Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My SLK32 HID lights have an unused bulb socket available above the main lamp. Is this a city light? Installing a bulb didn't light up, is the wiring deleted for US spec cars? Is there a way to power up these sockets?

·
Founding Member 2006
108,943 Posts
You check the manual? It should have picture of the layout probably parking/city lights
You check the fuses?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There's no mention of a City Light in the Manual for the US spec. I suppose that would require an additional position on the light switch that would turn off the low beam and run just the city lights. I did see where the Canadian set up uses the low beam as a DRL when the engine is running, but again no mention of a city light for Canada either. I'll search behind the lights to see if these sockets have any wiring that could be powered, if not I'm over it.
Thanks!

·
Founding Member 2006
108,943 Posts
Yes city lights are called parking lights in us lingo
Check those fuses if you haven't
Fuse locations in our diy section

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The parking light position on the dash switch lights up the yellow side markers and turn indicators as expected. The light sockets I'm looking at are inside the headlight just above the main hi/lo lamp. They are wedge type sockets and I believe these are the "city lights" used in the EU cars to allow the low beams to be turned off while driving in town. I assume the US specs delete these, as there are no bulbs installed. I put a bulb in but it doesn't light and there's no position on the dash switch for it anyway. Just wondering if these can be used as DRL's...

·
Registered
105 Posts
The parking light position on the dash switch lights up the yellow side markers and turn indicators as expected. The light sockets I'm looking at are inside the headlight just above the main hi/lo lamp. They are wedge type sockets and I believe these are the "city lights" used in the EU cars to allow the low beams to be turned off while driving in town. I assume the US specs delete these, as there are no bulbs installed. I put a bulb in but it doesn't light and there's no position on the dash switch for it anyway. Just wondering if these can be used as DRL's...
City lights are not for driving, they are marker lights designed to be left on when the car is parked on narrow, dark European roads. Either right or left side only. My SLK has that setting on the dial.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.