Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to all
Just compressed the front coil spring to replace but stumped by top nut and hex spindle
I tried to free the nut by striking sharply with a hammer but the top plate just spins with it
Any ideas appreciated ,I am using a 21 mm socket and the spindle is a 7 mm hex.
Cheers
Paul

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi thanks ,
So did you just strike with a hammer how did you stop the centre spindle from spinning
Cheers

·
Long Time Member 2005 slk350
3,682 Posts
Lift the rubber dust boot up on the spindle and put a pare of mole grips on the shaft as close to the top as you can get it .
Then hold the mole grips and free off top nut.
Mole grips will go between the gap in the coil

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This may sound like a stupid question but it does undo anti - clockwise ?
I did try using a g clamp to stop the plate spinning when I strike the nut but no luck ,I have put some WD 40 on and will have be another go tomorrow
Cheers
Paul

·
Registered 2009 SLK200
4,936 Posts
I use a special tool to hold the shaft as to cause no damage to shaft .
Nut undoes Anti clockwise .

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks again , I have not compressed the spring sufficiently to get mole grips in there. I am thinking about a heavy duty off-set ring spanner and a 7 mm hex to hold the shaft. Although I have a good set of spring compressors I am a bit nervous about compressing it any more
I just need to hold of the spanner and hex wrench , I have every other size except those c'est la vie
Thanks again
Paul

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
HI to all quick update.
Managed to get the nut off using 7 mm hex/Allen key and a 21mm socket .
Using a mole wrench to clamp the socket did the job. I bought a decent set of spring compressors from screw -fix and managed to compress the spring enough to loosen the top hat /nut. However the only way I could compress sufficiently was to clamp the compressor onto the underside of the spring support plate. Getting it back on was a different matter as I could not then clamp onto the plate. I tried may configurations but ended up taking it to a local garage who did it using a hydraulic compressor, even that wasn't straightforward, that front spring is a awkward shape.
Anyhow sorted at last thanks for replies
Paul

1 - 11 of 11 Posts