Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

So I'm looking at a 2002 SLK32 AMG tomorrow and was wondering if there's anything particular I should look out for?

I've been reading this forum a lot today and am aware of the IC pump issue and also have the checklist.

I've done a Carfax report and everything looks OK. My concern is that it has about 125k miles on it. Is this something to be concerned about? Should I be taking this for a pre-purchase inspection? I've bought many second-hand cars before and generally know what to look for..... but am no mechanic and have never owned a Mercedes before.

Thoughts?

Many thanks.

·
Premium Member
621 Posts
Depends on the price, but might be worth having MB take a look. I paid $125 for an inspection. MB will have a history of maintenance done at MB.

You can check the pump by getting it hot and go full throttle multiple times. Without the pump there is no power.

other -
Heated seats
Top operation

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
Welcome and good luck on the test drive tomorrow.

·
Registered
843 Posts
My comments:

My SLK32 has 73K miles now and runs great! Very fast, Very fun. I am thinking/hoping it will be running fine when it hits 125K miles too, so I wouldn't be afraid of an SLK32 with that many miles...as long as it was priced properly for the miles.

I would get a pre-purchase inspection from a MB dealer/service center, or from a good independent MB repair shop. I would want to make sure the suspension pieces like tie rod ends, ball joints, steering dampers and shocks were in good shape (or the purchase price gets adjusted if any maintenance has been deferred). Service history would be good to know too.

Check seat heater function and interior plastics for scratches. Not fatal problems of course, but good negotiating points if any repairs are required.

I watch the used car market for SLK32's on and off and their are plenty for sale with 50K to 70K miles on the in the USA. Make sure you are getting a big discount in price if you buy the one with 125K miles. Autotrader.com is a good place to see what is for sale in the USA. (not sure of your location though).

Good luck with the decision and any purchase. SLK32's are really a lot of performance and fun for the money the cost these days!

·
Registered
604 Posts
i went with a member and looked at a 32 for sale. it had a laundry list of issues none of which were fatal with the exception of the fluids. car serviced reg. with dino oil and green coolant. could be an issue.
no way to know but on the xfire forums there are 6 documented cases of rear diff failure. becoming way to common and expensive to fix

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,061 Posts
J-Ho,

Welcome from Valrico, Florida!
And welcome to this great forum!

Please update your location/vehicle (model and yr)(when u get one) in your profile as it helps the members answer any questions you might have based on locale and model and year.
Usercp at the top of page, edit your details, location/vehicle.

You might want to post an introduction in the ‘new members introduce yourself here’ section, if you haven’t already.

If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before.
In addition, if you haven’t, please post your questions in the appropriate discussion forum for a quicker response.
And finally, if you find something useful on your visit here today, please consider becoming a donating member or make a one-time donation to offset development and operating costs. Even $5 is welcome! Thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the replies, guys.

It was priced at $10k, had a scratch or minor dent in almost every panel, front grill was broken/bent in, fog lamp smashed and seat heaters didn't seem to work. I was prepared to overlook most of the cosmetic issues for the price, so took it to MBZ Valencia to get it looked at and I'm glad I did.

It needed new pads and rotors, both valve covers were leaking and all the fluids looked like they hadn't been tended to in a while (brake & trans especially). Generally looked like the owner hadn't cared for it that much and the Carfax showed it had done 80k miles in the last 4 years.

It was the first SLK I've ever driven, so it was tough to walk away when the seller wouldn't move on the price. Oh well, I'm sure there'll be something else out there for me!

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,061 Posts
You'll find the right one for you!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's not a horrible price..
Yeah, I know. But it looked pretty rough. I can understand that a car like this is "well-driven" by it's previous owners, but I'd also expect them to take a certain amount of care with the bodywork and up-keep.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Personally 10 grand seemed high to me for a car with 125k on it, unless it was in mint condition.

For being a limited production car it seems that there are a lot of them for sale either on Auto Trader or Craigslist.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just bought an 02 SLK32 Desingo with 68xxx. Just wondering does anyone know how many SLK32 Designo's were made?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm pretty sure that I'm looking at the same car you were. Anecdotally, it sure seems like the same car, got traded in after it was checked out at MBZ Valencia last May. For sale now at a used car lot.

I plan on getting it checked out also, but it would give me a big head start if you had your inspection report still and would not mind sharing it.

Silver, with 2 tone interior, correct?

·
Registered
3 Posts
WDBKK66F52F247398

I live in Santa Barbara, and won't have a chance to get down there until next weekend. I'm pretty buried, but it's been on that lot for a while.

I'm 99% sure it's the same car. Should run about $2500-3000 to repair all the things you mentioned. I'm not ruling it out, although there are some lower mileage examples.

What did you wind up getting?

·
Premium Member 1999 SLK230-sold
15,438 Posts
J ho i know it is not a Slk32 but found this like new low mileage car on Ebay 8500 miles on the clock like new might be a better buy than a high mileage Slk 32 Take a look

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2004-Mercedes-Benz-Special-Edition-SLK230-/300516976843?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item45f83528cb
I wish i would have found it before i bought my Slk i spent weeks on researching the best car for me i knew i wanted an R170 Kompressor in Silver found the car for the right price signed on the dotted line drove her home and look what is out there now. Dawn it the story of my life

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.