Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my first major issue left me running my car in first gear trying to get to a location that I could call a tow truck who got me over to a Benz dealer. Waiting to hear the damages on this one.

Anybody else had this problem? Some researching throughout the web didn't really appease me.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Well, my first major issue left me running my car in first gear trying to get to a location that I could call a tow truck who got me over to a Benz dealer. Waiting to hear the damages on this one.

Anybody else had this problem? Some researching throughout the web didn't really appease me.
TCM? Ten Characters!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK250
2,424 Posts
You are most likely in LIMP HOME MODE which due to an emissions related problem. Did you get a Check Engine Light?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You are most likely in LIMP HOME MODE which due to an emissions related problem. Did you get a Check Engine Light?
Yes, I got a check engine light. I hope it's emissions, however, the transmission was shifting into gear rather hard : / We shall see!

·
Registered
9 Posts
May be the selector

I just got my transmission fixed on a 06' 350, and about a week ago, the gear was stuck in neutral, you could actually move the shift knob by disengaging the lock, but still in neutral.

According to the mechanic, It turn out to be a small piece of rubber in the "selector" that was worn-down. Minor reparation (within transmission repair warranty).

Good luck

Pepe

·
Registered
604 Posts
theres a connector on the side of the trans that has a bad oring. it allows trans fluid to wick up the harness and soak the tcu located in the pass footwell. its a 12$ part and about 1 hr labor. if it is, this theres a good chance you fried the tcu and thats 800$ to replace new

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Krazy! your on the money. It's the O-Ring and the fluid is also low. It was time to visit the dealer to get several things done I was putting off though.. I'll let you folks know an overall verdict tonight or tomorrow.

Please keep in mind, I am not an individual that takes his car to the dealer religiously, so if you are looking to buy an SLK and you get your car serviced at a Benz dealer, they more than likely would have checked / fixed this long before hand.

aka = customer neglect :) Just speaking the truth.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Well, this is not my experience. if don't know MB yet. But have owned a number of Porsches since the 80's and a few Loti, and a bevy of euro cars since the 70's. The best mechanics are private. Easily.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
In a nutshell, they went through it with a fine tooth comb and here is what is needed:

- Transmission Service (Routine)
- Fix transmission leak (conductor plate plug)
- Battery install with negative cable replacement
- Brakes / Rotors / Sensors on Front and Rear
- 60,000 mile service
- Fuel filter

TCU was fine. :)

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I good independent dealer works as well. In my case here, I honestly didn't have much choice. USAA towed me to the nearest dealer, plus I do not trust any of the independent dealers in the area simply because I don't know any.

Well, this is not my experience. if don't know MB yet. But have owned a number of Porsches since the 80's and a few Loti, and a bevy of euro cars since the 70's. The best mechanics are private. Easily.

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
In a nutshell, they went through it with a fine tooth comb and here is what is needed:

- Transmission Service (Routine)
- Fix transmission leak (conductor plate plug)
- Battery install with negative cable replacement
- Brakes / Rotors / Sensors on Front and Rear
- 60,000 mile service
- Fuel filter

TCU was fine. :)
Glad TCU is fine.

Prolly may come out more cost effective and avoid the hassles and inconveniences of vehicle not being operable by doing regular maintenance as scheduled.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Heh. Thanks for the obvious advice :tu: I completely understand this problem is my own stupidity. My Father has been pointing it out repeatedly!

I will be looking for a good independent here in the area. Will probably hit up Coffee and Rides locally.

Glad TCU is fine.

Prolly may come out more cost effective and avoid the hassles and inconveniences of vehicle not being operable by doing regular maintenance as scheduled.

·
Premium Member
621 Posts
theres a connector on the side of the trans that has a bad oring. it allows trans fluid to wick up the harness and soak the tcu located in the pass footwell. its a 12$ part and about 1 hr labor. if it is, this theres a good chance you fried the tcu and thats 800$ to replace new
is this obvious? I'm having an indy do my fluids tomorrow, and would appear to be a good thing to have him double check :confused:

·
Registered
604 Posts
is this obvious? I'm having an indy do my fluids tomorrow, and would appear to be a good thing to have him double check :confused:
its a known failure on the 32 cars and only about 12$ to fix. if your dumping the fluids its the perfect time to swap it out for the new connector and oring and you wont have to worry about it down the road

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, my baby blue is back in the garage this evening. I must say, the Mbenz dealer of San Antonio took care of me quite well.

I was having issues getting my way down to the dealer while my wife is working so they came and got me. Got down to the shop and they had also detailed the car for me.

Over all, the entire issue was very friendly, courteous, and I was well informed of what transpired. :)

Happy ending.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.