Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,591 Posts
other than the mesh screen inserts from the oem $800 windblocker?

·
aka Denny
196 Posts
I use the OEM windscreen. I believe I paid a bit under $500. Expensive for what it is, but it looks better than cardboard and tape.

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
I think the new "large" wind-restrictor one does the same, but I've not seen one first hand, only the first generation ones that did not. I also don't see this as "available" on their website, so maybe it never made it to market.

I use the OEM, and it satisfies me in looks and functionality. I think I'd give the Wind Restrictor a shot if I didn't have one..

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
I didn't think Windrestrictor had one for inside the roll bars? Does anyone have the MB part # for the OEM ones?
The OEMs are pricey, Joe has one. Ken, this is another store/group buy possibility if you can pull it off.

·
Registered
15 Posts
windrestricter

Just installed a windrestricter on my 350 slk. Drove it to Big Bear with top down to test it out. Somewhat dissapointed. Cold air rifles thru the roll hoops hitting the back of my neck. With no air scarf I have to sport a real scarf even when teperatures are in the high 50's. In my Bmw Z3 the plexiglass windblocker extends from roll hoop to roll hoop, solving the problem of cold air draft from the rear. Someone needs to design and sell a roll hoop block even its a rubber condom!

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I can get the A1718600174 and the A1718600274. I don't have pictures so I'm not sure what these look like or how they fit. We can get a discount on a group buy. The retail on the '174' is $886.50 for the pair and the '274' is $261.00 for the pair. Based on participation, I think we can get as much as $150 - $200 off the '174' part number.

·
Thread Hijacker
2,798 Posts
From that price, I'm guessing the the 274 is the mesh cloth screen. I think that's the one included with the cars, and is strung between the roll bars like a tennis net. I actually use mine (I know, it's ugly, don't start...), and it works really well. I was waiting until I decided which one I wanted to replace it, and as it is so functional, I've stuck with it...

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,591 Posts
easty's post #7 has a pic

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Is Easty's post the net or the plexiglass? And, we are talking about the same item, a piece that goes inside the rollbars, not between them?

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
Easty's picture is of the "174", which is the two mesh inserts into the roll bars and the plexiglass that goes in between.

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
Nah, not that I'm aware of - the MB "plexiglass" one still has mesh inside the bars.. Ping the wind-restrictor folks, I was almost positive they were releasing a "full" plexiglass one...

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the picture. I spoke with our site sponsor Windrestrictor and they don't have this product. I wonder if there is a market for something like a plexiglass piece that go inside the rollbar to block the wind?

·
aka Denny
196 Posts
I think the OEM method with the mesh inside the roll bars works fine. It isn't a spot that needs to be seen through. It seems to me a case of "if it isn't broke don't fix it."

Now if someone else offers a solution that is cheaper than what MB charges, there's an opportunity.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.