Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I've done several searches to try and find some information, but nothing so far seems to fit the exact odd symptoms that I'm having, so hopefully someone will be able to help me out...

My '98 SLK230 won't start anymore. Prior to this happening, I had two successful starts, in which both times, the battery ceased to charge and resulted in the car slowly dying out. However, I did not get a battery light and my SRS light came on.

A few days later, I wanted to check the alternator just to be sure it wasn't bad, prior to ordering the relay, as M-B charges $157 for it. But, when I went to start my car, the battery and power all came on, but upon turning the key, it just clicks and will not start. Battery was re-charged 100% and is brand-new.

Does anyone have any insight into this? Id greatly appreciate any information that could help me out!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tested both of those with multimeter. They seem to be just fine.

I'm doing a lot of searches online...could this specific problem be a K40 or maybe an engine immobilizer problem? Also, if it were the immobilizer preventing the car from starting, what signs would it show?

·
Registered
350 Posts
after that, check starter is working.
run a wire to the terminals and see if it spins with a direct from battery connection.
also make sure engine will actually turn. ( ie. not seized. ) spanner on crank.(ignition OFF!!)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright, starter is good. Engine is also not seized.

Starting to look more and more like immobilizer to me. Do these go bad easily? Would I have to go to the dreaded dealership to fix that?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Check the threads on the CPS, crankshaft position sensor. I had intermittent cranking problems, found no issues with the battery but replaced it because it was 6 yrs old. Worked fine for a while. Then started having problem cranking again. Finally got to the point the car would not turnover. Replaced the CPS today ($40 part) and it cranked right up. Very easy DIY replacement.

If you search CPS or cranking issues, you will see all of the different symptoms.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.