Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered 1998 SLK230K
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Does anyone know of a good tyre inflator for the inflatable spare wheel of the SLK? Is there one specifically made for the SLK or will any do? My colleague has a Smart Fortwo Cabrio which is made by Mercedes and he was suggesting tyre inflator for that car could be used for an SLK.

I've never had a flat tyre but considering getting a tyre inflator just in case. If I get a flat, having to wait for the RAC for however long it may take them to get to me is not the best option compared to changing wheel myself and inflating it.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,426 Posts
don't you have one in your boot?

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,426 Posts

·
Premium Member 2001 SLK200K/2001 SLK320
2,114 Posts
don't you have one in your boot?
Wow! the boss is turning Brit :D

The one in the boot (lol) namely the blue efforts that came with the cars are notorious for blowing the lighter fuses when you switch them off, so it may well have been thrown away ..
@slkclub can you not just borrow the Smart inflator pump to see how it goes? Failing that, there are 100's of aftermarket electric pumps on the 'Bay :nerd:

·
Registered 1998 SLK230K
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks everyone for your replies.

And no, I don't think I have one in boot. I've never had to deal with a flat myself so have not come across it. I did not know the SLK comes with one in the boot. It's just the spare wheel is by itself. I have always just had anything to do with my tyres done in a garage or RAC comes out to fix tyre. I will go have a look :)

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK250
2,444 Posts
Buying a used car you can count on several things that will be missing. They only come with one key as previous owners have lost one, the pump for the spare tire is missing, and manuals will be missing.

MB pump will cost in the hundreds, buy a pump off eBay or Amazon for half the amount.

·
Registered 2001 SLK320
892 Posts
Thanks everyone for your replies.

And no, I don't think I have one in boot. I've never had to deal with a flat myself so have not come across it. I did not know the SLK comes with one in the boot. It's just the spare wheel is by itself. I have always just had anything to do with my tyres done in a garage or RAC comes out to fix tyre. I will go have a look :)

For years I have had a small compressor about the size of 2 small soup cans taped together end to end that plugs into the cigarette lighter socket. I use it to reset tire pressures when I check them. You can buy them for about $25 and they last forever.

The OEM one usually is in the centre of the spare wheel under the floor. Page 196 owner's manual

·
Premium Member 2002 R170 SLK V8 5.0
3,217 Posts
Buying a used car you can count on several things that will be missing. They only come with one key as previous owners have lost one, the pump for the spare tire is missing, and manuals will be missing.

MB pump will cost in the hundreds, buy a pump off eBay or Amazon for half the amount.
Oh Yes !! :(

And then ...................

A week later you can buy the Spare Key, Pump, Books / Manuals, Wheel brace, Tool Kit, Wind Deflector etc off EBay from the same lying tight fisted [email protected] that you bought the Car off >:D

Always use anything that is missing as a bargaining point for a haggle, you'd be surprised how quickly they can suddenly find the Key etc ...................

I've seen it, as I've bought a fair few Cars off EBay at times, I actually drove back to one guys house for a DAS 3 key once as he was only in Inverness, should have seen the look on his face when I rocked up and said "I'm glad to see you found the Key for me" !! :grin:

Tip, save the PO / Seller in your "Favourite Sellers" ............. By and large it is safe to assume that a lot of privates selling cars are liars !!

Cheers Dave

·
Registered 1999 SLK230
98 Posts

Damn...I got lucky. My basket case came with both master keys, the flat master, the valet key, and all the manuals. Oh and I still have the blue pump in the "boot" :grin:.

·
Premium Member 2001 SLK200K/2001 SLK320
2,114 Posts
Damn...I got lucky. My basket case came with both master keys, the flat master, the valet key, and all the manuals. Oh and I still have the blue pump in the "boot" :grin:.

WOW! Congrats :surprise: :grin:

Tip:
IF you ever use the blue pump and you find that it blows the cigarette lighter fuse when you switch it off (mine has done that ever since I got it nearly 15yrs ago)
Put the switch on the pump to the 'on' position (1) before you do anything else with it and leave it like that. Hook it up to the lighter socket and then use the key to turn the ignition to and from the accessory position to turn the pump on and off and it won't blow the fuse.

·
Registered 1997 SLK230
20 Posts
I was surprised to find the little compressor in the back of my SLK when I bought it. After all, things go missing in 21 years! Most other bits were there but not the first aid kit. No spare keys either. I'd bet the vendor actually has them but has no clue how to find them. As he had been through a divorce (the car was his wife's but she didn't like it, kept the mileage low!) and moved into an industrial building, I can understand that. He is a good friend of a good friend and clearly not a crook. I don't think most vendors are nasty. More lazy around this part of the world, I think.

Anyway, back to the original question - a tyre inflator has a simple job to do and nearly anything would work but a quick hunt around should find something small and of decent quality. For me, just the fact it's an original MB thing is appealing enough that I would try to track one down, even second hand. It's not something that gets used very often in the life of the vehicle, so few would be worn out!

·
Premium Member 2008 SLK200
385 Posts
Hi All,

Does anyone know of a good tyre inflator for the inflatable spare wheel of the SLK? Is there one specifically made for the SLK or will any do? My colleague has a Smart Fortwo Cabrio which is made by Mercedes and he was suggesting tyre inflator for that car could be used for an SLK.

I've never had a flat tyre but considering getting a tyre inflator just in case. If I get a flat, having to wait for the RAC for however long it may take them to get to me is not the best option compared to changing wheel myself and inflating it.

Hi
Good day.

Talking about tyre inflater?

Well, I just got a new one today.

It is battery powered & rechargeable.
Xiaomi Air Pump

My old unit was given to my son.

It need to be plugged in the cigarette socket,
too much of a hassle.

So got this, which is very handy & convenience.
can pump up to 5 tyres on a full charge. I think if spec is correct.

Auto stop when reach preset pressure & other functions.

see pictures. & video

Thank you & have a nice day

Attachments

·
Premium Member 2002 R170 SLK V8 5.0
3,217 Posts
lol

Nothing personal, and only IMHO ..............

I'll not bore you with the reasons that I reckon that is a bad idea, but one of those reasons is mentioned in the post above yours :wink:

Cheers Dave

Reactions: M4rCu5
1 - 16 of 16 Posts