Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had recently sold 1998 SLK230 to a good friend of mine, Chuck. He recently repaired it himself, and when I mentioned I wanted to publish his work in the forum he was nice enough to tear down again just to take pictures... thanks to Chuck, I'm posting this article for all to benefit...

Chuck:
I changed my front locking cylinder on my 1989 Mercedes 230 SLK for under $500 with no special tools.
Start early as this can take several hours to complete this task.
Step 1: Retract the hardtop half way.

Remove the headliner: 3 Philips screws in the front and 3 screws on each side.

Step 2: remove the cylinder bracket -- 3 star screws hold the bracket and 2 clamp ring and rods hold the cylinder to the bracket.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Step 5: The hydraulic lines do not com off the cylinder; you have to disconnect the lines from the pump located in the trunk. There are several clips and clamps that have to be undone to remove the line.

Step 6: To get to the pump you must open the trunk like the top is to be lowered. Then you must remove the safety lid, the right rear wheel cover and metal bracket over the pump.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Step 7: Remove the lines from the pump by cutting the black tie and twist the unlock level.
Caution: watch that all lines do not pop out.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

This is where you will need to fill hydraulic fluid.

Replace cylinder in reverse order... this completes the job.

The headliner was stained and had to be reupholstered with new material. A local shop did it for $50.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Trying to add liquid to the pump.

Hello ! Depressureize is needed in order to add liquid ? I tried to unscrew the cap for adding the hidraulic liquid but it did not moves, do not want to peel or brake anything so I stop until further advise. Any hint ? Thanks !

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello ! Depressureize is needed in order to add liquid ? I tried to unscrew the cap for adding the hidraulic liquid but it did not moves, do not want to peel or brake anything so I stop until further advise. Any hint ? Thanks !
It is that star headed driver. If they use anything other than that star tool with a socket wrench, then they could strip the plug.

Make sure you have the right tool (correct fitting) and nothing will brake. If you do not, then you will run into problems. They over tighten this fitting from the factory, this is a known problem.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks ! I have the star shaped tool for wrench use. Gonna put more strength in the effort, do I have to depressurize first ? Have a nice day ! Franky

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks again. I added a little more tork to the task and its DONNNE !!! :bannana: Working perfectly but... found a severe leakeage in the roof :( , so thats the next project. R) Have a nice day ! Franky

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey,

Can you tell me the part number for the cylinder and where u purchased it.
Did you keep the cylinder that was replaced? If so I would like to purchase it if for sale how much?

Terry SLK in sunny FLA

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
95,082 Posts
thank you.

are there any photo's
this thread is at least 4 years old. who are you asking for photos?
please use the 'quote' button at the bottom of anyone's post you wish to ask a question of or refer to their post otherwise they and we do not know who you are talking to. FYI :D

·
95,082 Posts
post 1-4 is where they were. or just em add em in the correct order here

·
95,082 Posts
i will send you a pm with my email if you want to send em to me

·
95,082 Posts
pics....................