Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered 2000 SLK320
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After testing a 200 petrol slk yesterday for the wife it was noticeable how noisy it was(almost diesel like) another member pointed out both the diesel and petrol share the same fuel pump,having not considered a diesel I'm now going to test drive one before drving as they are more economical,quicker,lower tax and much more torque.Could any current or previous diesel owners give me any feedback and any known issues/things to look out for on them,many thanks for any help:|

·
Registered--SLK is no more
352 Posts
FYI They are only slightly quicker, but yes a helluva lotta torque.
The only noticeable issue you may have is if the model you purchased is affected by the injector recall... Oh don't buy red because it blisters :):)

·
Registered
78 Posts
There is a very long thread about the 250CDI and I owned one for three years. Apart from the taxi sound at start up it was quick, torguey and 40mpg plus however you drove it. In the end the diesel noise just got me down but as a fast, economical, stylist cruiser it was great.

·
*Registered
2017 SLC43
1,903 Posts
It's EXACTLY the same as any other SLK except it's got a Diesel engine in it. Ultimately only you and your wife know if it delivers what you want from your driving experience.

But well done for being open to the possibility!

·
Registered 2000 SLK320
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is a very long thread about the 250CDI and I owned one for three years. Apart from the taxi sound at start up it was quick, torguey and 40mpg plus however you drove it. In the end the diesel noise just got me down but as a fast, economical, stylist cruiser it was great.
Where is the 250cdi thread please and do you know what years we're affected by injector problems?

·
*Registered
2017 SLC43
1,903 Posts
Where is the 250cdi thread please and do you know what years we're affected by injector problems?
If the car had injector issues they were resolved at the next service. There won't be Many still waiting on the update because they are almost all taken as company cars from new.

http://www.slkworld.com/slk-r172-se...250-cdi-injector-recall.html?highlight=Diesel

There are LOADS about, most with no extras at all. But the Mercedes search engine should be able to get you whatever you require.

·
Registered 2000 SLK320
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If the car had injector issues they were resolved at the next service. There won't be Many still waiting on the update because they are almost all taken as company cars from new.

http://www.slkworld.com/slk-r172-se...250-cdi-injector-recall.html?highlight=Diesel

There are LOADS about, most with no extras at all. But the Mercedes search engine should be able to get you whatever you require.
Seen a 63 plate in palladium(my favourite colour for an r172),has loads of extras and one owner 19k miles,so any car that would have been affected by the injector problem would have been put right at an mb service?

·
*Registered
2017 SLC43
1,903 Posts
Seen a 63 plate in palladium(my favourite colour for an r172),has loads of extras and one owner 19k miles,so any car that would have been affected by the injector problem would have been put right at an mb service?
Yes. It was a recall. All affected cars will have been put right by now. Palladium is lovely in the sunlight. It looks like liquid metal.

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
I have had my 2012 CDI for c10 months now, and just done 12000 miles. Average MPG is 50.7, with a lot of driving in Sport Mode.

I like this car, a lot. It's reasonably quick, with lots of torque for over taking. It has good economy, and of course has the folding hard top like all SLK's. However, there are a few niggles that I have noticed. Firstly, the car seems to be easily upset by uneven road surfaces, sometimes jumping form side to side when you go over a bump or pot hole. Not a major issue, as it quickly recovers it's composure, but can be annoying. Also, whilst the brakes are great, sometiomes when the car is cold, I have noticed they seem to 'pulse' at low speed braking. I suspect it's something to do with the ABS when the car has just been started. Local MB dealers test drove it and reported the same findings, but also that they could find nothing wrong with the car. It only happens now and then, and only when the car is not warmed up, so not a major problem.

Other than having a service, and changing the oil myself once (and now due again), I have had no issues or problems with the car.

·
*Premium Member
2008 SLK55 AMG "Mabel"
17,983 Posts
Firstly, the car seems to be easily upset by uneven road surfaces, sometimes jumping form side to side when you go over a bump or pot hole. Not a major issue, as it quickly recovers it's composure, but can be annoying.
Did you get any feed back on this? I've noticed (hard not too!!) this sometimes happens to Mabel.

Reactions: Steve333

·
Registered 2000 SLK320
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have had my 2012 CDI for c10 months now, and just done 12000 miles. Average MPG is 50.7, with a lot of driving in Sport Mode.

I like this car, a lot. It's reasonably quick, with lots of torque for over taking. It has good economy, and of course has the folding hard top like all SLK's. However, there are a few niggles that I have noticed. Firstly, the car seems to be easily upset by uneven road surfaces, sometimes jumping form side to side when you go over a bump or pot hole. Not a major issue, as it quickly recovers it's composure, but can be annoying. Also, whilst the brakes are great, sometiomes when the car is cold, I have noticed they seem to 'pulse' at low speed braking. I suspect it's something to do with the ABS when the car has just been started. Local MB dealers test drove it and reported the same findings, but also that they could find nothing wrong with the car. It only happens now and then, and only when the car is not warmed up, so not a major problem.

Other than having a service, and changing the oil myself once (and now due again), I have had no issues or problems with the car.
Hi,thanks for the feedback on your car.

·
*Premium Member
96 Posts
I have had my 250CDI since Sept 2014 and absolutely love it. The only gripe I have is that I really want a 350 as it doesn't sound like it looks. Not noisy in the slightest (other than at cold start) just not sporty to listen to.

Having only just noticed that there is a SLK300 option, four cylinder turbo 245bhp, I enquired about one and was amazed at the offers with 26% off the list price readily available from three dealers already. (Probably due to the imminent SLC release)
Even MB online show dealer contributions above £9,000 for the SLK.

Now I need to see if it's feasible to change my current PCP deal to the SLK300. I doubt that the equity is there however as they have vastly overvalued the MGFV of mine at £20,000 so I may have to bide my time.
It's probably only worth £20,000 now as a trade in let alone in Sept 2017!

·
Registered 2000 SLK320
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have had my 250CDI since Sept 2014 and absolutely love it. The only gripe I have is that I really want a 350 as it doesn't sound like it looks. Not noisy in the slightest (other than at cold start) just not sporty to listen to.

Having only just noticed that there is a SLK300 option, four cylinder turbo 245bhp, I enquired about one and was amazed at the offers with 26% off the list price readily available from three dealers already. (Probably due to the imminent SLC release)
Even MB online show dealer contributions above £9,000 for the SLK.

Now I need to see if it's feasible to change my current PCP deal to the SLK300. I doubt that the equity is there however as they have vastly overvalued the MGFV of mine at £20,000 so I may have to bide my time.
It's probably only worth £20,000 now as a trade in let alone in Sept 2017!
Hi,thanks for your feedback,£9k off makes them about £27k new-must be the last unregistered slk's in the uk as mb not taking any factory orders!

·
Registered 2014 SLK250
188 Posts
FYI They are only slightly quicker, but yes a helluva lotta torque.
The only noticeable issue you may have is if the model you purchased is affected by the injector recall... Oh don't buy red because it blisters :):)
I have a red 250cdi which is not blistering, also not heard of any others that have

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.