Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased new replacement seat covers on EBay. Received them last week very good quality. We chose the simulated leather MB-2 material.
Ran into two issues :
1. How do you remove the headrest retainers?
2. How do you remove the plastic seat back?
1999 SLK

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG; 2005 SLK350
5,065 Posts
There is a small button on one of the two fittings on the seat back - push that button, then lift the headrest.

You don't remove the seat-back from the seat, you remove the leather from the seat-back. It's much easier with the seat out and on a bench. You pry up around the edge to remove the leather.

I'd love to see some pictures of your replacements.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is a small button on one of the two fittings on the seat back - push that button, then lift the headrest.

You don't remove the seat-back from the seat, you remove the leather from the seat-back. It's much easier with the seat out and on a bench. You pry up around the edge to remove the leather.

I'd love to see some pictures of your replacements.

We know how to remove the head rest itself. We wanted to know how to remove the headrest receptacle. We heard you need to insert a needle of wire to release them. Pictures to follow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG; 2005 SLK350
5,065 Posts
That is correct. This is hard to explain without a picture... there is a "tang" (like on a phone cable) that is part of the plastic piece and which locks the plastic piece in place. Look down the bore and you can see the tang, it's maybe 1/8" wide and maybe 1/2" long, and it has a small hole in the end. It doesn't protrude into the bore, it is on the wall of the bore. Use a straight pick and stick the tip into the small hole, bend the tang inwards (towards the center of the bore), and then give the plastic bit a stout pull up. It takes some coordination to do all three at once, but it is the only way :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Headrest retainers

That is correct. This is hard to explain without a picture... there is a "tang" (like on a phone cable) that is part of the plastic piece and which locks the plastic piece in place. Look down the bore and you can see the tang, it's maybe 1/8" wide and maybe 1/2" long, and it has a small hole in the end. It doesn't protrude into the bore, it is on the wall of the bore. Use a straight pick and stick the tip into the small hole, bend the tang inwards (towards the center of the bore), and then give the plastic bit a stout pull up. It takes some coordination to do all three at once, but it is the only way :)
Found the hole to realese the headrest retainers Thanks for the instructions

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got both seats recovered today.
It was a little tricky but my wife and I we accomplished it. Many thanks for the info on removing the Headrest retainers. Will post installed pictures tomorrow.

·
Registered 1997 SLK230 Kompressor
314 Posts
@Alschief did you reinstall the little black clips round the leather trim when you reassembled? These are the ones that push down into the channel round the back. I can see that they are meant to hold the cover to the back, but the cover is such a tight fit I wondered if they were necessary?

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
13,843 Posts
@Alschief did you reinstall the little black clips round the leather trim when you reassembled? These are the ones that push down into the channel round the back. I can see that they are meant to hold the cover to the back, but the cover is such a tight fit I wondered if they were necessary?
As this is an old thread, he has not been on since Oct 2018 and may not answer.

https://www.slkworld.com/new-members-introduce-yourself-here/233026-posting-old-thread-how-fix.html

·
Registered 1997 SLK230 Kompressor
314 Posts
Well i got around to doing the job. The answer re the retaining clips is that i need to use 2 or 3. The cover locks fairly well into the panelling groove most of the way around. On the curves there were a couple of places where I had to re use the clips. I think the reason that there were so many originally is that the leather would have been very taut when they were first assembled. In fact I found re assembling much easier than stripping it down. Necessary tools are plastic pries, a narrow bladed screwdriver and long nosed pliers for extracting the clips and an F clamp to squeeze the base down on its springs so that the bottom edge of the seat cover can be pulled through.

·
Premium Member 1996 SLK230
111 Posts
Here is a picture of one on the bench

I like your seat covers :grin: and a great job fitting them, they look smart, and will protect the original leather :tu: do you have the link for the supplier please?

Cheers:smile:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.