Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here I am, a couple days from getting my '03, and heading off in a road trip from San Diego to Dallas...:bike:

I need a GPS, and I figure I might as well get the in dash type, but I cant seem to find the ones that pop out... just the big ones for the R171 I think..

I keep running into 1DIM or 2DIM things, but I tried to look up info on them but Im still packing and I cant seem to find anything that will make this searching faster..:Banane37:

Im trying to see if anyone has one, and has a good experience and Ill get the same one, so I know it works, I cant trust these dealer guys.

I just want something that will work, but also give me a nicer radio instead of stock-ness monster, so I can take this drive calmly. R)

·
Premium Member
3,548 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes I saw it, the only thing is, its sold out...:(

But I saw a bunch on ebay with good sellers:burnout:, but Im worried about how low the scree comes down, one of them said 100mm:confused:, so I think Im going to have to wait until I get to Texas.:td: and get one installed by a pro, or someone that has actually done it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
After researching, I just ended up using a portable Nuvi and/or my iPhone. I also still carry a road atlas with me in every car. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
22 Posts
I just saw your post. I've been through two solutions for navigation in my SLK320. I tried a SoundStream VIR-4344NRB (single DIN, non-movable 3-inch diagonal screen) with NaviBox-1 upgrade.

The screen was simply too small to conveniently see from the driver's seat, the volume control on the touch surface was too fiddly, and the screen brightness was too dim for sunlight and only adjustable using the remote control.

I replaced it with a Farenheit TID-897NRB (yes, oddly spelled without the 'h') that has a 7-inch diagonal hideaway screen. This is much better; although I don't like the blockage of the center vents when using the screen, it's nice that most of the time it can stay docked. I can play the radio, and the SD card with full control using the front panel buttons without deploying the screen.

The NaviBox-1 is quick and usable, but in both cases the voice prompts don't work right. I can easily live without them, so it's not a big deal. There is lots of function in the TID. The bluetooth connectivity works fine for stereo audio link to my Android phone. I haven't tried playing a DVD or CD in it but I imagine that it's good. I found the phone function to be workable but less than elegant. Buying a backup camera for an SLK seems like overkill, so I haven't considered using that capability.

I hope this helps somebody with their product selection.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts