Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been searching for about an hour and haven't been able to find how to diagnose this non working roof. Basically, I bought this car months ago but have put it to the side. It obviously needs some work.
Radio doesn't work
Roof doesn't work
Supercharger doesn't kick on
Interior needs a refresh.
Anyway, i'm working on getting the roof to work. The roof button illuminates continuously and doesn't move or even make any noises within the car. Where the heck do I start? I'm not getting any CEL's pertaining to the roof but I didn't really think I would. Is there a cheap laptop based diagnostics software I can purchase to do a full comprehensive vehicle scan?

·
Founding Member 2006
108,893 Posts

·
Founding Member 2006
108,893 Posts
Good? :D any idea how old? slks love great, not good

try a battery reset if you haven't

disconnect neg for minimum of 30 mins
but make sure you have radio code first
reconnect battery and reset clock and see what happens

·
Founding Member 2006
108,893 Posts
Radio doesn't work
Roof doesn't work

you check the fuses?

·
Founding Member 2006
108,893 Posts
forgive me. guy u got it from? does that mean bought from?
if things don't work, fuses first
but as mentioned. if the battery at a minimum does not have starting voltage of at least 12.3, it is not what the system needs for all the electronics to perform like they were designed.
try the battery reset as described above after checking the fuses.

do you need the fuse list and locations?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm sure I can find the fuses and location.
I am also sure the battery is fine. It has been reset multiple times since I was using it temporarily to start my diesel for a day or two. The battery is also charged enough to start the car quickly.

I guess I should elaborate. I'm an Audi/VW mechanic. I have a small shop here in Colorado and mainly fix and flip. I offer services to select customers as well. I'm very well versed in most brands but when it comes to Mercedes', I don't have any of the tooling or any clue frankly.

forgive me. guy u got it from? does that mean bought from?
if things don't work, fuses first
but as mentioned. if the battery at a minimum does not have starting voltage of at least 12.3, it is not what the system needs for all the electronics to perform like they were designed.
try the battery reset as described above after checking the fuses.

do you need the fuse list and locations?

·
Founding Member 2006
108,893 Posts
No problem. Members will chime in that can offer ideas
Europe though is sleeping so they will chime in tomorrow/soon :D
several fuses for both radio and roof in at least 2 locations

·
Founding Member 2006
108,893 Posts
let us know if you need those locations :D

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG /2005 SLK350
6,172 Posts
The roof is controlled by the CCM aka MFCU including the red button and the sensing switches. You should sanity check the switches since they get sticky, break, and get dislocated frequently. The switches are N.O. and, when closed, simply ground pins on the MFCU. Because the MFCU is easily accessed in situ you can test whether the switches are "correct" by back probing the MFCU pins. You don't need to disconnect it but you may need to cut some tie wraps for access.

Attach a test lamp to battery + and back-probe the following MFCU pins to sanity test their function (don't disconnect the MFCU from the harness; if the test light illuminates, then "function" is asserted):

S69/1 "roof closed" switch (in top of right A pillar): pin 32 GNBK;
S69/2 & S69/3 "roof locked" (right & left rotary tumbler are in series) pin 30 GNGY;
S69/7 & S69/8 "lid down" (Left & right) are in series: pin 37 BUYE;
S69/9 "lid open" (right rear crner): pin 52 BUYE;
S69/10 "luggage cover extended": pin 54 GYVT;
S69/11 "roof open" (starboard near quarter window): pin 33 GYPK;
S69/12 "trunk closed" lid/rotary tumbler/trunk lamp switch (insures nobody is putting groceries in the trunk) pin 69 BUGY;

S84 is the roof switch w/integral lamp, it can be tested similarly in both directions: pin 28 WHVT & 29 GNVT

For example if pin 32 lights the test lamp the MFCU thinks "yes the roof is closed"

·
Founding Member 2006
108,893 Posts

·
*Registered
1999 SLK230
160 Posts
roof problem

The roof is controlled by the CCM aka MFCU including the red button and the sensing switches. You should sanity check the switches since they get sticky, break, and get dislocated frequently. The switches are N.O. and, when closed, simply ground pins on the MFCU. Because the MFCU is easily accessed in situ you can test whether the switches are "correct" by back probing the MFCU pins. You don't need to disconnect it but you may need to cut some tie wraps for access.

Attach a test lamp to battery + and back-probe the following MFCU pins to sanity test their function (don't disconnect the MFCU from the harness; if the test light illuminates, then "function" is asserted):

S69/1 "roof closed" switch (in top of right A pillar): pin 32 GNBK;
S69/2 & S69/3 "roof locked" (right & left rotary tumbler are in series) pin 30 GNGY;
S69/7 & S69/8 "lid down" (Left & right) are in series: pin 37 BUYE;
S69/9 "lid open" (right rear crner): pin 52 BUYE;
S69/10 "luggage cover extended": pin 54 GYVT;
S69/11 "roof open" (starboard near quarter window): pin 33 GYPK;
S69/12 "trunk closed" lid/rotary tumbler/trunk lamp switch (insures nobody is putting groceries in the trunk) pin 69 BUGY;

S84 is the roof switch w/integral lamp, it can be tested similarly in both directions: pin 28 WHVT & 29 GNVT

For example if pin 32 lights the test lamp the MFCU thinks "yes the roof is closed"
Hi Efair, I am not good at abbreviations, can toy please simplify the abbreviations you are using so may be I can use please? Thank you

·
*Premium Member
2002 Blue SLK320 known as 'Silkie"
4,284 Posts
Hi Efair, I am not good at abbreviations, can toy please simplify the abbreviations you are using so may be I can use please? Thank you
The four letter abbreviations are wire colours. Here are the codes in long-hand...

pin 32 GNBK - Green/Black
pin 30 GNGY - Green/Grey
pin 37 BUYE - Blue/Yellow
pin 52 BUYE - Blue/Yellow
pin 54 GYVT - Grey/Violet
pin 33 GYPK - Grey/Pink
pin 69 BUGY - Blue/Grey
pin 28 WHVT - White/Violet
pin 29 GNVT - Green/Violet

Reactions: M4rCu5

·
*Registered
1999 SLK230
160 Posts
switches

The four letter abbreviations are wire colours. Here are the codes in long-hand...

pin 32 GNBK - Green/Black
pin 30 GNGY - Green/Grey
pin 37 BUYE - Blue/Yellow
pin 52 BUYE - Blue/Yellow
pin 54 GYVT - Grey/Violet
pin 33 GYPK - Grey/Pink
pin 69 BUGY - Blue/Grey
pin 28 WHVT - White/Violet
pin 29 GNVT - Green/Violet
Thank you very much for your simplification, these pins are in the 38 pin connector? if I have a ohm meter can I check these pins, if so can you please tell me how it is done,
I appreciate all the help you have given, I still need to resolve my roof problem that does not open. Thank you have a nice day

·
*Premium Member
2002 Blue SLK320 known as 'Silkie"
4,284 Posts
Thank you very much for your simplification, these pins are in the 38 pin connector? if I have a ohm meter can I check these pins, if so can you please tell me how it is done,
I appreciate all the help you have given, I still need to resolve my roof problem that does not open. Thank you have a nice day
No. These pins are the pins on the Multi-function control module, known as N10. It's location is found from this part of SLKWorld You can use efair's advice and use a 12v lamp as he describes to test the roof logic or if you're more comfortable with a diagram have a look at the attachments below.

Text Line Font Parallel Design

If the diagram is too small to read let me know and I'll find another way to get the info published.

Reactions: M4rCu5
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.