Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son drove the SLK320 today. When he was parking it in the garage he told me the roof wasn't closing. It was stuck halfway. Anyway i went out and checked and sure enough, the roof was still in the boot and the decklid had only opened. It was completely unresponsive. ]
Anyway, I asked him what he had done. He told me he had pressed the button to close it and then stopped it.
When he tried starting it again it wouldn't go.
I asked him why he had stopped it. It was then that he told me he had wanted to check something in the boot and had reached in while the decklid was open and released the blind.

So there I was the blind was released but the roof and the decklid were preventing me from seeing it or reaching in.

Anyway, I had to finally contort myself and look from above. With great difficulty I reached in and pulled the blind rearward. Thankfully, the roof worked perfectly after that.

Anyway, there is a lesson in there somewhere.

·
Registered 2005 SLK55 AMG
1,584 Posts
What reason was given for monkeying with the mechanism? "check something in the boot" is not clear enough for me, if the mechanism was running, then what ever was in the boot was not impeding the closing or it would not have activated in the first place.

Sounds fishy.

Unless he was just curious to see what would happen if he released the blind halfway through the cycle. It would be quite some time before being given the keys again in my house.

·
Premium Member 2014 SLK55 AMG
1,665 Posts
There are microswitches that sense if the blind is open or closed. Roof won't move if the blind is not in the right position. Replacing it solved the problem.

Tell your lazy git of a son that he could have waited 15 more seconds to check what was in the boot and then ban him from driving it for a month! :) :)

Reactions: snshami

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
28,156 Posts
So glad this turned out to be a daft lad and not serious.

Thankfully he didn't get caught up in the mechanism either.

Definitely the "Phew!" of the week.

·
Premium Member 2001 SLK320/2000 SLK230
2,719 Posts
Can understand why it will not open with the blind retracted, but not why it will not close. Seems like there should be an override. Will add to the stack.

BTW if the blind is not shut in my SLK320, the top light blinks when presssed to say something is wrong. Does a SmartTop ignore ?

ps particularly during the Holidays, there are worse things than having an idiot family.

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
2,330 Posts
Children of all ages (I'm a "Child" after all) have lots of learning moments. I'm sure your son learned something from this incident.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.