Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered '02 SLK32 & '06 SLK55 AMGs
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sad to say my SLK32 AMG, 37K engine melted the #2 piston and has severely scored the cylinder wall. I have completely stripped the engine to a bare block and was planning on getting it repaired. I heard one opinion that these blocks are not repairable, would like hear from others that may have experience on this subject?
Look forward to your replies, thanks.

·
Premium Member 2001 SLK32 AMG
622 Posts
Sorry to hear that dude. How does that even happen on a 37k engine!?

There are some r170 guys around who know hella loads about these cars, I imagine one of the mods will tag them sooner or later.

Again, sorry to hear about it.

Best of luck,

RLander.

·
Premium Member 1999 SLK 5.4 M113
1,440 Posts
not an M112 guy, but I am an M113 guy. the cylinder walls have a special lining from the factory that I do not believe can be replicated. I know some blocks can be sleeved if there is enough material left.

do you have any pictures of the cylinder wall?

·
Registered 2002 SLK32 AMG
233 Posts
Ouch!

As Turdo2 stated above, all my previous research indicates that boring the block is out of the question- IIRC, the tolerance is only .010. You may be able to find someone to sleeve it, however it may be less stressful and more cost-effective to source a long block out of a salvage SLK32/SRT-6. I would also very much look into how/why it lunched said piston, lest it happens again to the new engine... there may be an external cause at play here- engine electronics, faulty injector, boost issues, etc.

·
1,440 Posts
I would be tempted to advise that a non-AMG M112 short block would be the same. you would then need to swap your AMG rotating assembly into it.. plus a new piston of course.

·
233 Posts
I would be tempted to advise that a non-AMG M112 short block would be the same. you would then need to swap your AMG rotating assembly into it.. plus a new piston of course.
Sadly, no dice there! :frown: There's extra webbing/reinforcements on the 32 block to accommodate the extra boost, not to mention tighter tolerances and some other differences.

Stock M112 engine block- 112-010-06-06, $3,544
SLK32 M112K engine block- 112-010-92-05, $16,398 :surprise:

Edit: Yes, these are indeed bare-block only prices.

·
514 Posts
Sad to say my SLK32 AMG, 37K engine melted the #2 piston and has severely scored the cylinder wall. I have completely stripped the engine to a bare block and was planning on getting it repaired. I heard one opinion that these blocks are not repairable, would like hear from others that may have experience on this subject?
Look forward to your replies, thanks.
I don't know if it's repairable, but these people will

MBS-Deutschland Ltd. - Ersatzteile in Top Qualität

They repair and exchange MB engines in Germany, including our 32 lumps, and ship them around the world.
Why not drop them an email and pick their brains ......:wink:

·
Premium Member 2004 SLK32 AMG
5,333 Posts
Searched on the net..found an '02 SLK32 used engine with 66k for $1,700 US. Site is Quality Used Engines.....don't know anything about them, but a place to start if you have to. They actually sent me a quote for it. Phone:866-319-1643.

·
1,440 Posts
Still would like to see a picture of the bad cylinder. I've seen some pretty gouged cylinder walls and the engine still ran very well.

·
Registered '02 SLK32 & '06 SLK55 AMGs
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry for the late replies as am a night shift worker and get my priorities all screwed up at times.

I added mods this last spring and she ran for 300 miles prior to the melt down. Obviously not the sharpest knife in the drawer to have allowed this to happen:-(

Not sure how to add pictures - will have to do some homework as photo bucket requires $$ now to use.

I have been looking for a donor engine for the last month but have yet to firm up a purchase. Being from Canada does not make it easy as mot all salvage yards will not ship to Canada and if they do they want as much as the engine :-( That was why I had a shift in possibly getting my block repaired but looks like that was a pipe dream.

I had started a thread a couple months ago on what I did for mods - that was before I found out I had a melted piston - I thought it was just a head gasket issue at the time.

Cheers,
chevvy

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,080 Posts
You only have 8 posts so you do not have an edit button yet
You need 15 posts
Make another post in this thread but
Then. Go to paper clip or manage attachments

·
Premium Member 2001 SLK320/2000 SLK230
2,719 Posts
"I added mods this last spring and she ran for 300 miles prior to the melt down" - what mods ? Have to be very carful with a boosted engine that you don't exceed limits. In general a melted piston is the result of too much advance and too little fuel (lean out) and if so it is unlikely that it is just one cyl.

One of the issues with boost (particularly with diesels) is that they make more and more power until meltdown, why an EGT gauge is essential.

·
Premium Member 2001 SLK32 AMG
622 Posts
Sorry for the late replies as am a night shift worker and get my priorities all screwed up at times.

I added mods this last spring and she ran for 300 miles prior to the melt down. Obviously not the sharpest knife in the drawer to have allowed this to happen:-(

Not sure how to add pictures - will have to do some homework as photo bucket requires $$ now to use.

I have been looking for a donor engine for the last month but have yet to firm up a purchase. Being from Canada does not make it easy as mot all salvage yards will not ship to Canada and if they do they want as much as the engine :-( That was why I had a shift in possibly getting my block repaired but looks like that was a pipe dream.

I had started a thread a couple months ago on what I did for mods - that was before I found out I had a melted piston - I thought it was just a head gasket issue at the time.

Cheers,
chevvy
Hey man I wasn't dissing you, just saying a 3.2 AMG engine. With less than 50 on the clock, seems strange to burn a piston, from what I have read.
A lot more guys on here know a lot more than me.

Obviously you feel and potentially are responsible for it, but still...Everyone here is open to helping everyone else man, forget the blame, guilt all that bs. We love the cars! 'sutff' happens.

R170's BABY! R170's for the win!

(I have a 230)

·
Registered
22 Posts
An Air/Fuel Ratio meter (blinking leds) would have likely inicated a leaning out issue under boost, but in a general way only, as it wont tell you (for example) that the injector on cyl#2 has gunked up, or is not spraying properly.

Consequences of lean-out under boost is an extreme build up of heat really rapidly, it really is relying on fuel spray to keep things cool.

I feel for your situation.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts