Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I am trying to clean up the front of my SLK280 and was wondering if anyone has experience removing the smaller chrome slats on the grille (or if you even have them)? I want the single larger chrome fins similar to newer SLK as well as the classic 300SL, and think the smaller ones take away from the look.

Does anyone else have this grille and have removed these smaller chrome slats? I want to remove them but am worried it won't look good underneath and I will have to buy a new grille (which looks like a PITA to replace). Is there a recommended way to pop them off? I have searched and have not seen many people that even have this option/grille. Other options I am considering are paint or a wrap (thoughts on finish?) (so I could bring back to original).

Also, any other recommended mods for front end to make it look less dated?

Alex

Attachments

·
Founding Member 2006
113,460 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jbanks15 - I didn't see this in your last post however. I did manage to update my car's year because I guess it doesn't carry from the garage into the profile...

Here's a closer look at the smaller slats - do these just pop off?

Attachments

·
Founding Member 2006
113,460 Posts
members will jump in. I have a 2009 now so don't remember much on my 2005 SLK 350
Thanks for updating. Get your free gift also!

·
Founding Member 2006
113,460 Posts

·
*Premium Member
2004 SLK200K
10,777 Posts
I haven't seen many, if any with the smaller slats in chrome, I have however seen them sold as an aftermarket accessory.
If other members can confirm this, the most likely is that they'll be stuck on with double sided tape that can be removed with the help of a hot air gun (or hairdryer) and shouldn't have damaged the original slats underneath, but I'd proceed with caution....

·
*Founding Member #2
2008 SLK55 AMG
19,485 Posts
I agree with curro101: the smaller chromed horizontal slats are not OEM Mercedes accessories, they are probably applied using double sided tape.

·
*DAS/STAR Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG
4,043 Posts
The OEM slats on the 55 are locked into place with clips - no double sided tape in site.

The clips and fixings are fiddly at best, but very secure once in place.

I'd probably go with tape for aftermarket stuff, unless they've bothered to replicate the exact shape of the original item...

I've seen some theat clip 'over' the exisiting slats, so no need to try and remove anything first (I did also read somewhere - I think - that the slats covers are only removable on the 55, not the other models as they are integrated into the bumpers, but could be wrong here...)

·
Founding Member 2006
113,460 Posts
I edited your pics!
Please enter the January Ride of the Month!

·
Founding Member 2006
113,460 Posts
May I suggest you change your side markers to clear or tinted and replace the whip antenna?

mods you should do:
smarttop

http://www.slkworld.com/general-discussion/121481-what-smarttop-all-members-keep-talking-about.html

clear or tinted side markers
shorty antenna
led license plate bulbs
led parking lights
carbon fiber on the C pillars http://www.slkworld.com/general-modifications-r171/50849-ive-taken-cf-plunge.html
carbon fiber center caps
oem windscreen or lighted/etched windscreen
See my mod albums for more ideas

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.