :biglaugh:

Reactions: ken320

·
98,217 Posts
married with children

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
P0100 - Powertrain. Mass or volume air flow circuit
P0301 - Powertrain. Cylinder 1 Misfire Detected

So not the o2 sensor. I don't know if these are related to the cat blowing, the Cel came on about 500 miles after. It's gone out now.

Just un update to say that that after replacing the exhaust, I continued to have problems, the car would stall at idle throwing P0100 and P0355. I cleaned the MAF and replaced the crank position sensor (found a really good DIY on the crossfire forum) which solved the stall.

The car still shakes a little at idle, which I'd guess would be the mounts...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.