Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I bought a 2005 slk 1.8 manual just 2 weeks ago , I returned it to the dealer last week , I cannot get the hand brake to work ( I.e hold the car ) the dealer fitted new pads , but this still hasn't solved the problem . The hand breake in in the usuall place i.e. By the gear stick , it would seam a few people have had this problem , I do need to resolve this as we live in a very hilly rural area .
The brakes aren't covered by warranty , are they so difficult to adjust and get right ?
Can take the car to local mechanic but if there tricky I need to be able to tell him what to adjust ! Local merc service center has a very bad reputation so loathed to take it there
Your help would be appreciated
Thanks annette

·
*Premium Member
2004 SLK200K
10,777 Posts
Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK forum from Madrid..

Some tips to make your visit here more enjoyable:
If you haven't, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page
for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember,
'Search' is your friend.
If you wish to become PM (Private Message) capable, you need 15 posts. To
get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the 'New members introduce yourself
here' section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to
PM. You can always pm a moderator.
Want to post a picture? Start a new thread or make a post, click 'edit',
click on the 'paper clip' or 'advanced' and/or 'manage attachments' then
'choose file' then 'upload' and 'submit'! If Iphone pics, you need to rename
any additional pics as Iphone names its pics all the same, image.jpg.
Want to 'like' or thank' someone's comments? Use the 'like' button to the
right or the 'Thanks' button, bottom right of any post you like. This saves
you having to comment.
New members should be aware that the 'New Posts' link next to the 'Search'
link top right of the info bar is a great way to see all of the posts you
have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums
read' under 'quick links' when you leave.
FREE!! Post your vin in the Vehicle Datacard Request section to get a free
datacard (options on your car). You must update your profile with vehicle
info and your location and post an introduction first.
Also vote or enter our Ride of the Month competition:
ROTM Submissions & Voting - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum

Cheers, Craige.

·
Founding Member 2006
108,819 Posts
Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from Valrico, Florida!

First please update your location and vehicle (year?: 1996-2016, model?: 32, 200, 230, 250, 280, 300,320,350,55) in your profile as it helps the members answer your questions which usually are based on that information if you haven’t. This takes about 30 seconds to do.
Follow exactly to update: ‘Usercp’ at the top of page, then ‘edit your details’ on the left side, ‘additional information’ near the bottom, edit your ‘location’ and ‘vehicle’. Info in your garage does not update your profile.

Your 1st thread should be your introduction so we can welcome you properly so post an introduction in the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section, if you haven’t already. New Members Introduce Yourself Here - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum

Thank you
Jeff
Moderator/Founding Member/Ride of the Month Coordinator

·
**Registered 2009 SLK200
5,858 Posts
Hi I bought a 2005 slk 1.8 manual just 2 weeks ago , I returned it to the dealer last week , I cannot get the hand brake to work ( I.e hold the car ) the dealer fitted new pads , but this still hasn't solved the problem . The hand breake in in the usuall place i.e. By the gear stick , it would seam a few people have had this problem , I do need to resolve this as we live in a very hilly rural area .
The brakes aren't covered by warranty , are they so difficult to adjust and get right ?
Can take the car to local mechanic but if there tricky I need to be able to tell him what to adjust ! Local merc service center has a very bad reputation so loathed to take it there
Thanks annette
Any good mechanic should be able to fix a handbrake issue fault .
Its just eliminating the fault or failing part .

So if the dealer has fitted new pads then they have fitted or done the job wrong .
Rear pads have nothing to do with the handbrake !!!

Do you mean they replaced the internal handbrake shoes inside the disc / drum ??

·
Banned
2013 SLK55 AMG
1,901 Posts
In my experience the SLK handbrake isn't the best and as stated in the link the lever is a tad difficult to pull on effectively. But if working properly should be adequate for the job. On a 2005 car it may be the handbrake hubs themselves are worn and need replacing as well as the shoes. I would expect a main dealer to spot this and rectify accordingly.
Did you buy the car from an MB dealership?

TonyS

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK350
2,562 Posts
Hard to imagine the shoes of the hand brake need replacement. When the hand brake is applied the car is not moving so, unless someone is driving with the hand brake applied, there is no way for the shoes to wear and especially wear out to the point of needing replacement.

When the inside hand brake lever is pulled up it pulls on cables that go to each of the rear wheels. This cable causes the hand brake shoes to move out and against the small drum which is part of the rear brake disk.

Over time the cable can be stretched with use, which will mean adjusting the cable is necessary to move the shoes sufficiently. The cable slides inside an outer casing but with time the cable can become corroded inside the casing which can limit the amount of cable movement.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Brake pads

Any good mechanic should be able to fix a handbrake issue fault .
Its just eliminating the fault or failing part .

So if the dealer has fitted new pads then they have fitted or done the job wrong .
Rear pads have nothing to do with the handbrake !!!

Do you mean they replaced the internal handbrake shoes inside the disc / drum ??
They told me they fitted new brake pads that would need bedding in ???
I've spoken to another mechanic not so far away it sounds like he knows more
So taking it Friday , many thanks

·
**Registered 2009 SLK200
5,858 Posts
They told me they fitted new brake pads that would need bedding in ???
I've spoken to another mechanic not so far away it sounds like he knows more
So taking it Friday , many thanks
If you specified to them your Handbrake is failing or not working as it should and told them to look at handbrake issues etc
And they changed your rear brake pads you should enquire what has rear brake pads got to do with the Handbrake ???

Nothing at all thats to do with braking and stopping the car .

Ask for an explanation or money back .

Handbrake issues are either
1 Hanbrake mechanism ( failing )
2 Handbrake cables (worn or seized etc )
3 Inner handbrake shoes worn
4 Inner shoes adjusters seized up etc
5 Disc / drum inner surface corroded and worn as in brake contact to inner shoes
6 Something jammed in Hanbrake handle mechanism
7 or the inner shoes need to be adjusted correctly .

Its such a simple thing to do on a slk
And any mechanic can suss it our or rectify etc

But id be concerned why they fitted rear brake pads on your car and not the Handbrake fault
and paid and not rectified . !!??

Its like saying ive got a small side light bulb out at the front of headlight and them changing the rear indicator bulb at rear . :surprise:

·
*Registered
2005 SLK55 AMG
1,893 Posts
Thanks annette

Of course the handbrake is covered by the warranty -it's an MOT requirement to be working. You have a statutory 90 day warranty even before you consider any other contractual obligation by the dealer. Insist that they correct it or advise them you will seek legal redress - and name and shame them in the media...

ETA: I'm assuming that you bought it from the dealer to whom you returned it.

·
**Registered 2009 SLK200
5,858 Posts
Thanks annette

So whats the update on your car or not been investigated yet ?

·
Registered 2015 SLK200
97 Posts
I will add to this old thread, the hand brake on the SLK R171 is very poor, in fact I would say it is the worst hand brake on any modern car, if your SLK is auto you will not notice this, it is the faulty design around the fulcrum point, instead of a long lever which you pull on fastened to the hinge point, Mercedes because of the cars design had to bend the lever back towards the hing point shortening the lever by half, you hand is above the hing, we sold ours because of this, if I managed to pull the brake on enough to actually hold the car I then needed 2 hands to get it off, wife could not drive car, rubbish design.

·
**Registered 2009 SLK200
5,858 Posts
I will add to this old thread, the hand brake on the SLK R171 is very poor, in fact I would say it is the worst hand brake on any modern car, if your SLK is auto you will not notice this, it is the faulty design around the fulcrum point, instead of a long lever which you pull on fastened to the hinge point, Mercedes because of the cars design had to bend the lever back towards the hing point shortening the lever by half, you hand is above the hing, we sold ours because of this, if I managed to pull the brake on enough to actually hold the car I then needed 2 hands to get it off, wife could not drive car, rubbish design.
With an Auto box who uses a handbrake ?
Mine gets used once a year for mot purposes if that .
And yes its well greased and pulled just in case ;)

·
*Registered
2006 SLK350
36 Posts
I have not had the same experience. The handbrake is quite effective on my 2006 with manual transmission. It holds car on a slope and it is not difficult to disengage. Perhaps this car is more unforgiving of a brake that is out of adjustment.

·
* Administrator (Premium Member)
37,774 Posts
With an Auto box who uses a handbrake ?
Mine gets used once a year for mot purposes if that .
And yes its well greased and pulled just in case ;)
Me.
If at lights for a while I put trans into N and use the handbrake.

Saves sitting with a foot on the brake.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.