Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK350
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a search !! 0:)

My SLK presently has Continental Contact tires. It is time for replacement. I am a Michelin guy. Should I stick with the Continentals ?

Another incident/question, I had a flat today, it was a new experience and not a good one. Those who say the flat tire will not fit in the trunk are absolutely correct. This was not fun and I would like to avoid it in the future !! Does anyone drive "run flat" tires on their SLK. That would have been worth the price of admission today.

Still have the experience to look forward to of deflating and getting the spare back into the trunk.

Ed

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,254 Posts
I have Michelins on my rear and Continental DWS on the front

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
28,731 Posts
Mich all round.

But the weather here dictates an all round tyre (no pun intended)
or two sets of wheels.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Did a search !! 0:)

My SLK presently has Continental Contact tires. It is time for replacement. I am a Michelin guy. Should I stick with the Continentals ?

Another incident/question, I had a flat today, it was a new experience and not a good one. Those who say the flat tire will not fit in the trunk are absolutely correct. This was not fun and I would like to avoid it in the future !! Does anyone drive "run flat" tires on their SLK. That would have been worth the price of admission today.

Still have the experience to look forward to of deflating and getting the spare back into the trunk.

Ed
Man if you got money for Michelins, then you should just get you some Continental MOE tires. My wife has them on her GLC and its nice not having to worry about spare tire and all, in fact it doesn't even come with one.:wink:

·
Registered
628 Posts
I've never used run-flat tires.

On the 170, I ran Conti ExtremeContact DW and then Goodyear All Season Sport tires. Both worked very well.
On the 171, I'm now running Conti ExtremeContact DW and still like them a lot.

Michelins are very good, I just haven't tried a set on this car yet.

G

·
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to all. I may be getting somewhere.

Long story, short version. I have a motor home and it was made too heavy in the rear (at the factory), yep, some manufacturers overload their products. I tried numerous tire brands and all would eventually blow out until I bought a Michelin. No problem since and that sold me on the quality side. Of course with an SLK, other factors are important too.

So, the run flat tires are called SSR. Their reviews are not good. They are repeatably said to be loud, rough and with poor tread wear. If so, guess I would be willing to change a tire to get something I liked "everyday". I am "sort of" leaning toward the Michelin. I can't rap my head around handling well enough to put one kind on front and another on back like Banks does.

BUT, what do you do with that flat tire when you are on the interstate ?? :surprise:

Ed

·
Registered
34 Posts
SLKTires

Having recently purchased my first sports car (2002 SLK 320) and it was in need of new tires I purchased the Michelin Pilot Sports A/S 3 and could not be any happier. They have a smooth, quiet ride and handle very well. I will purchase this brand again down the rode. My 2 cents!! Good luck!

·
Registered 2006 SLK350
120 Posts
Michelin

Having recently purchased my first sports car (2002 SLK 320) and it was in need of new tires I purchased the Michelin Pilot Sports A/S 3 and could not be any happier. They have a smooth, quiet ride and handle very well. I will purchase this brand again down the rode. My 2 cents!! Good luck!
I just put four of the same on my SLK350 and so far I like them.

·
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I thought I was getting somewhere using the above information plus internet user reviews. The Michelin run flat tire is labeled ZP for zero pressure. Reviews are good, so I cranked in my car information, only to get a reply "this tire is not available for your car". So, still studying !!

Oh yes, nobody has said how they transport the flat tire. It won't fit in the trunk.

Ed

·
Registered 2005 SLK55 AMG
1,041 Posts
Our problem is some of the best performance tires just do not come in our sizes. I recently replaced tires on my 55 all round and did a lot of research beforehand. My main priorities in order are, wet grip, feedback, dry grip with longevity taking a back seat. I'm an enthusiastic driver and despite what I threw at them, the original Pirelli Rosso's lasted darn nearly 30k but they were hopeless in the wet and pretty poor in the dry i.e. rear wheel spin on anything less than bone dry tarmac even at 60mph on acceleration and noisy! The Continental 5P (must be P) seem to have a very good reputation as do the new Contisport 6 but as I said, not available in our size. I settled on Mich Pilot Super Sport which so far have proved to be a transformation. No more ESP kicking in at junction exits in the wet, predictable grip and quieter. The PSS also have what they call FSL which is a very generous rim protection and they look very nice too. I believe Pirelli do their Corsa's in our size and I'm sure they're pretty good but you'll have to double your money! Pirelli say very little about the compound or comparison between their range whereas Michelin shout about all sorts of clever stuff on the PSS. I know some countries/States have summer and winter tires but in the UK we seem to get away with summer versions all year round. I guess a lot depends on your style of driving but in my book performance and safety come first. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have just put Continental Contact Sports 5 MO XL on the front with a noise level of C middle of the tyre label scale..However I do have the Contact Sport 5 SSR run flats on my BMW they are the highest noise level A with extra sound insulation on the BM it's not really noticeable.Here in the UK the run flat Mercedes version is a MOE tyre but the noise level is also the highest on the tyre label A and the noise in the SLK would be even more noticeable.
Asking for tyre advice just by the nature of them is very subjective whats is persons tyre of choice would be completely avoided at all costs by others.If your happy with the Contis then just fit them again.

·
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The car rides quite rough with the Continentals. I am not sure what others experience with other kinds of tires. So, I don't know if my experience is the nature of the car or if different tires would be better.

Ed

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,254 Posts
could also be the tire pressure you put in
what are you running? 32 cold front, 35 cold rear per the door plate?

·
Registered 2013 SLK250
278 Posts
I am running the Michelin Pilot Super Sport. Quiet with a nice ride. Top rated tire.
Michelin*Pilot Super Sport

Michelin Pilot Super Sport (Max Performance Summer): The Pilot Super Sport is Michelin's Max Performance Summer tire initially introduced as Original Equipment on several of the world's most sophisticated performance vehicles, including the exclusive, limited-edition Ferrari 599 GTO, Ferrari's fastest road car ever. Developed for drivers who care about how tire technology enhances their vehicle's performance and safety, Pilot Super Sport tires expand the Max Performance Summer tire performance envelope by delivering durability, handling and traction while increasing tread life.

As for flats I carry a plug kit for plugging the hole. In most cases it's a quick fix on the side of the road and you are on your way. As long as you don't cut the sidewall.

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
Another vote for Michelin Pilot SuperSports. They are quieter, perform better and has good wear characteristics than the others I've had experience with.

I have had so far 3 sets of Michelin Pilot SuperSports on all four corners.

An automotive engineer told me that the tires/tyres are the only parts of the vehicle that are in contact with the road/pavement and its quality should never be compromised.

·
Registered 2011 SLK300
427 Posts
I have the cntinentals on my car and love them. They are super sticky on dry as well as wet pavement. They are also super quiet wet or dry. Go for the continentals--- you won't regret it! You do need to keep the ESP on in the wet though. This car is too much for any tire without it>:D

PS My tires are the DW Extreme contact.

·
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Since I have Continentals and have not been happy with the ride, decided to go with the Michelin Pilot Super Sport. After I placed my order, there was an XL (I think) at the end of the numbers, not sure what that means. Price was quite good since I ordered on Cyber Monday.......about $570 with shipping after all discounts. It will be another $80 to install. They also included a $25 or so option in the form of road hazard insurance.

I'll report in 6 months or so to give my opinion.

Ed

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.