Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello SLK experts. I am hoping to buy a good SLK and prefer the 320 engine. I have looked at 230 models 2000/2001 and a 320 aged 2002. Do most people agree the 320 is a better smoother engine? I was previously anti auto boxes but have been told the auto box is better than the manual on the SLK's - is that correct? What is a tiptronic box, is this different from a normal auto and should I try for a tiptronic if so? When was this model upgraded and how can I recognise one and is the upgraded model worth going for?
Sorry to ask so many questions but I would be grateful for any advice you may have. Thanks from Roy in Bristol

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,192 Posts
Welcome from Valrico, Florida!
And welcome to this great forum!

Please update your location/vehicle (model and yr) in your profile as it helps the members answer any questions you might have based on locale and model and year.
Usercp at the top of page, edit your details, location/vehicle.

If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before.
In addition, if you haven’t, please post your question in the appropriate discussion forum for a quicker response. Be patient and a knowledgeable member or guest will address your question.
If you wish to PM (Private Message) someone, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘new members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members listed to obtain your needed posts.
And finally, if you find something useful on your visit here today, perhaps something that saved you time or money, please consider becoming a donating member or make a one-time donation to offset development and operating costs. Even $5 is welcome! At the top of the page, click ‘Donate now’. Thanks!

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
Welcome from NE England (via Manchester). I am biased - I would not have an auto box at all. The manual box on the R170s is OK, on the R171 it is superb.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Nice SLK history here to help sort out the differences between the model years:

http://www.slkworld.com/general-discussion/4276-slk-history.html

I've had a 320 & 2 230s. On the 230 there is definetly a "kick" when the supercharger engages, which of course you dont get on the 320 if thats what you mean by "smoother" engine.

I was a little skeptical of the 230 engine at first, but it has a surprising amount of pep for a 4 cyl even before the supercharger kicks in (though I think my previous '01 was a little peppier than my current '03).

My '01 lacked some of the interior features I had in the 320, like electric seats & the adjustable steeringwheel. I had a hard time getting comfortable in the manual seat. Luckily my '03 has both of these features. The only other difference to me is the mirrorball interior trim on the 230 vs the "wood" on the 320.

Here's a checklist that you might want to use during your search, applies equally well to 230s & 320s:
http://www.slkworld.com/slk-r170-general-discussion/9608-slk-230-inspection-checklist.html

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Welcome from Michigan....

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
Welcome from Blighty.... :)

The 230 is a 4-cyl engine, whereas the 320 is a V-6 engine. The V-6 will sound nicer and I guess have more performance.

As for manual vs auto, I too am in the 6-spd manual camp. But I have an R171 and have no experience of the R170 (auto or manual)....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Welcome to the Mercedes Benz SLK World Forum, I recently purchased a 2001 SLK 320 Auto Trans with 24,100 miles. But am seeing several "gremlins" possibly from low usage.
* Fly by wire accelearator has dead spots in the pedal rheostat,
* Auto dimming mirror does not dim.
* Transmission will not come out of park when the brake pedal is depressed if the engine is not running
*Having frequent bouts of the dash not indicating the car is in Park so the key will not cause the starter sequence to be completed to crank the engine.
Other than that it is a fun car to drive!!!!!
Sub Driver

1 - 14 of 14 Posts