Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi fellow members!
You all know that those who own R170's have an awful interior peeling problem. After some searching I decided to go with this suggestion:
http://www.slkworld.com/slk-r170-class-diy/25069-diy-interior-paint-peeling-r170.html

The issue I have is what color to choose... Currently, I have this gray peeling color. The car color is Black. At first, I just wanted to go with pure black like "Ford Charcoal Black" on this diagram http://www.bryndana.com/cchart.html
But now I'm debating between something calm and coffeish, whiteish.
I like how Bradley's interior looks. It's creamy white I guess...
Any suggestions!?:tu:

·
Registered
579 Posts
I'd leave it black because your armrest and the door panels are vinyl/leather. You can't really paint that material and have it last unless you use a bonding agent with a spray booth. I had my local SEM dealer mix up paint and match it to the door panel. It's actually not gray gray, it's more of a warm gray. In the book it's called Oyster. There is Charcoal, blue, salsa, red, yellow, and beige interiors. My interior is almost the identical color to the factory. Personally I would leave yours original. :tu:

·
Registered
393 Posts
I'd go with red interior with a black exterior :tu:
I actually like your grey under black interior leapy, (in the blue car on the photo you use) though I might go with a shade or two darker on the light color. (I would call it maybe a titanium grey. My 2001 is currently stock red exterior, charcoal interior.)

:tu::tu:

I would want to do that for the door and seat inserts as well as some floor mats, and then try to match across the dash and console surfaces to that color. I could find a dark looking "marbled" (grey/black swirl) formica type material for the center control console surfaces, cut it to shape . . .

The trouble is getting the flow of color to match across all the tid bits in the car . . . (I could do it, but to do a really good custom leather seat cover would go for almost $1k per, a more OEM gear knob could be $3-500. and then if the color doesn't want to stick to the underlying material on the odd bits you have to paint or dye . . . it could look pretty bad in short order. :-( Sort of rough to spend $10k customizing the interior of a car only worth $10k at the start.

A possible way to do the door trim panel inserts would be to get with a friend who wanted the opposite color combination and then buy two sets of panels, one each color, (say one red and one charcoal) and then swap the inserts, handles, etc. . . . Everything would be "stock" then. I can't find a lighter grey unfortunately. (I would entertain red inserts - Though I wouldn't want to extend the red onto the dash. :-( I do need to replace my drivers side panel (about $700 new - previous owner abused the arm rest mounting) so I might try a few things with my old panel if I do that . . .

>> Added color swatch - I might try this on my current door panel (which is about to have the insert fall off) with some paint from Colorbond. <<

Attachments

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jayson...what's your exterior colour? and the seats? I recently saw a 170 with a dark brown almost black exterior...that might be along the line of your coffee idea.
My exterior color is black. The interior is black with grayish hint. Dark brown seems like a good idea =)

Here, one member posted it recently
http://www.slkworld.com/general-modifications-r170/33579-new-interior-color.html

This is exactly what I want! Yes, I do agree that white colors like scuff marks, etc. but it looks really nice!

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
I personally like two tone interiors.

Its the only thing i would change on my SLK if i could have a choice.

Saying that, cost versus value considerations i would go with best price of a good job as it will still look awesome when finished

Cobra

·
Registered
579 Posts
My exterior color is black. The interior is black with grayish hint. Dark brown seems like a good idea =)

Here, one member posted it recently
http://www.slkworld.com/general-modifications-r170/33579-new-interior-color.html

This is exactly what I want! Yes, I do agree that white colors like scuff marks, etc. but it looks really nice!
That looks good, that color has more cream in it than mine, they changed to that color when they did the facelift! One thing I noticed is there is no wood grain in the door handles....either they switched from tuned aluminum to wood grain or they switched out their handles! I think they switched to wood grain...Wouldn't the steering wheel have wood grain too from factory than? Hmm... Looks classy, i would've kept the turned aluminum for the race look!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.