Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
You may seen here that I get 209 hp from 68mm pulley only:
http://www.slkworld.com/performance-mods-r170/434329-diy-pulley-chip-slk200-sim4le-m111evo.html
I think that key to success is very accurate ECU tuning and adaptation for supercharger mod and smaller pulley.

Maybe it's lsounds crazy but I plan to get 300 hp from M111evo and Eaton M45.

My plan is:
1. Supercharger hub mod for installing 52 mm pulley (SC aslo will be restored and ported)
2. New fuel injectors.
3. ECU tune.

At this point I plan to check power with dyno and I hope to get 260-270 hp.

Next steps:
4. Custom 4-1 header + CAT delete + straight muffler.
5. Bigger Intercooler.
6. ECU tune ones more.

And here I plan to get 300 hp.

Very ambicious project, I know,
But, please, wish me a good luck :)

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
94,996 Posts
Put a v8 in it like Turdo2 did!
See his thread

·
Premium Member 1999 SLK 5.4 M113
1,433 Posts
the 4.3L is rated at 275hp, but without a dyno, there is no way to tell. mine, with my tune could only be making 250? but it could be more??

It made a car go from 7.4 seconds to 60mph down to 6.0 - 6.3 0-60. You can see my youtube videos. watch some SLK32's, and their 0-60 times are similar (and they are supposed to have 349hp)

I can tell you one thing for sure - that transmission may not be able to handle it. Right now I have the "low-torque" (230slk) 722.6 auto transmission bolted to mine and it is not very happy. you can always take the bell housing and bolt it to a "high-torque" box... unless you have a manual.

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
2,224 Posts
As you probably know, the R170 was also available in both a normally aspirated SLK 320 and SLK32 AMG, a supercharged version. The two V6 engines are in the same family, but are principally different in that the supercharged horsepower is 349 vs the normally aspirated engine at 215 that’s a 62% increase in HP for the supercharged engine (these output figures are for US cars). In order for MB to extract that much more power from the supercharged version of the 3.2L engine, they had to do some significant reworking of the lower end of the engine to support the dramatically increased stress that the crankshaft along with all the bearings, connecting rods, and pistons would be subjected to. Other components also had to be redesigned to hold up to the stress. Your idea of increasing the output of your engine by 81% is intriguing, but it may not last long without the lower end designed for this much higher specific output.

I’m not trying to talk you out of it or suggest it shouldn’t be done, I’m just making sure you are going into this project with your eyes fully open. And, if you do figure out how to hold the eninge together, you may also want to spend some time figuring out how to get the brakes that were designed to stop a car with 165HP, to stop the car when the engine is putting out 300HP and the commenserate speed that comes with that much power. Keep us posted and best of luck.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, I have manual.
I hope it could handle that power.

the 4.3L is rated at 275hp, but without a dyno, there is no way to tell. mine, with my tune could only be making 250? but it could be more??

It made a car go from 7.4 seconds to 60mph down to 6.0 - 6.3 0-60. You can see my youtube videos. watch some SLK32's, and their 0-60 times are similar (and they are supposed to have 349hp)

I can tell you one thing for sure - that transmission may not be able to handle it. Right now I have the "low-torque" (230slk) 722.6 auto transmission bolted to mine and it is not very happy. you can always take the bell housing and bolt it to a "high-torque" box... unless you have a manual.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
M111 engine reliable one. It has cast-iron cylinders.
Hope It will be ok.

Also SLK200, whole car, is lighter than SLK32, and my with manual.
Theoreticaly it could be faster :)

I will post step by step.

As you probably know, the R170 was also available in both a normally aspirated SLK 320 and SLK32 AMG, a supercharged version. The two V6 engines are in the same family, but are principally different in that the supercharged horsepower is 349 vs the normally aspirated engine at 215 that’s a 62% increase in HP for the supercharged engine (these output figures are for US cars). In order for MB to extract that much more power from the supercharged version of the 3.2L engine, they had to do some significant reworking of the lower end of the engine to support the dramatically increased stress that the crankshaft along with all the bearings, connecting rods, and pistons would be subjected to. Other components also had to be redesigned to hold up to the stress. Your idea of increasing the output of your engine by 81% is intriguing, but it may not last long without the lower end designed for this much higher specific output.

I’m not trying to talk you out of it or suggest it shouldn’t be done, I’m just making sure you are going into this project with your eyes fully open. And, if you do figure out how to hold the eninge together, you may also want to spend some time figuring out how to get the brakes that were designed to stop a car with 165HP, to stop the car when the engine is putting out 300HP and the commenserate speed that comes with that much power. Keep us posted and best of luck.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
3D of new supercharger hub

Hello dear community,

I done some measurements and calculations, and here is 3D model of pulley hub for Eaton M45,
which will allow to install extremely small pulley.
I will produce it in metal in nearest time.

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Eaton M45 52mm pulley. Results.

I tested this config\stage:

1. Supercharger hub mod for installing 52 mm pulley (SC aslo will be restored and ported)
2. New fuel injectors.
3. ECU tune.

Intake manifold pressure raise up to 1.9 - 2.0 bar, thats good, but also intake temp raise up to 85-100 C degrees.
And I receive 200 hp only (35 C atm. temp, also too hot). Thats because hot air density smaller. Difference bettween 50 and 100 C is about 20-25%,
and thats where my additional 50-60 hp located.

I need big intercooler, thats could help.
Original one is too small, and 2.5 times bigger may be installed.

Attachments

·
Registered 2005 SLK55 AMG & 2006 Kleemann 55K S8
911 Posts
One issue with going to that small of a pulley is that you have less surface area contacting the belt (belt wrap) and you may have the belt slip. That is why most SC cars go with a bigger crank pulley and smaller sc pulley. Good luck!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
One issue with going to that small of a pulley is that you have less surface area contacting the belt (belt wrap) and you may have the belt slip. That is why most SC cars go with a bigger crank pulley and smaller sc pulley. Good luck!
I made some investigation in this case.
Minimum pulley diameter to our belt is 45 mm.
I also used special belt aerosol, which increase grip.

·
Registered 2016 SLC43
303 Posts
I'm wishing all the luck in the world . I did speers crank pulley , his ecu tune then bigger intercooler and an induction cone I had kicking around . It all worked well but I did realise the larger intercooler whilst bigger wouldn't offer much more as the original design is excellent and works very well with the original ducting .
Personally I think your best off concentrating on induction and exhaust after the pulley , id try and modify the original log type manifold with porting and polishing as opposed to buying the eBay special manifold with the right angle entry , or get one custom made with some easier entry curves .
If your serious there's a lot of weight to be thrown out of a 230 , it would make a huge difference, I'm guessing a lighter flywheel, I was looking into them , would make a difference too .
300bhp is optimistic without nitrous ingection but I don't think you need that power , lighten the car then set the suspension and you'll be onto a winner , I've always wanted someone to prove the 170 is a very underrated car , my old one is still running as strong as ever and now has 30000 extra miles on since I modded it a few years ago , trouble free as well , as you say, it's a strong base .
Good luck

·
Registered 1997 SLK230 Kompressor
17 Posts
Hi Serge,

I currently own a 260+hp pre facelift slk230 (double pulley m62) (it has a remap and a full open 2.5inch exhaust and 6.7kg flywheel since the last dyno, hoping for 280hp now)

my previous project was a c200k with eaton m45 and the sim4le ecu (same like tours) , it made 222hp at the flywheel with only a 67mm pulley

to reach your power goals:
I think methanol injection to cool down the hot air might be a good idea for your setup.

-spray past the maf so the maf doesn't go crazy from the water/methanol mix (ideal would be a maf before the blower and spray trough the blower)

-relocate the iat element from the maf straight into the methanol stream (small usually bleu electronic component, it is directly connected to the maf connector if you measure for resistance), or even use a spare ultra cheap china maf and use the iat sensor from that one

now to get even more hp:
-use a slightly larger supercharger pulley since you are spinning it 20k+ rpm, slow it down a tiny bit (prep for higher redline)

-raise the rev limiter to 6600rpm (the engine can take it)

-use 2.5inch or more exhaust piping and a 4in1 manifold with 1.65inch runners (the engine will like that and will make more power into redline

just some suggenstions and findings from what I have learned by messing around with these engines

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.