Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 181 pulley and tune on order from Eurocharged. I am also ordering a DCAI and would like some input on supporting mods before I place my order. This is my daily driver, reliability is important!

1. Cooling. I have noticed percieved heatsoak with any aggressive driving. I know the new pulley will not help, and want to battle this issue. What do you recommend keeping in mind cost is a factor here...
-Supercooler/Eurocharged HE, at $450, the most expensive but is this the most effective?
-Johnson CM30 IC pump, at $200, I am skeptical of just circulating more hot water through the system... faster(unless adding cooler, which I cant afford both right now, but will later)
-Radiator/HE isolation/separator kit, at $70 this seems to be a bargain, and even something I can easily fab myself. How much benefit might you see from separating the two?
-Radiator fan on 10 degrees sooner... Free with tune.
2. Fuel - What is the threshold for mods before these cars run out of Fuel? Is/are the weak link/links in the Fuel Pump, Injectors, Rail, Pump Wiring, Fuel Pressure Regulator? I hear the pulleys dont require a tune from Rob at Needswings, however other SC cars I have modded always ran lean after a pulley.
3. Pulley Saver Kits - Needswings/etc... $200. Is there really that big of problem with the pulleys? I'm trying to justify the expense and have heard mixed reviews.

Any suggestions welcome!

T

·
Registered
27 Posts
have you now or plan to heat wrap your headers / exh ? their are also other insolaters to help keep the heat where it belongs. and oil cooler can be added for the 700$ range that is temp controled and easy to do / use.

I am not 100% fimilar with tuning MB but I have worked on a lot of cars in my life (raced mostly subaru) and I believe tuning would help you most of all.

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK 280-sold
3,552 Posts
You could also go welcome two more people to get to 15 posts and then PM 320 Dreamer - IIRC he has a lot of experience with modding the 32.

·
Premium Member
945 Posts
I have a 181 pulley and tune on order from Eurocharged. I am also ordering a DCAI and would like some input on supporting mods before I place my order. This is my daily driver, reliability is important!

1. Cooling. I have noticed percieved heatsoak with any aggressive driving. I know the new pulley will not help, and want to battle this issue. What do you recommend keeping in mind cost is a factor here...
-Supercooler/Eurocharged HE, at $450, the most expensive but is this the most effective?
-Johnson CM30 IC pump, at $200, I am skeptical of just circulating more hot water through the system... faster(unless adding cooler, which I cant afford both right now, but will later)
-Radiator/HE isolation/separator kit, at $70 this seems to be a bargain, and even something I can easily fab myself. How much benefit might you see from separating the two?
-Radiator fan on 10 degrees sooner... Free with tune.
2. Fuel - What is the threshold for mods before these cars run out of Fuel? Is/are the weak link/links in the Fuel Pump, Injectors, Rail, Pump Wiring, Fuel Pressure Regulator? I hear the pulleys dont require a tune from Rob at Needswings, however other SC cars I have modded always ran lean after a pulley.
3. Pulley Saver Kits - Needswings/etc... $200. Is there really that big of problem with the pulleys? I'm trying to justify the expense and have heard mixed reviews.

Any suggestions welcome!

T
1. I have the 178 pulley from Needswings on mine. It's surprising what a difference such a small part makes. I considered the 185 pulley at first, but decided on the 178 for reliability reasons. I do have the upgraded Johnson CM30 pump and the coolant isolation kit but I don't have the super cooler yet. My 32 is not my daily driver, so I can't really comment on heat soak, but I can tell you that I haven't had the problem occur since I upgraded the pump, even on summer days here in Florida. Of course the best would be to get all 3 items - CM30, Iso kit, and Super Cooler. I would say out of the three, the CM30 is a must, then the other two as you get a chance, since your Bosch will fail, if it hasn't already.

2. I asked Rob @ Needswings this question during my last remote tune and he said with my mods (dual intake, 178 pulley and ecu tune), you don't need to mess with the fuel pump until you start messing with the intake mani's.

3. I have the pulley saver kit and don't really know if it is necessary, but it is peace of mind for me. I got them all installed at the same time. It's supposed to prolong the life of the accessories that spin on the serpentine by bringing down their rpm's back closer to normal when you upgrade your main crank pulley.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I installed a y pipe, Eurocharged SC pulley, dashsdaq zt2. Im only getting 13 lbs of boost at 7000 feet.

I ordered the dcai,, psk,, catch can from needswings, still have not recd.

I also ordered a cheap heat exchanger similiar to the supercooler, and a cm30.

Next will be the 181 and tune.

Thanks for the advice!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.