Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered 2003 SLK230
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Are there any special items I need to pay attention to when purchasing a SLK32 besides year and mileage? Thanks.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,379 Posts

·
Premium Member 2001 SLK320
1,032 Posts
I would have said look for a straight showroom stock one , as these are the ones in demand.
There is one here that is quite modified,high power engine, suspension, lights, and it won’t sell,
but then I saw your description of your ‘230 and maybe that would not worry you, but it’s probably
a good negotiating point if everyone else wants no mods.

A noticeable thing about the SLK32 is that there seems to be very little mention of issues on this forum, just the usual R170 stuff.
On the down side it has a lot of unique parts on it, and only a bit over 4300 were made, compared to 80 times that many for the 4-cylinder ones.
And adding up all the cars I could find built with that engine including C32 & Crossfire SRT-6, only comes to about 12,000 by my rough estimate.

Oh and this quote from wikipedia referencing Chriss Bass’s book on R170,
“A total of 4,333 were produced; 979 were sent to Germany, 2,056 were imported to the US, and 263 to the UK”,
answers the question asked recently about numbers that went to USA. As we know very few were built in 2001 & 2004, a fair guess is a bit more than 1000 in 2002 and a bit less than 1000 in 2003.

·
Premium Member 2004 SLK32 AMG
5,260 Posts
In the year 2004 there were 56 manufactured worldwide , but 312 were titled and sold as 2004's which includes those built in 2003. Mine was manufactured in Oct. 2003 as an example. The only thing I have replaced is the dampener (harmonic balancer). Not an unknown problem in an Slk32 or an slk320 which uses the same block. I looked at the modified one. The question that comes to my mind is "did he track" the car or use it as a "sleeper" like some do?

·
Premium Member 2009 SLK55 AMG
11,788 Posts
Good luck Wayne, can’t wait to see your newer SLK. One of our members used to own one in Jackson. She sold it several years ago though! :crying:

Another SLK 32 member moved to Union City several years ago, from Cameron Park.

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
So the stock ones are the ones in demand? I guess i should have figured so much. I just had a SLK32 passed down to me. It was my fathers until he grabbed a LC500 (Which by the way is a pretty impressive machine). I recently put on a full SL55 intake setup, and was thinking about having the resonator and rear cats removed. But, I also would like to maintain the value and beauty, that is the SLK32. Mine is a 2002 with a US delivery date of 02/08/2001. I am thinking with a date that early, it must be one of the first 5 to come to america. It very well could be the first for all i know. So based on that potential, it would it be best to maintain OEM on the rest of the car?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts