• >6

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK350
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This week as a friend and I went to lunch in the SLK and he got to drive it back to the office he remarked out loud how is it I don't get ticketed regularly bcos the car darn near wants to go fast and its intoxicating to drive it fast, so how have I avoided tickets so far....

Well, it got me thinking about us SLK owners and traffic infractions (ehm: speeding tickets) and wanting to find out how you'all are doing out there with avoiding traffic tickets.

Found an old thread on this, but it was fairly generic in terms of lifetime traffic tickets. This thread is specific solely to your ownership of the SLK and how many tickets you have received, so far.... Don't be shy, we won't use it against you... :grin:

Now as the OP, I should fess up... In the 3 years I owned my '05 55 (2012 to 2015), I received 4 speeding tickets, at an average cost ~$250. One was doing a 92 in a 75 (traffic cop), another was speeding up to 85 in a 65 (while passing a truck - motorcycle traffic cop), another was for doing 90 in a 75 (traffic cop), and the last one was for doing a 55 in a 40 zone (camera hidden in a roadside cactus plant)....

In the 2+ years owing the '13 350, ZERO ticket, although stopped for speeding but given a warning... >:D

So how about you, guys and ladies?

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
95,102 Posts

Attachments

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
26,240 Posts
None, but got lucky with camera a couple of times on Mway overhead things.
Built up areas I do not speed in 55.

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
12,519 Posts
None--close but I lucked out. Famous last words? :wink:

Not going to post my top speed but it was "invigorating" :tu:

·
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So far it appears MOST owners have avoided tickets in their SLKs. Nice.... 12 votes for 0 ticket, and 1 for 3-5 (OP vote). But Jeff fessed up to 2 tickets but didn't vote for these.. how so? calling out Sarge on this....

·
Registered 2016 SLK55 AMG w/P30
653 Posts
Bought my first SLK in June of 08. I think I got two tickets in it IIRC. None for the past 6-7 years so none in my 2nd, but already got one in my 43 on a side road leading to our neighborhood. Sorry local ordinance makers but 35mph is far too slow on a road with nearly zero traffic. I figure local homeowners complained about a little blue mercedes frequently passing them, because cops were speed trapping in for over 2 months then disappeared immediately after my ticket.

So 3 total, cheers JB.

·
Premium Member 2008 SLK55 AMG
366 Posts
None in the SLK so far, but plenty on bikes over the years. Times are changing, now here in the London area there are cameras everywhere, so you need local knowledge and/or a good satnav to avoid "performance awards". Although loud pipes don't get picked up by speed cameras, and there seems a more relaxed attitude to this than in the past.

·
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
None--close but I lucked out. Famous last words? :wink:

Not going to post my top speed but it was "invigorating" :tu:
To rise to an "invigorating" level, it had to be triple digits >:D That's my guess, and I am sticking to it.

·
12,519 Posts
To rise to an "invigorating" level, it had to be triple digits >:D That's my guess, and I am sticking to it.
And the part that was extra special was she was rock solid. Barely knew we were moving :grin:

·
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
And the part that was extra special was she was rock solid. Barely knew we were moving :grin:
I can attest to that. Here is the un-vanished story about one of the tickets I received.

I was doing an all-night road trip from San Diego, CA to Tucson, AZ, empty road, and not a soul within 50+ miles anywhere in sight.... when I saw a flash of light to my left (it was brief and since I was driving too fast anyway, it din't really sink in what it was)... Soon enough, I saw the cop car in my rear mirror with lights flashing. He walked over to carefully inspect me and the car. After making sure I was alone, and hopefully unarmed (not a fleeing car hijacker or something) he asked me politely if I saw the flash of his speed gun as he clocked me going over 100 mph. I replied that uhm, yeah but it was too brief and didn't register what it was, besides I was focused on the road, and and... and .... the car was self-piloting itself >:D He was not amused with my attempt at a joke, but he was a trooper, and was kind-hearted to ticket me at 92 in a 75 zone (less than 20 mph over speed limit) even tho' he clocked me well past 100mph... He told me he didn't want me to lose my license driving the "rocket" (his word, not mine) of a car I had... I thanked him for his "generosity" with the reduced speed on the ticket... In the state of AZ (back then- circa 2013), speeding ticket under 20mph above speed limit was under $300 fine. I gladly paid the fine.

·
Registered 2012 SLK55 AMG
102 Posts
Went for a run around the UK countryside with a friend who has an Aston Martin DBS and neither of us got a ticket. This is probably due to route choice and not driving like idiots when not appropriate.

Interestingly enough, at my speed awareness course some years ago (for doing 35 in a 30) the presenter admitted that the most common attendees were middle-aged women, by quite a large margin. This doesn't mean that men don't speed, I just think that we may be more aware if/when we are and take action to avoid tickets. Note that I am neither condoning nor criticizing either gender's driving ability.

·
Registered 2015 SLK200
55 Posts

Never had one yet in either SLK but I did get invited to a speed awareness course for doing 79 on an empty motorway in a diesel Jag about 5 years ago. Gutted - 35 years of point free driving in all sorts of sporty little things and I get pulled driving a sensible family barge :crying:

·
Registered 2005 SLK55 AMG & 2006 Kleemann 55K S8
911 Posts
No tickets here yet either, but it is just a matter of time. I normally drive about 10-15 over (that is the normal speed in Florida, people driving on the fast end of normal are at 20 over). Top speed so far is 155mph and it felt very solid, especially for such a short wheelbase car. I would definitely feel safe going faster.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Nope no tickets yet, but that does not mean I don't drive fast.
I did get stopped one night about 2 AM for a headlight out.
I had left a club in the city and someone said you have a headlight out.
I thought Great, 2 AM on a Saturday night and all the cops for the next 50 miles home will be out looking for dunks and here I am with a headlight out. No I wasn't drunk.
I'd had a couple glasses of wine with dinner about 5 hours before.
Anyway, going through the last podunk town between me and home,
I got stopped.
He walked up and asked "Do you know why I stopped you?"
I said "Yes, because I have a headlight out."
He said " I just wanted to let you know."
then he stepped back and said "Nice Car." and we spend the next 20 minutes talking about the car.
Then I said "Watch this," and pushed the button to put the top down.
As soon as the trunk started to lift and the top started up, he blurted out "No S**T?"
Which brought us back to another 20 minutes of talking about the car.
As he was leaving and half way back to his car he yelled out "Nice Car."

·
Premium Member 2018 SLC43
2,497 Posts
None so far.... (Touch Wood... :|)
Hence why with all the regular speed camera's, plus more average speed camera's popping up, I've installed My TomTom 5200 in My R172:

Attachments

·
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nope no tickets yet, but that does not mean I don't drive fast.
I did get stopped one night about 2 AM for a headlight out.
I had left a club in the city and someone said you have a headlight out.
I thought Great, 2 AM on a Saturday night and all the cops for the next 50 miles home will be out looking for dunks and here I am with a headlight out. No I wasn't drunk.
I'd had a couple glasses of wine with dinner about 5 hours before.
Anyway, going through the last podunk town between me and home,
I got stopped.
He walked up and asked "Do you know why I stopped you?"
I said "Yes, because I have a headlight out."
He said " I just wanted to let you know."
then he stepped back and said "Nice Car." and we spend the next 20 minutes talking about the car.
Then I said "Watch this," and pushed the button to put the top down.
As soon as the trunk started to lift and the top started up, he blurted out "No S**T?"
Which brought us back to another 20 minutes of talking about the car.
As he was leaving and half way back to his car he yelled out "Nice Car."
Nice story, @Dana.... Yesterday I stopped by an ATM and parked the car top-down, as usual... as I walked back to the car I saw a Patrol Cop slowly driving up to the car, and by the time I got to my car he had driven past it, but then stopped and quickly reversed to chat... He was like, "wow! what a nice car! What year is it?" I said 2013. He said, "well it sure doesn't look like a 6 year old". I said thanks... he whistled out loud, and said he'd love to own one some day. I told him if he has time, he can step out of his patrol car and come go for a ride with me... He shook his head, and said he wish he could.. but work takes priority. I told him maybe next time, eh?. He said... that's a promise. And he drove off. I was hoping to secure a permanent immunity from any future traffic ticket in my name if he ever comes for a ride with me.. >:D A guy can dream, right...

·
12,519 Posts
I was hoping to secure a permanent immunity from any future traffic ticket in my name if he ever comes for a ride with me.. >:D A guy can dream, right...
You should have done two things Omo:

1) asked for his card (AFAIK, they all have them) and

2) given him an SLKWorld card.

THAT would have been your "get out of jail free" card.

Tsk Tsk :wink:

·
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You should have done two things Omo:

1) asked for his card (AFAIK, they all have them) and

2) given him an SLKWorld card.

THAT would have been your "get out of jail free" card.

Tsk Tsk :wink:
Thanks Len. Live and learn.... Say, how do I get any of these SLKWorld cards? I do have a SLKWorld sticker tho', does that count?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts