Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I really need help im having some weird intermitant shaking when I turn my car on..

Sometimes the misfires occure only in D or R gear sometimes in every single one even in neutral.

I changed all my spark plugs.
I went to the mercedes shop and they told me I had a "cyl. #3 misfire", but everything is ok we testee it. The compression is pretty good as well, fuel injectors perfect..........

And sometimes there is NO misfires and the car runs "good" (like yesterday)

I have no idea really need help please.

slk 230, 2000 with about 104.000 miles.

I recorded the misfires in P gear: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaMPLtOMdMw

Thank you

·
Administrator Founding Member since 2006
105,011 Posts
Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from Valrico, Florida!

First please update your location and vehicle (year?: 1996-2016, model?: 32, 200, 230, 250, 280, 300,320,350,55) in your profile as it helps the members answer your questions which usually are based on that information if you haven’t.
Follow exactly to update: ‘Usercp’ at the top of page, then ‘edit your details’ on the left side, ‘additional information’ near the bottom, edit your ‘location’ and ‘vehicle’. Your profile is NOT updated in your ‘personal garage’.

Your 1st thread should be your introduction so we can welcome you properly so post an introduction in the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section, if you haven’t already. New Members Introduce Yourself Here - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum

Some tips to make your visit here more enjoyable:
If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
If you wish to become PM (Private Message) capable, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM.
Want to post a picture? Start a new thread or make a post, click ‘edit’, click on the ‘paper clip’ or ‘advanced’ and/or ‘manage attachments’ then ‘choose file’ then ‘upload’ and ‘submit’! If Iphone pics, you need to rename any additional pics as Iphone names its pics all the same, image.jpg.
Want to ‘like’ or thank’ someone’s comments? Use the ‘like’ button to the right or the ‘Thanks’ button, bottom right of any post you like. This saves you having to comment.
New members should be aware that the 'New Posts' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under ‘quick links’ when you leave.
Post your vin in the Vehicle Datacard Request section to get a free datacard (options on your car). You must update your profile with vehicle info and your location and post an introduction first.
Also vote or enter our Ride of the Month competition: ROTM Submissions & Voting - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum

Thank you
Jeff
Moderator/Founding Member/Ride of the Month Coordinator

·
Premium Member 1998 SLK230
3,537 Posts
I had a similar problem,
a few months after I had the dealership replace the coils & spark plugs
the check engine light came on & the engine ran rough.
I restarted the car, the misfire was gone & the engine ran smooth.
I took the car in to the dealer & they read the codes saying there was a misfire on 1 of the cylinders.
They did some tests & swapped the coils around & still could not get the problem to repeat.
There was no charge as the parts they were checking were under warranty.
A week later, same problem I drove into the dealership with the car misfiring & asked them to leave the car running till a tech was able to see the car. It was a faulty coil & they replaced it for free.
I would have your mechanic swap the coils, next time you get a misfire take it in have the codes read & if the misfire moves to another cylinder its the coil.

·
Registered
63 Posts
That was my understanding of how to best diagnose this. If your plugs are good, swap out your wires. See if the fault follows. If it does, replace the wires. If it doesn't, swap the coils. If the fault follows the coil, you have found the issue.

Worked for me. Sadly, I've had to replace both coils over the last 6 months. On the plus side, I look at it like there is less to go wrong now!!

Cheers,
Jay

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.