Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi again to you all.
Can someone enlighten me as to where the radio end of the aerial jack might be hiding so that I don't get into any trouble (electrically) by disturbing wires and multi-block connectors.

The car that I collected has a Sony XR-M510 radio that does not appear to have an areal socket in the back albeit there is a very short length of bared wire but not a coax cable.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,192 Posts
you collected a car? an slk? then why have you not updated your vehicle profile?

Vehicle: Still looking and have been on so many wild goose chases it is becoming wary.

·
94,192 Posts
pre facelift have the antenna usually in the rear bumper

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi JB. I have not updated my anything as yet simply because the car was only collected on the afternoon of the 7th May.
I have only just taken some images this afternoon and it/they will be posted hopefully sometime tomorrow - 13th May.

·
94,192 Posts
Hi JB. I have not updated my anything as yet simply because the car was only collected on the afternoon of the 7th May.
I have only just taken some images this afternoon and it/they will be posted hopefully sometime tomorrow - 13th May.
Great! but that is a week ago, no? :D
updating 'vehicle' takes 30 seconds

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if you update your profile, with model n year, we can answer

pre facelift have the antenna usually in the rear bumper
Hi again JB. The car that I have purchased is a face-lift model registered on the 16th January 2004 according to the V5c Document of which I have a photocopy and it has the side repeaters at the outer edges of the door mirrors as well as a boot lid with the opening handle/latch in the centre above the registration plate.

The MoT History shows the car as being registered 1st September 2003 !! ??

I will be talking to DVLA in the morning about this apparent error.

·
Registered 2002 SLK320
1,742 Posts
Hi,

Mine is an 02 Facelift V6, Radio Aerial is in Rear Bumper and has an Antenna Amplifier in the Left Rear Trunk behind the Panel where the OE First Aid Kit is ;)

HTH,

Cheers Dave

·
Registered 2002 SLK320
1,742 Posts
Left Rear Fender is the Factory Pre Wired Telephone Antenna !!

Not all Cars have that

·
Super Moderator UK 2002 SLK320 Blue
2,759 Posts
I think the OP means behind the dash, rather than under the bumper/fender.

@ARoosterinaRoadster You should be looking behind the radio and down. The cable is black (on mine) and comes up with the rest of the loom with a silver plug on the end. You may need an adapter to suit the Sony but you'll probably be fine with it.

I found this on the Interweb that shows the ANT connector is the cable that comes out top right of your rear panel (There are SO MANY different XRM510 variants! Who knew?? :surprise: )

If it is that bare-ended wire then you'll need to think about repairing that before going further. Can you post a picture of the rear panel of the radio?

It may be quicker to try and remove the centre console to find the car's aerial connector. It's easier than it sounds, once you get the drinks holder / coin tray out from the top. Then you can actually see what you're doing.

·
Premium Member 2001 SLK200K, 2001 SLK320
1,491 Posts

You should be looking behind the radio and down. The cable is black (on mine) and comes up with the rest of the loom with a silver plug on the end. You may need an adapter to suit the Sony but you'll probably be fine with it.

I found this on the Interweb that shows the ANT connector is the cable that comes out top right of your rear panel (There are SO MANY different XRM510 variants! Who knew?? :surprise: )

It may be quicker to try and remove the centre console to find the car's aerial connector. It's easier than it sounds, once you get the drinks holder / coin tray out from the top. Then you can actually see what you're doing.

That's the way I read it as well and if Rooster's really lucky it'll have the adaptor on the end of the coax which in itself can't be far away, just a case of poking about looking for it.

Attachments

·
Registered 2002 SLK320
1,742 Posts
Hi,

Ahem, Ahem, Cough, Cough lol

I think it may be my fault that we went off at a tangent (post #7 ) :laugh:

I read the title and not the thread :frown:

Quote:- SLK R170 Where is the radio aerial ?

Apologies for heading this off on said tangent :wink:

If I were trying to locate the CoAx, it is very quick and easy to remove the Heater Footwell Outlet Panels each side and then shine a torch in so you will be able to see the Cable on the top of the Trans Tunnel, like you guys, I suspect it has dropped down out of sight ;)

Hopefully that may redeem my FUBAR :grin:

Cheers, Dave

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

@ARoosterinaRoadster You should be looking behind the radio and down. The cable is black (on mine) and comes up with the rest of the loom with a silver plug on the end. You may need an adapter to suit the Sony but you'll probably be fine with it.

If it is that bare-ended wire then you'll need to think about repairing that before going further. Can you post a picture of the rear panel of the radio?

Hi savcom. Thank you but the Sony is a crap unit and destined for the bin. I have been looking for an original MB radio with little or no luck at present.
I however have a plan 'B' in the shape of single din Kenwood KRC-159R that has very little use indeed.
This is being fitted on the 28th May at Formby Automobile Radio.

With wonky hips and a total left left knee replacement and the other one fast failing I find it very difficult to maul about in confined spaces under a dashboard.

·
Super Moderator UK 2002 SLK320 Blue
2,759 Posts
I have been looking for an original MB radio with little or no luck at present.
You may be able to pick up a unit on eBay - or post a 'wanted' ad in the Trader section of the forum? Just make sure whatever you buy comes with the unlock code!

I however have a plan 'B' in the shape of single din Kenwood KRC-159R that has very little use indeed.
This is being fitted on the 28th May at Formby Automobile Radio.
If that's the case, you might offer them @Dave2302's note about the heater panels (they each come off with one screw and allow the fitter at least a look into the area behind the console).

Good luck!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi again all and thank you for your mixed contributions.
Having looked on E'bay and seen the state of some of the offerings and the asking prices
I am going ahead with having an otherwise perfectly good single din (Face-off) Kenwood KRC-159R radio fitted at Formby Car Electrical Services on the 28th of May.

The radio was bought brand new by me some years ago so I do know that it is not damaged in any way and the manual is present.

·
Registered 2007 SLK200
30 Posts
Hi
How did u get on have your radio fitted at formby car electrical?
“PIL” live in formby, so might consider them to upgrade by unit.
Which unit did u chose to upgrade to,

Cheers

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi ck. I bought 2004 R170 SLK 230 Automatic that had a cheap naff Sony unit in it that wouldn't/couldn't retain a setting so I went over (18 miles) and had a perfectly good radio of my own fitted - a Kenwood KRC-159R.

I had had a Kenwood DPX-5100BT supplied new and fitted into my 2001 BMW series 3 330i Touring Automatic earlier in the year;since removed and a BMW Business Radio fitted in by my BMW Independent in Preston.

That radio is listed on E'bay complete with all of the extras for the BMW.- Kenwood DPX-5100BT radio (with extras for BMW E46 330i | eBay

It is indistinguishable from new.

I would well and truly recommend them albeit I had the BMW Business Radio fitted whilst the car was in having service work carried out.

·
Registered 2007 SLK200
30 Posts
Thanks
I will pop in and see them next time is in the area.
Just needed to decide on the best upgrade option
Perhaps will go with an apple play option.

How were they priced for the fitting?

Cheers

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks
I will pop in and see them next time is in the area.
Just needed to decide on the best upgrade option
Perhaps will go with an apple play option.

How were they priced for the fitting?

Cheers
Hi again ck. In truth I don't recall but as I recall it was in the workshop for about an hour albeit I have mislaid the receipt.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts