Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Premium Member 2004 SLK32 AMG
Discussion Starter #1
I finally found an indie with a reasonable charge to put the Toy on a dyno. Not a good choice of days. The temperature was in the mid 90's and high humidity......not horsepower friendly. Not surprisingly, he had never had his hands on a 32 before.
The dyno runs were made using 3rd gear. The chart is interesting. When it changes to 3rd and the supercharger pops....it makes over 350 whp. Steady whp was 311, and the torque at 330. Bear in mind the Toy has a small S/C pulley.

Ian knew a lot about the engine combination even though he had never personally seen one. He said to bring it back when it was cold and it would probably make 10-20 more whp. It was really fun to see the squat when the horsepower tuned on!馃榿馃榿馃榿. 馃榿馃榿

Attachments

Registered 2002 SLK320
Hi,

Certainly good figures for a 3.2l V6 :grin:
Kudos for posting them up, a lot of owners don't like to ;)

Very interesting tho, what is the mileage on the Car / Engine plz ?

It seems to be making a little under standard AMG figures despite the smaller pulley :confused:

Taking into account the ambient temp as your guy says, it may make a little more, but I'm wondering if she is limiting the boost electronically and would take better advantage of the pulley with a decent remap ......................

Might be worth speaking to Kleeman etc for some advice ???

HTH, Cheers Dave

Registered 2005 SLK55 AMG & 2006 Kleemann 55K S8
Very nice! You are a bit above a stock 55 at that point. Nice smooth torque curve too, enjoy!

It seems to be making a little under standard AMG figures despite the smaller pulley :confused:
Here in the US we do whp, not bhp. So for a dynojet you need to add about 15% drivetrain loss back in to get to bhp like the manufacturer rates it at, so ~358hp. MB isn't known to understate the hp either. The 55 is a bit overrated.

Discussion Starter #4
Hi,

Taking into account the ambient temp as your guy says, it may make a little more, but I'm wondering if she is limiting the boost electronically and would take better advantage of the pulley with a decent remap ......................

HTH, Cheers Dave
32's are the 320 block. It had a new ECU tune by Eurocharge when I bought the pulley from them. Car has 60k., had the indie go through the whole car. Drop leak at the oil pan plug and needs brake fluid flush; otherwise excellent condition with nothing to fix.

Ian, dyno guy, said in his experience, vehicles lose about 17% of the stated hp. The factory rating is 349 hp which would figure out to around 290ish. Most folks that sell the smaller S/C will tell you it makes 40-45 hp. The whp would indicate about 20 plus for the S/C. That would compute to around 375 hp. Wish I had dyno'ed the Toy without the pulley. Seems like a member had his dyno'ed at stock.....now if I can just remember who?

Discussion Starter #5
Hi,

HTH, Cheers Dave
Missed one item in your post. It doesn't have boost, it isn't turbo charged, it has a supercharger instead 馃槇馃槇馃槇. 馃槇馃槇

Registered 2002 SLK320
Hi,

Yes of course a 32 is Supercharged, no R170 had Turbo(s) ;)

A supercharger still provides boost, it is just driven differently and therefore provides said boost lower down the rev range :wink:

Cheers Dave

Registered 2005 SLK55 AMG & 2006 Kleemann 55K S8
Yep, boost is the amount of extra pressure so any forced induction engine has it. My car runs 4.5psi right now with the Kleemann S/C, but I have a pulley to bump that up. One interesting thing about a S/C is that as you make the engine more efficient (cams, headers, etc) your boost actually goes down. A turbo will stay at the same boost level unless it is at it's limit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts