Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member 2004 SLK200K
10,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there . I`ve asked to post some photos of the illuminated sills I made for my r170 ,so here goes a quick tutorial.
Tools needed : Dremmel type drill with cutting discs and small file/grinder, soldering iron .
First remove the sills and cut out the rear where the "SLK" logo is about 1cm bigger all round .Picture º1
Carefully cut out the "SLK" letters from front and rear .Pictures º2,4&5.
Clean up the edges with a grinding tip, it`s not laser cit , but it`s good enough!Picture º6&7.
Cut a piece of white plastic to size an fit it in the slot previously cut out.
Fix two led strips of the colour of your choice along the top and bottom of the white plastic.Cover all over with "Duck Tape".Picture º8.
Connect each sill to 12v+ and the negative to the interior door light switch.
Enjoy.

Attachments

·
10,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi there , I don't think you'll be disappointed ! Any doubts , don't hesitate to ask .Good luck ....

·
10,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you didn't get a spare button , let me know , I've got some spare sills in the garage !

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I'm now preparing these for both the R170 & R171 , cut by laser and with EL lighting in various colours !
Here's some pics of the models I've done so far :
WOW! That looks very neat and awesome!! Where did you get the laser cutter from? =) Are you willing to do ours? If so, how much would you charge?!
I know that kingpennindustries who sell Windrestrictor will have illuminated door sills for our SLKs but it's been over a year and it still says "soon"... =(

·
10,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry for the delay in response , but I've been away for a few days !
The sills are cut in by a company about 20kms from where I live .
Of course I am willing to provide these for anyone who is interested , but I feel this isn't the place to post details/prices etc.
Anyone interested please contact me by MP or to [email protected] for details .

·
Registered
579 Posts
Okay, I just bought some r170 slk door sills from the facelift model. My 1998 is just plain, it does not say "SLK" on it. I plan on switching them out and making it illuminated. I am very crafty and talented. Do you recommend that i take the stainless off and then work with it, or do i just leave it in and work with it?

What did you use for the back drop and where do i get it?

Does it sit flush when installed?

Any other tips....? I may use fiber optics for this...

·
10,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
When I did my first SLK ones I did it without taking the plates off as you can see up top , but that was partly because the illumination I used then ( plastic and leds ) was a lot thicker and I needed the depth of the cut out plastic on the rear to put the lighting into . Now with the EL tape , the rear cut out isn't necessary so the best way would be to remove the metal pkate from the plastic , careful though , it tends to curve a lot when removed as it's quite thin . Theres's a channel in the plastic base that accomadates the EL tape and the end result should sit flush , although as you're going to leave the rubber grommets , it is tight to get the tape with its wiring in there .
If by chance you should screw up your plates , I could always send you a new set jeje, you could even put "Bradley" on them ..

·
Registered
579 Posts
When I did my first SLK ones I did it without taking the plates off as you can see up top , but that was partly because the illumination I used then ( plastic and leds ) was a lot thicker and I needed the depth of the cut out plastic on the rear to put the lighting into . Now with the EL tape , the rear cut out isn't necessary so the best way would be to remove the metal pkate from the plastic , careful though , it tends to curve a lot when removed as it's quite thin . Theres's a channel in the plastic base that accomadates the EL tape and the end result should sit flush , although as you're going to leave the rubber grommets , it is tight to get the tape with its wiring in there .
If by chance you should screw up your plates , I could always send you a new set jeje, you could even put "Bradley" on them ..
How much does it cost for just your stainless steel ones, are they laser cut?
I need details lol

·
Premium Member 2000 SLK230
2,624 Posts
Bumping...

You still doing the lighted door sills? And if so, can you do them in other colors?

I'm thinking something like this in orange.

designoSLK Sill.JPG

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.