Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I forgot to put this in, but a couple of months back I saw a goldish R171 labeled SLK300 at the local strip mall where I was at Circuit City.

·
Founding Member
4,599 Posts
I think I forgot to put this in, but a couple of months back I saw a goldish R171 labeled SLK300 at the local strip mall where I was at Circuit City.
Since Mercedes got it wrong with the 280, it's actually a 3.0 liter engine, the owner felt, he/she needs to correct the badge. :D

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
ya probably, i did not understand why they stuck with the 280 badge. I guess its because they didnt want to change it, and make it seem like the SLK's had two new motors. Or two new models, as keeping the 280 its still the same name as the 170.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ya probably, i did not understand why they stuck with the 280 badge. I guess its because they didnt want to change it, and make it seem like the SLK's had two new motors. Or two new models, as keeping the 280 its still the same name as the 170.
Mercedes stuck the 280 on it for two main reasons:

1. The 280 name is revered in Mercedes-Benz history, especially when considering the roadsters.

2. A car badged SLK300 may be mistaken at a distance as an SLK350. Since the SLK280 people are getting not much less car for much less money, they thought SLK350 owners would steam.

I beleive #1 was by far the main reason Mercedes did it. Plus, you know if they do not reuse a name in a lot of years, they lose the trademark. That's why Ford recently reused Montego and Five Hundred.

I was watching MTV's Cribs the other day: ''...and I's gots da Benz, six HU-NAD!"

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
May be they thought of problems with the SL300. If they badge it SLK300 nobody would by a 350 or 55 because of the big history.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts