Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently had problems with my car's windscreen washer not working. :crying:

The car's out of warranty and I didn't fancy the potential £100s a dealer would charge to investigate and fix. :surprise:

I'm not a mechanic by any means, but how hard could it be? :nerd:
I've documented my diagnostic methods and remedial action in the attached PDF, in the hope that it may help save some other poor soul a bit of cash.

This forum's been very helpful to me over the last couple of years and this is my chance to give something back. Enjoy, you lovely, lovely people 0:)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,384 Posts
Great detail and write up. Glad it didn't take the whole bumper to be removed! Any idea how all the gunk came into your system?

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Judge, I've no idea how it got there, it wasn't ever visible from the engine bay when I was topping the bottle up. I've only ever filled it with water straight from the tap (it's pretty good where I live) and about 20% screen wash.

The stuff seemed organic in its nature, but some of it coated the inside of the bottle so tenaciously that I couldn't have cleaned it properly without removing it from the car. If it was organic I didn't want to leave any remnants of it in there to start multiplying again.

I did a bit of googling and some people suggest that it may be promoted by mixing different brands of screen wash. I don't know if that's a likely explanation, I've only ever used one brand, but it's almost certainly different from what the original owner used, so it could be a possibility.

·
Super Moderator
11,598 Posts
Silly suggestion but maybe try boiling the water before pouring it in the bottle. Let it cool first ;) Just might be harbouring some little nasties that don't bother us when we drink it but let to their own devices, will multiply.

Reason I suggest this as a medical procedure I have to perform on myself (get your mind out of the gutter guys ;) ) requires distilled water (and copious amounts of it).

I boil my water for 4-5 minutes and it kills off any remaining bacteria. I've had no ill effects using boiled water instead of distilled.

It might be worth a try.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Silly suggestion but maybe try boiling the water before pouring it in the bottle. Let it cool first ;) Just might be harbouring some little nasties that don't bother us when we drink it but let to their own devices, will multiply.

Reason I suggest this as a medical procedure I have to perform on myself (get your mind out of the gutter guys ;) ) requires distilled water (and copious amounts of it).

I boil my water for 4-5 minutes and it kills off any remaining bacteria. I've had no ill effects using boiled water instead of distilled.

It might be worth a try.
Great idea, I'll be doing that in future. :smile:

I'd always imagined that the screen wash would include additives to kill of any nasties, but clearly not. :frown:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.