Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At first I discounted the (C)omfort mode of my 7 speed automatic transmission but now seem to enjoy it. Didn't like the thought of a car starting out routinely in second gear. The user manual seems to lean towards (S)tandard mode as the daily setting.

Anyone have an idea of any maintenance penalty involved with leaving the car in (C)omfort mode most of the time?

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
How many miles on the vehicle? Doubt any maintenance penalty other than not engaging the first gear and getting it (first gear) seated/broken in correctly during the breaking in period.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We're at 17,000 miles now. I don't know at all how these sophisticated transmissions work, in the old days of a manual transmission you would burn up the clutch starting in second.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
It won't hurt anything in C.

However, I say, use S. While I don't agree with these terms, my dealer said S was for Sunny and C for Canada. You sound sunny.

I say, don't limit the response of the car, if you really need to move someday.

If you are ever in slippery conditions before heading out, you could switch to C.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, so sunny. I live about 2 miles from the beach and we have a stretch of road along the coast where it should be illegal for any convertible to drive with the top up. There are all kinds of 2 wheel cruisers, nice cars, and a mix of hopped up kids in pick ups. Avoid like plague. ;-)

This afternoon I was coming up on a stoplight and there was a kid stopped there in a brand new Dodge Challenger R/T with the retro headlamps. I mean beautiful. The light changed and I expected him to -launch-. He didnt and I saw his passenger window down so I gave a good stomp as I went by, filling his car with my growl - he was still stopped.

Well it's a 40 zone but that did not matter to him, he let all those ponies loose and probably went by (me doing 40) still accelerating at 60 himself.

With the top down - sounded pretty sweet to me.

Plenty of cops on that stretch of road - but none this afternoon.

Old guys rule. :rockon:

And sometimes start in (C)anada gear.

It won't hurt anything in C.

However, I say, use S. While I don't agree with these terms, my dealer said S was for Sunny and C for Canada. You sound sunny.

I say, don't limit the response of the car, if you really need to move someday.

If you are ever in slippery conditions before heading out, you could switch to C.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.