Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
61 - 63 of 63 Posts

*Registered
1998 SLK230
The fact that the engine appears to be running well is a bit curious. Is there any white colored smoke coming from the exhaust, or a milky film present on the inside of the oil fill cap when you remove it while the engine is cold ?

Did the garage actually test for a blown head gasket, or were they merely speculating ? If they say they ran a test, I would ask them to elaborate.

As @Dave2302 pointed out, there is an engine combustion leak test kit available. It can be purchased quite cheaply eg. under 40 quid.

Have you re-filled the coolant and then looked for any obvious leaks with the engine running ?

**Premium Member '02 R170 SLK V8 5.0 & '00 SLK320
I don't know any reputable Garage business in it's right mind that would replace Piston and Seals in a Caliper, I certainly wouldn't on a Customers vehicle ..................

1) If I buy a new, lets say Girling Caliper and the customer drives off happy and suddenly the Caliper cracks loss of Brakes, big mass fireball, 3 folks dead etc etc yak yak yak then Girling are liable provided it was fitted correctly. If on the other hand, I rebuild someones Caliper then I am now liable for at least 6 - 12 months (reasonable warranty time for a rebuilt part) ;)

2) It is not cost effective when you consider at least 2 hours to strip, clean, repaint and rebuild, plus vehicle stuck on lift downtime whilst paint is drying etc ;)

It horrifies me that folks actually buy these kits of Seals and Pistons and DIY 'em, especially when you consider that the parts eminate from the land of Chow Mein, so the Seals are probably made from recycled condoms and the such like :eek:

Reactions: BaD_81

*Registered
It horrifies me that folks actually buy these kits of Seals and Pistons and DIY 'em, especially when you consider that the parts eminate from the land of Chow Mein, so the Seals are probably made from recycled condoms and the such like :eek:
Big Red I believe it was, made in UK with warranty. Rubber boot to keep the dust off and internal teflon (like) seal to keep the oil in. 2 bolt caps, grease pack.
That was on the left (near) side, where the same people replaced the right (driver), 1 year prior. With non branded one for 90拢 with returning the original Toyota caliper back to the seller.

On a personal experience, with a repair kit from a brand I do not remember my '96 Accord did 40K km and was transferred to a different person. No one complained (nope no crashes). Recently I saw it for sale with 320 000 on the clock, all the bumpers with drywall screws....but with the alloys ;).

61 - 63 of 63 Posts