Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered 2009 SLK300
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bad day today. Sitting here steaming. My 2003 SLK 230 daily driver got rear-ended this morning and pushed into the car in front of me, so I've got front and rear damage. Appears to be mostly body damage. Drove away from the scene, and will drive home later, but that's it. It will be out of service. When I look at everything that's damaged, I figure its a minimum $5,000. repair.
Edmunds and Kelly Blue give me a dealer trade value of 1600-1900. Private sale of $2600 - 3200. So I'm expecting the insurance company to
total the car and I'll get a measly check.
So I started looking on autotrader for a replacement. Prices are high and no where close to what edmunds and kelly say....
Obviously, what people ask and what they get are 2 different things, but it looks like I'm going to be taking a big hit on this, no pun intended.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,379 Posts
sorry for that.

Maybe time to move up to a r171 and a 55

·
Super Moderator 2006 SLK 280
11,084 Posts
Having been an insurance adjuster for over 40 years let me state, nothing is set in stone. Do your research. Accumulate information of available cars of like,kind and quality. Put together any info you have as to the condition of your car (receipts,photos, mods,service records) If what they are offering you doesn't match what the market is showing demand that they find you a replacement that is as good as yours.

·
Super Moderator UK 2002 SLK320 Blue
3,085 Posts
Really sorry to hear that. Hope you're OK. And good luck in your discussions with the insurance company.

In the UK you sometimes have to be careful that the insurance company don't set off automatic 'helpers' like hire cars and 'free' recovery - particularly if they think the third party's insurance company will pay. All these put up the cost of the claim and can lower the chances of your pride and joy being repaired.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Whoa sorry for your loss. The advice from the adjuster above is spot on I believe. The problem you may have is proving that your car was actually better quality than what the book values show, since after all, everything is relative and the value of anything is always subjective.
I went through this with my Mazda prior to buying my SLK. I had the option to buy it from the insurance company, with a state issued "salvage" title. I was fortunate to find a buyer for it despite that fact and in the end recouped about 75% of my initial investment. After driving the car for two years I was quite satisfied with the outcome. I hope things work out in your favor, or at least that you don't lose too much in the process.

·
Registered
351 Posts
That is a bummer indeed. So sorry to hear about it.

With a regular auto insurance policy, that lists the replacement value as "ACV" Actual Cash Value. On a daily driver 14 years old.. I would guess you would be very lucky to get $5K.

Common practice here in Florida, is for the Insurance Adjustor to pull a current listing of actual sales - from the State DMV records, where Selling Price and Sales Tax Paid indicates the actual cash paid for any specific model - usually over a 2 to 3 year spread. If your Adjustor goes by that - you'll be lucky to get $3K.

Just the way it usually is - if you don't have any physical injury.

·
Registered 2013 SLK250
278 Posts
My 99 SLK230 with around 75K miles was totaled when another at fault driver ran me over. I went directly to their insurance, told my insurance I didn't want then involved unless I had trouble. I told the adjuster firmly that this car was perfect as I always kept it up. And they would never find another one that nice. Had all records for the last few years. Told him I didn't want to get low balled on the value. He came back with estimate way over book right off the bat, had added extra for condition of seats, paint, ect. Even vehicle taxes for the purchase of replacement car. First offer which I took was almost $10,000 . I took it and was paid right away. Even paid for the rental car.
Good luck, hope everything works out for you.

·
Super Moderator 2006 SLK 280
11,084 Posts
Most Ins. adjusters are good people just trying to do their jobs. Old timers like me are also car nuts and appreciate cars and their value. As stated by DucatiSteve have your ammo ready, but go into the negotiations on an amicable basis. While adjusters are normally good people they also don't like people who treat them like they just fell off the truck. Work with them fairly and they will most times bend over backwards to do you right.

·
Registered 2009 SLK300
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the input. As far as the insurance goes, I'm on hold right now. Cops took everyone's info, have to wait for the police report to get
the other guys details so I can call his company. cop said 5 to 7 days.
I did visit with my auto body guy, and we are convinced the car will be totaled, so I'm actively looking for a replacement.
Looked at another 230 yesterday, but it had issues. Expect to look at a 300 tomorrow. Might move up in the world a bit.

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
28,156 Posts
No update on insurance yet, but I did buy a replacement. Moved up to a 171.....2009 slk300, 30,000 miles, one owner, in like new condition.
Congratulations on the new motor.

Thanks for updating your vehicle details already too.

Now you have a couple of weeks to get three great photos ready for the January RoTM.

·
Registered
628 Posts
My 99 SLK230 with around 75K miles was totaled when another at fault driver ran me over. I went directly to their insurance, told my insurance I didn't want then involved unless I had trouble. I told the adjuster firmly that this car was perfect as I always kept it up. And they would never find another one that nice. Had all records for the last few years. Told him I didn't want to get low balled on the value. He came back with estimate way over book right off the bat, had added extra for condition of seats, paint, ect. Even vehicle taxes for the purchase of replacement car. First offer which I took was almost $10,000 . I took it and was paid right away. Even paid for the rental car.
Good luck, hope everything works out for you.
Similar to what happened to my 2000 SLK230.

No update on insurance yet, but I did buy a replacement. Moved up to a 171.....2009 slk300, 30,000 miles, one owner, in like new condition.
Pretty much what I did too (2006 SLK280, 85K miles). 30K miles ... it's a baby! :) Good luck with it.

G

·
Registered 2009 SLK300
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Heard from the insurance. They're offering $5100. Its actually more than I expected.

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG; 2000 SLK320
210 Posts
Seems not all insurance companies are out to con you. Last year after an accident my Honda Civic was badly front-ended. Insurance company brought it home 200 miles, sent an assessor the following day who declared it a write off. I was expecting a book value of £3500-3800, but he immediately offered me £5000 and the cash was in my bank account the following day. Couldn't fault it - nice one Tesco.

Enjoy your new car, it's nice to go up in the world :smile:

·
Registered 2001 SLK320
50 Posts
Oh, man. I know how you feel, the same thing happened to me back in July. I got rear-ended and pushed into the car in front of me. Car was driveable but there was frame damage and the insurance company totaled it. I felt they low-balled the valuation and after a lot of research and negotiation got it raised over 10%. I bought a similar, slightly better SLK and it all worked out for the best, but it was such a hassle for a few weeks there. Best of luck, because that what it comes down to sometimes. You can be the best driver around and take wonderful care of your car, and still lose it in an accident like that.

·
Registered
320 Posts
The's a bummer for the new year! Hope you get it sorted. It does not take much to total a car these days, particularly a Merc!
Hope the new year beings you better luck!

Mobi

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.