Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered 2002 SLK32 AMG
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I seem to need help. I followed our esteemed JBANKS suggestion to do searches before posting a question. Well, I've read page after page both here and MBWorld but have not found correct information on the location of the drain/fill plug on the supercharger on a 2002 SLK32 AMG. One poster wrote that it was on the lower left corner of the front case but there is nothing on mine except one of the front case bolts. At 139K miles from a previous owner who did nothing in the form of regular maintenance, I am sure it is overdue to replace the SC oil.

I guess my question is do I have to remove the front pulley to even locate the plug? I can't even find anything on youtube!

Any information will be greatly appreciated and photos will qualify you to my first born!!!:smile::smile:

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,349 Posts

·
233 Posts
The drain/fill plug is just to the left of the supercharger pulley, it's a 5 or 6mm hex plug IIRC. You won't have to remove the supercharger pulley, however you might want to remove the belt and idler pulley next to it for easier access. It's small and easy to miss.

·
233 Posts
I tried to post a photo, but my hosting website of choice seems to be down. So, here's a quick tip- crouch down so that you're looking at the idler and supercharger pulley face-on at eye level, and look directly in between them- right by where the casting leading to the idler pulley is. Use a flashlight (probably clear some gunk away), and you'll see it!

Edit: Thanks to jbanks, here's a picture: follow the screwdriver. Forgive the quality, I was trying to hold a flashlight and dial in my DSLR (not easy).

Attachments

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,349 Posts
I tried to post a photo, but my hosting website of choice seems to be down. So, here's a quick tip- crouch down so that you're looking at the idler and supercharger pulley face-on at eye level, and look directly in between them- right by where the casting leading to the idler pulley is. Use a flashlight (probably clear some gunk away), and you'll see it!
Want to post a picture? Start a new thread or make a post, click ‘edit’, click on the ‘paper clip’ or ‘advanced’ and/or ‘manage attachments’ then ‘choose file’ then ‘upload’ and ‘submit’! If Iphone pics, you need to rename any additional pics as Iphone names its pics all the same, image.jpg.

·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You guys (and Gals) are aces. Especially S/RConcepts for the assistance. I looked at that thing for an hour and never spotted it. True to my word, you can have my first born. He's 48 already but he may be of some use.:laugh:

Oil change coming up as soon as the oil arrives. I'll let you know how I make out.

Ken

·
Registered SLK32 AMG 2002
36 Posts
How necessary is this?

Are there any signs to look out for that would indicate this needs to be done (noise or anything?)

To my knowledge, the SC oil has never been changed on my 2002 SLK32 AMG, certainly not since 2012 when I bought it.

·
Premium Member 2004 SLK32 AMG
5,341 Posts
MB doesn't address changing the S/C oil. But I changed mine simply because the car is 15 years old. Can't hurt!

·
233 Posts
How necessary is this?

Are there any signs to look out for that would indicate this needs to be done (noise or anything?)

To my knowledge, the SC oil has never been changed on my 2002 SLK32 AMG, certainly not since 2012 when I bought it.

IMHO, with how much strain the S/C is under on these cars (especially with higher mileage), I would file it under very necessary. Unfortunately, this is one of the most neglected maintenance items on these cars. Most M112K/M113K AMG enthusiasts recommend changing the S/C oil at 30k intervals, even though MB files this under 'lifetime' lubricant. Judging by the smell and state of the oil that came out of mine, a 'lifetime' was about 4 lifetimes ago! :grin:

This said, if you're hearing any type of internal noises coming from your S/C, it's much too late for a simple fix... hence, this small bit of preventative maintenance can save you potentially thousands in repairs. A can of Mobil Jet Oil (either II or 254) can be had for less than $30, and that can will give you enough for a true lifetime of oil changes!

·
Registered
559 Posts
Getting the bolt out is the hardest part. After that, it's dead simple. As others have stated "why not"? Just dont get any on you if you're planning to 'get lucky' as it smells terrible.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.