Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear All
I'm in the process of Fitting a Larger Bottom Crank Pulley, off with the original 185mm on with 192mm. Can any one please advise me on the size of the Alternator Pulley that I should use. As I do not want my Alternator to spin to fast when the engine is running at high speeds. I have the standard Bosch 90amp Alternator fitted but may be fitting a higher output Alternator due to an uprated sound system that is being fitted.

My car is a SLK230 R170 1999

Thanks as usual for all your help.

Kind regards

Husky

·
Registered 2000 SLK320
348 Posts
Maths not my best subject but at a guess you need to work out the circumpherence of both the old and new crank pulleys, calculate the % increase and apply that percentage increase to your alternator pulley to get the circumpherence required then work back to get the diameter.
That should keep the alternater at the same speed, the voltage regulator in the back of the alternator should regulate the alternator output anyway so you may not need to alter the alternator pulley.
Regards Stuart.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks a lot, I did look up the info but it was nearly mid night and after 18 hours in the workshop my brain just gave up the ghost. So the easy option was to post a note but thank you for your reply.

Stay cool.

Husky

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I installed an ASP overdrive crank pulley on my 230 many years ago and to this day never had any issues with the alt.
Hello across the Pond! Very interesting and your not the first to say I could be OK but really appreciate your input. The gear changing of 7mm is not that great and I would think I'm still just within safe limits?

Thanks for your experience that's always worth it's weight in gold.

Stay cool.

Husky

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.