Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone experienced this?

My 2001 SLK320 (85,000m) suddenly started having trouble accelerating between shifting gears. When shifting from 1st to 2nd, or 2nd to 3rd, the car has a delay in acceleration of appx 5-10 secs.....first it won't accelerate at all, even with gas pedal depressed.....then after 5-10 seconds it starts to pick up speed and slowly reaches normal driving speed. At first I thought it was the extreme cold but today is a 'warm' 40 degrees. Almost feels like the combustion from the fuel injector is being 'blocked' ? or bad fuel-air ratio?

Has anyone experienced anything similar? Or have some clues what might be causing this?

It did not feel very safe this morning! Appreciate any advice!

Year: 2001
Model: SLK 320 Designo
Trans: 5-speed manual gear shift
Engine: v6
Mileage: 85k
Manufactured: Germany (not Alabama)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Same year and engine but an automatic and had a similar throttle delay.
Not being able to accelerate is no fun.
Do you have any CEL on?...do a scan if you haven't done so already.

On mine I suspected a bad gas pedal sensor, bad MAF or O2 sensors.
Scanned it and replaced the O2 sensors.

thats my guess. Hope you can find the fault.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thx for the suggetions - i will check the CEL , pedal, MAF and 02 sensors....was kinda hoping it was the octane in the gas or junk in the air filter.
As long as it's not the transmission!

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
I had a similar issue. I went through ALL the usual things you'd think of. My worst fear was tranny gone but it turned out to be a bad catalytic. The back pressure was screwing with the exhaust flow.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, it was worse today, nearly stalled 2 times at intersections waiting for accel to kick in (6 degree temps didn't help). Interesting about the catalytic and exhaust flow suspicion mentioned here, I will ask about that. Think its time for my mechanic to get involved.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,336 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just want to say THANKS to all for your helpful comments and advice! I added techron plus an STP All Season Water Remover in case there was condensation in the tank. Voila! I drove 20 min and the next morning the car drove like it was brand new! Thank YOu!

I will heed the wise advice on this post that it doesn't replace regular maintenance so we'll go for a full tune up in the spring. Thanks for buying me 4 more months :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.