Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
41 - 60 of 63 Posts

· *Registered
2001 SLK230K
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Not being funny just asking, coolant leak is or is not a MOT failure?
Knowing issue with pipe, expansion tank, etc....is not making the car "dangerous" is it?
I haven't seen it for myself yet, they just said "we're not able to run the car". - I asked if that meant the engine doesn't start, and they said it starts, but essentially they don't want to risk running the car without coolant (I'm assuming that means it's all gone. Considering I filled it up 24 hours earlier, that's not a good sign...

· **Premium Member '02 R170 SLK V8 5.0 & '00 SLK320
9,057 Posts
Some advice from a small MB Indie garage owner ;) ...................

A Mercedes in good condition is a fine Car, a reliable Car. A neglected Mercedes is a nightmare. There is no such thing as a cheap Mercedes.

I work on Mercedes old and new day in day out. For an average guy with average wage they are not economical to restore if you keep having to pay garages labour rates, for example to diagnose a coolant leak !! Couple that with the fact that many many regular garages do not understand the cars, other less scrupulous garages see a Mercedes and see ££££££££££, and some garages are just downright cowboys.

An Indie like myself will charge you, and charge you well, but most indies have high overheads, and have worked for years gaining their knowledge.

Don't let that put you off though ...................

Providing you are willing to learn, willing to buy tools and willing to do the work, we on this forum can help you.

We have already said that we suspect your heater matrix is the culprit, based upon minimal info, it is also possible that you have a head gasket issue though bearing in mind how quick the coolant has dropped.

Now, why can you not pay MOT station a few sheckles to top it up and just do the bloomin' MOT, then we can give you advice on what needs fixed, and you can make a decision based upon fact rather than gawd knows which garage mechanics best guess which is based on his own vested interest to take your money ................ Not all, but certainly more garages than there should be that will fleece you !!

There is no such thing as a cheap Mercedes, if you need a cheap to maintain car buy a Honda ;)

· *Registered
2001 SLK230K
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
it is also possible that you have a head gasket issue though bearing in mind how quick the coolant has dropped.
Bingo - they've just called and said the head gasket needs replacing. Not something they can do so I'll have to bring it back.

In terms of putting it through its MOT anyway - I'd love to, but because of the problem with the lights, I'm not confident that even with a new head gasket and heater matrix it would pass. If I was, I'd consider it. The outlay just seems too steep without reward. Plus, I don't have a garage to do the work in myself, so even if I looked at it as a project (which I'd love to), I can't realistically be doing that work on a steep cramped driveway in the rain.

I'm guessing the cost to replace head gasket would be hundreds (thousands?), so it's unfortunately a non-starter (pardon the pun).

Thanks again everyone. If there's anybody local to Nottingham that fancies taking it off my hands, let me know!

9,057 Posts
If there's anybody local to Nottingham that fancies taking it off my hands, let me know!
How much do you want for it ?

/\ /\ /\ @ADH

Parts car ?

• Love
Reactions: BaD_81 and M4rCu5

9,057 Posts
It's all down to the price really, Engine is financially scrap, plus all the other issues, but yeah, it's worth £200 to someone local to harvest Modules, Trim parts, Panels etc etc.

I'd buy it, but it would cost me another circa £300 in Diesel to go collect it wiv D15KOE and Trailer, if it were a V6 Car and I knew it was VGC rust wise I'd pay more, I did do re the Silver V6amabob I got, and then ended up with a weldathon ;) This one being a 4 pot has much less interest for me and in the Video I see a few scabby and other signs that it hasn't been garaged all it's life ;)

· *Registered
2001 SLK230K
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
I picked it up and it drove home beautifully. Such a shame, but it's getting picked up for scrap tomorrow. They're giving me 410 for it so all in all I shouldn't be too disheartened. If I had a garage to put it in I'd keep it and learn to fix it as a project, but alas....

Thanks again for all your help. If I ever get another SLK, I'm sure I'll be back here!

· *Premium Member
2001 SLK200K/2001 SLK320
3,906 Posts
I picked it up and it drove home beautifully. Such a shame, but it's getting picked up for scrap tomorrow. They're giving me 410 for it so all in all I shouldn't be too disheartened. If I had a garage to put it in I'd keep it and learn to fix it as a project, but alas....

Thanks again for all your help. If I ever get another SLK, I'm sure I'll be back here!
Which scrap yard is offering £410 collected? Seems a fair price

· *Premium Member
1999 SLK230 Turbo
2,328 Posts
I've personally used K seal and long story short likelihood is it won't work, but sometimes you can just give a bit more torque on the headbolts and it can cure it. But on the M111 engine it is more common that the fire rings go on the fibre headgasket around cylinder 3 or the corner of the block on cylinder 1. The headgasket is such a common failure on these engines due to the stock Victor rienz unit that Mercedes used not being up to the job in terms of longevity. We have blown up, melted pistons and destroyed so many headgaskets it's painful.
Mercedes Benz Headgasket Issues... Prevent Them With A MLS Headgasket For The M111
Stern Garage in Germany offer a MLS headgasket Multi layer Steel this will remove this week point and add a layer of reliability to the engine.
Mercedes M111 Engine Just Won't Die! #shorts

This is old now but this was our turbo Slk

They do take some to keep me going 🤣, at some point I will be building a M111 2.5 turbo stroker using BMW parts and a Diesel crank. But these cars can be great and if you can get them cheap and are mechanically savvy can make great cars, but all will need some form of work due to age now. I always recommend the earlier Kompressor engine due to it being a bit more stout and having the larger supercharger. Just for future reference 😉

9,057 Posts
Has anybody had any experience with that?
I concur with @Alex.M-oneeleven it's a very short term fix on most with Aluminium Heads ;).

Older Diesels with Cast Iron Block and Head, when we were testing stuff, we had one good result on a very old Shogun Diesel. I don't advise "Snake Oil" type products, do it right or scrap it.

What can it hurt?
On an R170, I'd estimate blocked Duo Valves, Aux Water Pump and Heater Core ;)

9,057 Posts
Yeah I get that buddy, I wasn't having a pop ;) Just to clarify, my view in this case is if OP did try the Jollop and it worked, he'd then have more stuff he doesn't want to fix 🤣

In actual fact, we only have one garages word that it is H/G, if I were OP I'd buy an inexpensive sniffer tool and double check that diagnosis, if H/G is OK, next step is to buy a metre of heater hose and some Jubillees to bypass the Heater Matrix to see if the leak stops ;) Like he has said it is running OK ;)

Per chance @benfrew .............. It wasn't the garage mechanic that offered you £410 was it ? ...................... Nuff said ?????????????????????????????????

A lot of factors etc will sell summat like this :-

· *Premium Member
2001 SLK200K/2001 SLK320
3,906 Posts
In actual fact, we only have one garages word that it is H/G, if I were OP I'd buy an inexpensive sniffer tool and double check that diagnosis, if H/G is OK, next step is to buy a metre of heater hose and some Jubillees to bypass the Heater Matrix to see if the leak stops ;) Like he has said it is running OK ;)
Im glad you said that, as it does seem odd that it's running so well, whilst losing so much coolant :unsure:

1ltr+ in an hr that's presumably dumping into one or two cylinders and it's still pulling like a train? hmm :unsure:

Could be very mild Head Gasket, which is where they most likely gained their conclusion from .. AND the Heater Matrix..

£410's pretty good though, all things considered

9,057 Posts
Knowing the motor trade how I do, and having been in it for 46 coming up 47 years of my 60 goin' on 61 I can honestly say I've seen it all .........................

I'd want to verify any HG diagnosis myself, and the wee cheap sniffer would be money well spent ;)
I have a sniifer, a bit more fancy being a Snap On, but it's the same principle & chemical used to detect combustion gases ;)

Even if they weren't wanting to buy the car cheap, they may not want the hassle of finding and fixing the leak, perhaps they have been bitten by an MB before, so it is far easier for them to sound all professional like and talk a customer into "It's not worth doing" !
MOT Garages they like quick turnaround work, my tester mans garage always send the bigger jobs here ;)

There is another garage near me who tells customers "Mercedes are not repairable" ................. Because he is a no nuffink who got bitten when someone took him to court for screwing up their ML :rolleyes:

I fixed that ML now they come here all the time ;)

• Helpful

· *Registered
1,085 Posts
Knowing the motor trade how I do, and having been in it for 46 coming up 47 years of my 60 goin' on 61 I can honestly say I've seen it all .........................

I'd want to verify any HG diagnosis myself, and the wee cheap sniffer would be money well spent ;)
I have a sniifer, a bit more fancy being a Snap On, but it's the same principle & chemical used to detect combustion gases ;)

Even if they weren't wanting to buy the car cheap, they may not want the hassle of finding and fixing the leak, perhaps they have been bitten by an MB before, so it is far easier for them to sound all professional like and talk a customer into "It's not worth doing" !
MOT Garages they like quick turnaround work, my tester mans garage always send the bigger jobs here ;)

There is another garage near me who tells customers "Mercedes are not repairable" ................. Because he is a no nuffink who got bitten when someone took him to court for screwing up their ML :rolleyes:

I fixed that ML now they come here all the time ;)
The MOT station, I used to use before moving, were offering new calliper (different car not mine) instead replacing the piston (the set comes with rubbers too). And have replaced only left front spring and left front shock absorber (not set). The suspension elements they noted as advisory in 2021, were not mentioned in the 2022 MOT.
So yes you have a point, but the distance, the efforts, the time (I know, I spent 9 months to do it my way) are a factor.
And OP's vehicle being near me (I have extra parking spot) has only 1 downside it is a FL. Not like mine.
But on the side of breaker's offer. 20 component x20£ = 400£ and the rest can still go for scrap.
So side mirrors, more than 20 over eb**. Rims airbags plus module for them, something more than 20£ I think, fan controller, 6-7 black boxes, ABS module, DAS with locks and keys, PSE, roofpump.....however it takes time and space not a spoon for every mouth as we know.

41 - 60 of 63 Posts