Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK350
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just tried putting wheel locks on my 2012 SLK and found that the lug bolts are only about 1/2 as long as the ones for a R171 SLK. They are also all black. Further, the torque setting is now 96 ft/lb instead of 80 ft/lb that the R171 used.
This concerns me as I was planning on using the 17" AMG wheels from my previous 2009 SLK as winter wheels and tires for my 2012 SLK. Now I think they may not fit the 2012 SLK at all.

Can anybody verify one way or the other that R171 wheels can be mounted on a R172 SLK?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Bolts often come in long and short versions, so that fact alone may not be conclusive. However, bolt diameter is different: 14 mm for R172, 12 for R171, so you may need a new set anyway.
They should be able to mount; boltcircle/pattern and centrebore are the same. ET is typically slightly less for the R171, but I suppose spacers could compensate for this (if at all necessary).

·
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bolts often come in long and short versions, so that fact alone may not be conclusive. However, bolt diameter is different: 14 mm for R172, 12 for R171, so you may need a new set anyway.
They should be able to mount; boltcircle/pattern and centrebore are the same. ET is typically slightly less for the R171, but I suppose spacers could compensate for this (if at all necessary).
Thanks for the info, where did you get the dimensions from?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Thanks for the info, where did you get the dimensions from?
From some wheel-dealer web-pages (ET is also in the official R172 pricelist). Plus that I just happen to know that the 14x1.50B bolts on R172 are the same as for my W204. Centerbore and boltcircle/pattern are virtually always the same.

·
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just got the correct wheel locks for my 2012 SLK 350 and installed them.
The part number is 6-6-47-0155 and they are $71.25 (before shipping) from http://www.trademotion.com/splash/index.cfm?siteid=214660.
They are a flat silver color and not black as the other wheel bolts are on the R172. However, that was easliy fixed with a magic marker. :)

Here's the bad part:
Before I installed the new locking lug bolts on the 2012 SLK 350 (R172), I tried the lug bolts on the 17" AMG wheels that I had used on my previous 2009 SLK 350. The new R172 lug bolts whould not fit the R171 wheels, the wheel holes are too small for the now wider and shorter lug bolts, bummer. :td:
So I guess I'll be selling my set of AMG 17" wheels, tires and TPM sensors.

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
I just got the correct wheel locks for my 2012 SLK 350 and installed them.
The part number is 6-6-47-0155 and they are $71.25 (before shipping) from http://www.trademotion.com/splash/index.cfm?siteid=214660.
They are a flat silver color and not black as the other wheel bolts are on the R172. However, that was easliy fixed with a magic marker. :)

Here's the bad part:
Before I installed the new locking lug bolts on the 2012 SLK 350 (R172), I tried the lug bolts on the 17" AMG wheels that I had used on my previous 2009 SLK 350. The new R172 lug bolts whould not fit the R171 wheels, the wheel holes are too small for the now wider and shorter lug bolts, bummer. :td:
So I guess I'll be selling my set of AMG 17" wheels, tires and TPM sensors.

Whiterabbit - I suspect that if you get a set of shorter 14mm bolts with the correct conical diameter heads you would be ok. Unless you are saying that the diameter of the R171 wheel holes is too small for the diameter of the threaded part of the R172 bolt?

If you do end up having to get new winter wheels, you should have a pretty wide selection from the W204 community.

·
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Whiterabbit - I suspect that if you get a set of shorter 14mm bolts with the correct conical diameter heads you would be ok. Unless you are saying that the diameter of the R171 wheel holes is too small for the diameter of the threaded part of the R172 bolt?

If you do end up having to get new winter wheels, you should have a pretty wide selection from the W204 community.
Yes, the diameter of the R171 wheel holes is too small for the diameter of the threaded part of the R172 bolt.
What I'll probably do is just get a new set of all-season performance tires for the car rather than have to swap out wheels twice a year.

·
Don - Founding Member #4
5,857 Posts
:confused:Chances are you could get them drilled and inserted (changes the bolt pattern), and maybe use spacer to make them work. I did the same with a set of Cadillac XLR wheels that I purchased for my wife's 2003 Cadillac CTS. It was a $3000 plus expensive challenge that I made work. Self satisfaction, and the wheels looked great. In retrospect, it wasn't worth the expense and effort. Plenty of aftermarket wheels available that will fit because they're made to fit.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Sorry to bump such an old thread, but I couldn't get your link to work WR. I was trying to see if you ever found out exactly what length the R172's wheel bolts are, or if you just saw they were bigger and left it at that.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
SLK172 have different sizes dependent on wheel type.

For yours, assuming you have the AMG 18" wheels, the lug bolts are M14.1.5, 27mm shank with R14 conical retainer. The length [over 27mm] is not as critical as the 171 as there is no handbrake mechanism to clear.

·
Registered 2001 SLK320
874 Posts
Lower ETs do not need spacers although if the ET gets too low e.g. 42 to 30, the outer edge of the wheel is going to be well past the norm. In a 12 mm lower ET the outer edge will be 12 mm further out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts