Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2003 slk32 - read 1.5 zillion posts on multiple forums, so I've done the searches (and bought parts, and spent hours checking fuses, etc.)

Curious what you all would do, next, if you were in my position. I have a bad right turn signal in a 2003 SLK32. I have gone through the fuses 10 times under the hood (bonnet) and inside the driver's side door panel. I bought a used headlight/headlamp switch (unit with switch and fuses) and tore my dash panel up removing and installing it (as an aside, if you have tips on fixing the broken plastic parts that results from being pissed, frustrated, and it being about -2 degrees and parts breaking would love to hear).

My symptoms: I have working left turn signals (indicators) and I have working four ways/hazards. Pressing and holding the hazard/4 way/emergency switch does not help me. I have all other light functions (park, fog, high beam) and no dash lights or CEL. I have replaced bulbs, fuses, and sockets. I bought and installed a used headlamp switch. Nada--same problem being no RIGHT turn signal -- nothing on the dash/instrument lights up and nothing outside the car lights up. If I hit the lock on the fob/remote all four corners light up. So I know they all work.

I've messed around with many things, and twice in 2 years I've had slow and dim indicators show up on the dash briefly, only to disappear the next time the car started up. I replaced the battery. I tore apart and scuffed/sanded/etc the right front and right rear turn signal bulbs. I've replaced fuses. I replaced the headlight switch with a low miles used use. I'm so frustrated.

So, if you were in my position, would you: buy a combination switch in the steering column, OR, buy a NEW headlamp switch (new, new, not 50k miles used) and try to replace that? Or something else? I'm at wits' end. (which means: frustrated but not ready to have a dealership charge me $500 to fix my turn signals)

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hi squints

Could this be the signal arm is faulty ?? I am no expert but its worth checking. Sorry but I don't know how u would check if its working or not.
I also have a signal error but only on the alarm!! Right side flash only and its not the alarm battery as I have changed the whole alarm unit. was worth doing because I had no alarm siren. so at least I fixed a problem.
Right and left signal work fine and hazards work too.

Hope u find it
Keith

Sorry just re read your post and u have already checked my suggestion ( must be half asleep ) .!! Myself I would probably change the arm as they seem to work for everything else. But wait for the pros to confirm!!.

·
Super Moderator UK 2002 SLK320 Blue
2,846 Posts
I'm hardly a pro, @BlanPrivate, but a couple of questions for @squints

• Does the dashboard show a flashing right turn signal when you indicate right?
  • Have you measured voltages at the right turn lamp and do they seem to register +12V then 0V?
I have a diagram you can try (see attached) and I'll try and dig out some diagnostic tests too.

Attachments

·
Registered 2002 SLK320
2,011 Posts
Hi,

Having thoroughly read OP, my money is on Hazard Switch, or Indicator Stalk. Hazard is likely the cheapest / easiest to try first ;)

It will not be a Fuse, wiring or PSE issue as they are working upon Arm / Disarm, same for cluster, as the dash repeaters are working on Hazards.

HTH,

Cheers Dave

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG; 2005 SLK350
4,685 Posts
Almost certainly it's a faulty indicator stalk.

The alarm drives different bulbs and/or filaments from the turn signals/hazards; the lock confirmation relay (K54) drives the same bulbs as the turn signals/hazards. If you want to be extra sure you can disconnect the PSE and remove the K54 and re-test, but I can't find any other electrical cause for the hazards to work, the right turn signal to work, but the left turn signal to not work.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Almost certainly it's a faulty indicator stalk.

The alarm drives different bulbs and/or filaments from the turn signals/hazards; the lock confirmation relay (K54) drives the same bulbs as the turn signals/hazards. If you want to be extra sure you can disconnect the PSE and remove the K54 and re-test, but I can't find any other electrical cause for the hazards to work, the right turn signal to work, but the left turn signal to not work.
Thanks efair

Well its only on the arming and deactivation of the alarm that there is a problem so I have turned a blind eye to it. (and I might not have the car for long )

Cheers
Keith

·
4,685 Posts
Wait, what? Your turn signals are working as expected? And the only time the left don't illuminated as expected is when you arm/disarm the alarm?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Wait, what? Your turn signals are working as expected? And the only time the left don't illuminated as expected is when you arm/disarm the alarm?
lol yes that is what happens but I got them mixed up its the left side that works and the right side doesn't but only on the alarm . not sure about when the alarm is going off ( don't want to upset the neighbours lol)

Confused ?? I know I am. Imagine the Merc bill if I got them to fix it lol

Cheers

Keith

·
Registered 2002 SLK320
2,011 Posts
Hi,

WOAH !!

Now this is a totally different problem to OP by a different poster .......................

Look at the connectors on your PSE, the pins are noted to rot due to Trunk water ingress .................

Oh, and btw, Alarm does not use separate bulbs ;)

HTH,

Cheers Dave

·
4,685 Posts
Oh, and btw, Alarm does not use separate bulbs ;)

I'm looking at PE80.50-U-2000C, PE82-10-U-2000X, and PE82.10-U-2000D.

These show the Anti-theft function on:

E3e2, E4e2, E5/1, E5/2, E6/1e2, E6/2e2

and lock confirmation/turn/hazard on:

E3e1, E4e1, E6/1e1, E6/2e1

The diagnostics with these diagrams indicate that when the anti-theft alarm is tripped the rear parking lights, front side markers, aand front fogs illuminate.

I don't have an R170 in the driveway to test this theory on.

The difference between you and I may be the difference between "lock confirmation" and "alarm".

·
Registered 2002 SLK320
2,011 Posts
The difference between you and I may be the difference between "lock confirmation" and "alarm".
Hi @efair,

Thanks for pointing that out, although I do know the difference between the 2 ;)

Time for a bit of testing .................................... >:D

Nope, that racket would have just annoyed my neighbours, except I don't have any lol ......................

My Direction Indicators definitely flash upon "Alarm" as well as "Arm Disarm", no sign of any side lamps or anything else. They flash at about twice the speed the Indicators, (Blinkers) do when Alarm is sounding.

Also I have "Version Coded" mine to chirp upon arm (3) and disarm (1) :wink:

I think the difference will be in the Facelift / Pre Facelift or maybe territorial as I'm UK, mine is a Facelift V6 Car :wink:

IIRC OP did say his Indicators were working on Alarm although tbh I have slept since then and haven't bothered to re read ;)

HTH,

Cheers Dave

Edit:- Trouble with me is I'm more curious than the proverbial Cat ;)

Quote from OP Post #1 :- "If I hit the lock on the fob/remote all four corners light up"

·
Registered 2002 SLK320
2,011 Posts
Hi @efair ,

Yes I'd say it is Facelift / Prefacelift issue, the OP's Car is an SLK32 2003, therefore Post Facelift, so, at the end of the day OP's issue will very likely be Indicator Stalk, or less likely Hazard Switch Fault;)

Cheers Dave

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm hardly a pro, @BlanPrivate, but a couple of questions for @squints

• Does the dashboard show a flashing right turn signal when you indicate right?
  • Have you measured voltages at the right turn lamp and do they seem to register +12V then 0V?
I have a diagram you can try (see attached) and I'll try and dig out some diagnostic tests too.
Sorry all -- posted and then had to leave town for work. Haven't logged in since, my apologies on leaving you all hanging after offering your help so generously!

When I use the turn signal left (which works) the dash lights up the left arrow. When I turn on the right turn signal I get nothing on the dash and nothing outside the car. When I turn on the hazard/4-way lights I get all four corners outside and both left and right dash arrows lighting up.

In terms of checking the voltage at the lamp I have not. I will give that a try as I have nothing to lose but some time, and removing the front lamp isn't all that time consuming. Thanks for that suggestion!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts