Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, this the first time I have ever been on a car forum, but wondered if anyone knows why my SLK has only done 120 miles per half a tank this week??! It only does 320 to a full tank at the best of times, but this is bordering on ridiculous. I'm wondering if to because we had a cold spell. Has anyone else experienced this or know what might be wrong?

Thanks for any suggestions....

·
Founding Member 2006
108,943 Posts
Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from Valrico, Florida!

Some tips to make your visit here more enjoyable:
If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
If you wish to become PM (Private Message) capable, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM. You can always pm a moderator.
Want to post a picture? Start a new thread or make a post, click ‘edit’, click on the ‘paper clip’ or ‘advanced’ and/or ‘manage attachments’ then ‘choose file’ then ‘upload’ and ‘submit’! If Iphone pics, you need to rename any additional pics as Iphone names its pics all the same, image.jpg.
Want to ‘like’ or thank’ someone’s comments? Use the ‘like’ button to the right or the ‘Thanks’ button, bottom right of any post you like. This saves you having to comment.
New members should be aware that the 'New Posts' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under ‘quick links’ when you leave.
FREE!! Post your vin in the Vehicle Datacard Request section to get a free datacard (options on your car). You must update your profile with vehicle info and your location and post an introduction first.
Also vote or enter our Ride of the Month competition: ROTM Submissions & Voting - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum

Thank you
Jeff
Moderator/Founding Member/Ride of the Month Coordinator

·
Founding Member 2006
108,943 Posts

·
**Registered 2009 SLK200
5,871 Posts
Well a 1.8 petrol facelift model does slight better mpg you would get say 332 miles you should do half a tank of fuel .

Thats if my memory serves me correct.

Thats motorway driving and taking it easy with a section of 50mph zones .

If that helps at all .

I doubt any fuel additives may help ( no dissrespect Mr Banks )
But will give better smoother / slight performance running

But id have the engine serviced and have the car read for codes etc .
A real dirty air filter as an example can knock off your mpg huge .

Do you have original alloys on the car or bigger ones ?
Tyre pressures all correct ?
Wheel alignment out can have a slight effect if out ?
Brakes binding ?
And .....

Note do you have a 170 model or 171 ??

As 2004 is on the year change i think ?

Need to put up what model and if its a 2.0 or 2.3 cc or a 1.8

·
* Administrator (Premium Member)
37,942 Posts
Using heaters, aircon will have an effect on mpg.
Tyre pressures reduce in cold weather, which is also detrimental.

Style of driving, route (motorway/multi lane gives good economy roughly 36 mpg & town stop/start give poor economy roughly 24mpg -R171 figures)

How often and when it was last serviced matters too.

Might be worth trying techron a smoother running car wastes less fuel and fouls the spark plugs less.
Although the same amount of fuel enters the chamber, less is burnt on rougher running engines. So you use the gas pedal more to get the same power and that will be bad for fuel consumption too.

Finally,

Welcome to the forum from Wirral, England.

Edited to add:
If it's the older R170 model then it will use more fuel if in summer mode rather than winter mode. Don't know if the R171 has the same/similar option.

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG
11,537 Posts
Hi and welcome from the UK Midlands! :)

There are lots of things that can affect fuel consumption, many of which have already been mentioned above. Without knowing more, and a little history, it's difficult to help much. I'd suggest check tyre pressures, is the car due for a service (and possibly plugs change), what mode is the auto-box set to, and are your journeys all short and around town or longer drives on open roads?

·
*Premium Member
2009 SLK55 AMG
14,666 Posts
Welcome from the Sacramento Valley SLK Enthusiasts!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hi, this the first time I have ever been on a car forum, but wondered if anyone knows why my SLK has only done 120 miles per half a tank this week??! It only does 320 to a full tank at the best of times, but this is bordering on ridiculous. I'm wondering if to because we had a cold spell. Has anyone else experienced this or know what might be wrong?

Thanks for any suggestions....
Well in case she does come back and view her post.....
I have an SLK 200 2008 1.8 sport package and i have just completed a round trip to coventry and back from surrey and car was returning around 37mpg with transmission in comfort mode and travelling at speeds 65 to 75mph.

I am very pleased with this consumption.
:smile:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.