Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I had a call a couple of weeks ago from my local MB dealer asking if I want a free health check on mt SLK to which I said "I'll ring you back". Well I forgot all about it and I've a missed call from them today and I'm expecting them ringing back. My question is, would you have them do a free health check but have an indy dealer do the work at half the price or is it only free if they take out any work needed?

Cheers

Joe

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,316 Posts
If it is free it is for me as long as I can watch and make sure they are not 'sabotaging' anything so they get to fix it later

·
Registered 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
3,470 Posts
I went in for one with 16K miles on it, and was told my pads would need replacement at next oil change. I pulled the pads myself and they look like new. Guess who I won't use for work on my car?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Yes but MB will also give you a video link so you can see for your self what needs doing if anything but break pads when they get to about 20mm MB will want to replace them the health check is useful.

·
Registered 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
3,470 Posts
Mine did not even tell me the thickness of the pads. Just that in 6-7 months I would need new pads and rotors in the front. The car only had 16K babied miles on it.

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK 280-sold
3,552 Posts
Mine did not even tell me the thickness of the pads. Just that in 6-7 months I would need new pads and rotors in the front. The car only had 16K babied miles on it.

That's disappointing. No timing triggers for pads and rotors, and I just replaced my fronts at 80,000 miles. The rears weren't any where close to wearing out, and the fronts have a wear sensor anyway. Either get another SA or another Dealer/Independent.

Or you can just call them on it, ask for the Manager, and see if they change their tune. May not work but it would be fun. :)

·
Registered
350 Posts
Yes but MB will also give you a video link so you can see for your self what needs doing if anything but break pads when they get to about 20mm MB will want to replace them the health check is useful.
20mm??? that is 2cm! about 3 to 5mm would be more the area to start changing them.
my daughter took her car for an MOT (annual legal check ) they said it needed brake pads. i had put new ones in for mot!!!! needless to say when she pointed this out they back-tracked very quickly!
and my wife got a bill of £175 to fit an exhaust to our campervan. that got taken off the bill also!
beware the robbers! >:D

·
Registered
192 Posts
Forgive me for being naive but I would trust my local MB sales/garage/service if they advise problems! My (perhaps misguided?) faith lies in the thought that they have too much "reputation" to lose if exposed for rigging the car for faults.

I just had an M.O.T. AND health check down for £34 (special offer) and the only advisory was that the front pads were down to 30% and rears to 50%. Everything else passed. The bloke said, don't worry unduly about the wear but give it some consideration in the near future. I thought that was a very fair experience and the ball is firmly in my court as to when and who gets to replace the pads.

Loads will disagree with my opinion as we all know of someone who has had a bad experience, but I reckon I have to trust SOMEONE with my car!

·
Registered--In between SLK's
14,714 Posts
I had 'health check' in the summer buy MB Heathrow,

Car came back fine with a print out advising me that my front pads need changing in the near future, they didn't try the hard push which was nice, i'll be getting the 'winter health check' too in the next month or so

Worth it i'd say as they washed and cleaned the car too and topped up the washer fluid and left the remainder of the bottle in the boot!

·
Minstrel uk
61 Posts
I would find it hard to believe that a Mercedes Benz workshop would advice you work needed doing if it didn't,I have total faith in my dealership bit expensive but I all ways feel they gave done a very good job, the car is alway washed and clean inside unless I ask them not to,and of course there is always the free coffee and biscuits

·
Registered
241 Posts
yes the coffee and biscutes and coke and fruit juice are nice while your waiting and they have this thing called mobilo life that means if your car has an electrical broblem or flat batery or break down they will come out and repair it or if you need a body shop after an accident they will take it to an MB and pay your cab home who. needs the AA when you get this service for servicing with MB i think its really great. for a service

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.